$100K 2018 Ford Super Duty

Help Support CattleToday:

No inflation here.....Just keep moving along. Lots of fat cats to keep fed, but don't forget about how much the unions improved the quality of life of all the auto industry workers. There are plenty of them that have been retired a whole lot longer than they worked, and draw a better check for it. Where do you suppose that $ comes from? Don't get me wrong, I think that there was a time that unions were necessary to improve work environments to a relatively safe level, but those days have passed. Now they just insure that you don't have to do much to get paid, and no matter how bad you are at your job, you can't be fired. Now that I've ruffled the feathers of all the union dogs on here......I have right at $70k in my newest truck. (Ram 5500 with max tow package) I was 13 years in on the old one, and needed a KW T600 and an International 4700 to keep up. KW was an 88 model, Int was an 01 with the dreaded 466E. I sold the KW and the Int, and took the best old Cummins pick up out of the fencing fleet. We used to need 4 trucks, now just 2. I haven't taken the time to break down the numbers, but I'd just about bet that the new truck has already paid for it's self by not laying down on the job once(lol....it was always twice) a week. There are a whole lot of "I'd never"s in this thread, and I get that because you don't see yourselves ever having the need......But what if you could spend $100K once every 5 years and it guaranteed you a $50k per year raise? Yes, $100k is ridiculous, but sometimes warranted. My wrenching skills are out of practice, and I like it.

hillbilly beef man":1acr2k6i said:
Nesikep":1acr2k6i said:
Power mirrors aren't typically computerized, and the backup camera is a feature on a decent stereo head unit.. Still no excuse for buying a 100K truck!

I would like to see how these integrated brake controllers work. I haven't found an aftermarket brake controller I like yet.. the time based ones have to be set soft when you're hauling cattle, making them absolutely useless if you have an emergency, and the inertia based ones require the truck brakes to do too much of the work.. and they don't work when you're stopped. I'm working on designing my own that goes off brake line pressure.. it's the only way you can get them to do what you want methinks

The integrated brake controllers works off of the pressure on your brake pedal. The harder you jab the brakes, the harder the TBC applies the trailer brakes.

It's magic, and I like it.

Farm Fence Solutions":38vlq056 said:
No inflation here.....Just keep moving along. Lots of fat cats to keep fed, but don't forget about how much the unions improved the quality of life of all the auto industry workers. There are plenty of them that have been retired a whole lot longer than they worked, and draw a better check for it. Where do you suppose that $ comes from? Don't get me wrong, I think that there was a time that unions were necessary to improve work environments to a relatively safe level, but those days have passed. Now they just insure that you don't have to do much to get paid, and no matter how bad you are at your job, you can't be fired. Now that I've ruffled the feathers of all the union dogs on here......I have right at $70k in my newest truck. (Ram 5500 with max tow package) I was 13 years in on the old one, and needed a KW T600 and an International 4700 to keep up. KW was an 88 model, Int was an 01 with the dreaded 466E. I sold the KW and the Int, and took the best old Cummins pick up out of the fencing fleet. We used to need 4 trucks, now just 2. I haven't taken the time to break down the numbers, but I'd just about bet that the new truck has already paid for it's self by not laying down on the job once(lol....it was always twice) a week. There are a whole lot of "I'd never"s in this thread, and I get that because you don't see yourselves ever having the need......But what if you could spend $100K once every 5 years and it guaranteed you a $50k per year raise? Yes, $100k is ridiculous, but sometimes warranted. My wrenching skills are out of practice, and I like it.

It's a different game when you own a business. It's not the cost of the repairs it's the cost of the down time that you are trying to avoid.

Govt regs are also a big factor. Plus, in general there is a race to come out with the latest and greatest. Look at phones or any thing else. There is a huge race going on right now in the auto market, especially in the diesel market.

GMs new LP5 motor is built for more power then they are doing right now. They already planned for the next hp & torque bump from other major 2.

Brute 23":2tpouhrw said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2tpouhrw said:

It's a different game when you own a business. It's not the cost of the repairs it's the cost of the down time that you are trying to avoid.

Govt regs are also a big factor. Plus, in general there is a race to come out with the latest and greatest. Look at phones or any thing else. There is a huge race going on right now in the auto market, especially in the diesel market.

GMs new LP5 motor is built for more power then they are doing right now. They already planned for the next hp & torque bump from other major 2.

They are all chasing the performance and longevity of the 25 year old technology of a 5.9 12V Cummins. Nesikep can tell you all about it, but back in the good ol days, we could buy em cheap, throw a thousand bucks under the hood, and have a clutch eating monster that makes 25MPG. Now, I don't claim to be an expert, but simple math leads me to think that if I'm burning three times the fuel, that's more emissions and global warming, isn't it? Everyone I know that has bought a new road tractor lately has opted for a glider kit and planted a good old fashioned brand new mechanical engine between the rails. Costs an extra $30k up front, but pays it back in less than 2 years....they tell me.

I did update a little bit ago to a 2017 f350 diesel. So far empty on our steep winding roads I'm getting 20 mpg, and about 11 mpg pulling my living quarters horse trailer. Pulls it so much nicer than our 2005 Cummins.
I would not have bought the thing though if it didn't pay for itself. I am unfortunate enough to still have to spend some time in the oil patch to pay for my ranching habit, but fortunate that my truck gets paid well for carting me around. Being broke down is not a valid excuse for not being at work, and there comes a point when you lose your faith in an older vehicle.

Latest posts