$100K 2018 Ford Super Duty

Help Support CattleToday:

Pickups have gotten crazy high.
A coworker just bought a new F-250 diesel in order to pull a bigger trailer for work.
He said everything included it cost him 63k
It'll last probably 4 years and it'll have so many miles it won't be worth much in trade.
So it's costing him 15k a year

Cross-7":7r46mayk said:
A coworker just bought a new F-250 diesel in order to pull a bigger trailer for work.
It'll last probably 4 years and it'll have so many miles it won't be worth much in trade.

I like buying old trucks with good bodies and putting in new motors and transmission and changing out bearing and other stuff IMO its like a new truck for 1/3 the price

skyhightree1":2kgqf3ut said:
Cross-7":2kgqf3ut said:

I like buying old trucks with good bodies and putting in new motors and transmission and changing out bearing and other stuff IMO its like a new truck for 1/3 the price
You prefer gas or diesel for a rebuilt work truck?

RanchMan90":2vxi4b0l said:
skyhightree1":2vxi4b0l said:
Cross-7":2vxi4b0l said:

You prefer gas or diesel for a rebuilt work truck?

Gas for the simple face I can fix anything on a gas motor pretty reasonably and im able to do the work myself. I don't mind diesels if its a ford truck that carries a 7.3 those IMO were the best diesels. Another thing gas burners have going for it is that we travel a lot of places for work and quite a few places do not have diesel at the stations.

Prices are absolutely stupid now, even decent used stuff is crazy.. I'm going to stick to the 2nd gen dodges, build up a good collection of parts, especially bodywork, and drive them forever... Besides the fact that no one really makes a work truck anymore.. it's all excessively complicated and full of black boxes that control everything.. Seriously, you don't need a computer to control the heater fan, you don't need computerized seats that remember the position for every driver, etc etc etc.

Nesikep":2ph2bl6v said:
Prices are absolutely stupid now, even decent used stuff is crazy.. I'm going to stick to the 2nd gen dodges, build up a good collection of parts, especially bodywork, and drive them forever... Besides the fact that no one really makes a work truck anymore.. it's all excessively complicated and full of black boxes that control everything.. Seriously, you don't need a computer to control the heater fan, you don't need computerized seats that remember the position for every driver, etc etc etc.

and a few inches of floodwater that will disable any newer vehicle would leave an older vehicle ready to run.
Lots of folks have found this out the hard way..

Its the dealers fault as much as anything. They don't want to stock trucks without all the extras. When I bought my Ram 3500 dually with a cummins, I wanted the Tradesman package with no chrome and only the "popular equipment package".
There was only one within 100 miles of the DFW area. The dealer I talked to had 42 others on the lot. I found it listed on the internet for 43K which was cheaper than the build it price on the Ram website. When I drove 75 miles down to the dealer, they quoted me 49K for their best price. They were not to happy when I showed them the internet price but they honored it. Dealers are crooks.

I don't like what the high price of new trucks is doing to the used market.

Anything diesel, even if you can chuck a softball through the fender and the floor has holes big enough to pass a beer bottle, is priced 4000+.

Anything clean is 10k and up, even if it's nearing 30 years old and has 250k on it.

Case in point, it's not even 4x4.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 86684.html

skyhightree1":8103vrmj said:
Cross-7":8103vrmj said:

Makes me think of our '88 GMC.

bird dog":ku9mj9kr said:
Its the dealers fault as much as anything. They don't want to stock trucks without all the extras. When I bought my Ram 3500 dually with a cummins, I wanted the Tradesman package with no chrome and only the "popular equipment package".
There was only one within 100 miles of the DFW area. The dealer I talked to had 42 others on the lot. I found it listed on the internet for 43K which was cheaper than the build it price on the Ram website. When I drove 75 miles down to the dealer, they quoted me 49K for their best price. They were not to happy when I showed them the internet price but they honored it. Dealers are crooks.

Back in '06, husband went through a similar thing. Looking for a basic, "stripped-down" version of the Chevy Silverado, work truck series. Took a while to find one without the power windows, power locks, and all the fancy-schmancy bells & whistles. They kept trying to sell him the high-dollar models. Finally found what he was looking for.

midTN_Brangusman":1bmdtspt said:
I wouldn't spend a 100k on a truck regardless how much money I had. That's ridiculous

:nod: :nod:

When I first saw this ad for the truck all I could think of was how many houses, how much acreage etc that would buy.

Workinonit Farm":6y8d8a1f said:
skyhightree1":6y8d8a1f said:
Cross-7":6y8d8a1f said:

Unfortunately, It is a GMC but if its not rusted out better keep it long as possible cheaper to drop new motor and tranny vs buying a new one

skyhightree1":xtnfrasn said:
Workinonit Farm":xtnfrasn said:
skyhightree1":xtnfrasn said:

Unfortunately, It is a GMC but if its not rusted out better keep it long as possible cheaper to drop new motor and tranny vs buying a new one

I bought for $100.00, from where I used to work, a bunch of years ago. It sat (there) for almost 8 years! They had trouble keeping it running, so they parked it, I bought it, thinking we would use it for parts for the '88 Chevy I had at the time. They were both the 3/4 ton. Husband ended up putting a couple hundred dollars and a few hours into it, and it runs great. We've been using it for a few years now.

That's 6 times what I paid for my first house and it had 2 bathrooms.

Latest posts