1086 battery

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
The battery on my tractor is finally shot, it was on it when I bought it several years ago and the date on it is 8/12. My trouble is that it only has one battery currently on it, and I wanna go back with 2 but not sure how I should wire them up. I've gone thru my books but can't find anything on it. It starts fine with one in the summer but hard to start when below 50 degrees. Thanks

I assume it's 12 volt you hook + to + to and - to - . I ran 2 for yrs but last time I bought a HD truck battery that nearly fills the box up with screw post and put brass ends on cables and have had 0 problem last 3 yrs

With 12v batteries, wire them in parallel. + to +, - to chassis ground. You'll need to replace the heavy crossover cable if it's missing, it will need to go between the positive posts on both batteries.

Even if it did use 6v batteries before, I wouldn't put them back in.

I have a 1486 with two batteries and they are wired in parallel. Positive cable from each battery attached to the starter solenoid post and the negative cables (one from each battery) attached to a bolt near the starter. You'll probably need to get the cables fabricated at your local parts store because no body makes or sells cables above about 10 ga. wire.

Went and got batteries, thanks for the replies. Both ends of the cables are broke going from hot to hot and on one side it's got an end missing on the ground cable. Can I ground both negative batteries to the frame or do I need to run then together and then to the frame.

And anyone ever have any luck/ideas on how to bleed injectors off. Replaced some o rings in the injector pump and can not get it to start. We tried bleeding lined lines and can't get any results. The tractor was running when I parked it to do some minor repairs.
Thanks

Ky cowboy":2buji4z6 said:
Went and got batteries, thanks for the replies. Both ends of the cables are broke going from hot to hot and on one side it's got an end missing on the ground cable. Can I ground both negative batteries to the frame or do I need to run then together and then to the frame.

And anyone ever have any luck/ideas on how to bleed injectors off. Replaced some o rings in the injector pump and can not get it to start. We tried bleeding lined lines and can't get any results. The tractor was running when I parked it to do some minor repairs.
Thanks

Both can be grounded to the frame. The closer to the starter, the better.

To prime the fuel system, loosen the fuel line inlet on the injector pump and push the lever on the lift pump until no air comes out. If it doesn't want to start then, loosen each injector line at the injector and crank until you can see fuel, tighten them and it should start.

Best to have the batteries on a strong charger or a vehicle with jumper cables during the process, it can take a lot of cranking, especially starting with empty lines.

I had fuel to the injector pump but couldn't get it to come thru the injector pump to start up the lines. Gotta work the next 6 days so i got time to think and get madder before I get back to it. We took the cap off where the fuel lines go out to the injectors and pulled the main "body" out and replaced the o ring on it and the one under and now I can't get fuel past it. Guess I'll have to tear it back down and triple check. Sounds like I messed the going back together part

Got off work early today, finally got it running. Had to take the injector pump back apart and re- time everything, bleed the lines and got it going thanks for the help everyone.

Latest posts