100% or ??

Help Support CattleToday:

3ECATTLE

Reaction score
What do yall think? Is this 100% jersey or a cross???? Shes a very good mama and let's any calf nurse anytime hers or not I've seen 2 on her at the same time and neither of them was hers. Just kinda curious as to what exactly she might be!?

Attachments

• 20210721_163322.jpg
    20210721_163322.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
I'm going to say she is not 100% Jersey, likely to have some Hereford in her. I've had a few Jersey Hereford crosses and they can be brindle like that.

Thats a good break down lots of interesting info! Thanks!

Had a lot of local guys tell me I messed up buying this cow because she's a jersey and she's going to raise small calves and off colored calves but I've had 2 calves from her first from registered polled herf bull = herf marked heifer she weighed 416 lbs when weaned at a touch over 6 months. And now she has a nice bull calf from my young bull that's 3 months old and dwarfs every other calf I have and 2 are a month older (different sires)!

I wanna ad that this site is amazing! I could talk about cows all day long it's just finding someone to talk to that knows and cares about the topic!!!!

Definitely not 100% anything other than cow.
Could be Jersey, but could be a Braunvieh-cross, too. I had quite a few mealy-mouthed brindles in the herd, not unlike her looks, from breeding Shorthorn and red-carrier SimAngus cows to Braunvieh bulls. Crossing a 'wild-color' animal(think Jersey, Braunvieh, Aubrac, etc. with a red(or red-carrier) can get you brindles fairly reliably.
If her calves are really performing, it may be Braunvieh/Brown Swiss in the woodpile, rather than Jersey.

Thats a good break down lots of interesting info! Thanks!

Had a lot of local guys tell me I messed up buying this cow because she's a jersey and she's going to raise small calves and off colored calves but I've had 2 calves from her first from registered polled herf bull = herf marked heifer she weighed 416 lbs when weaned at a touch over 6 months. And now she has a nice bull calf from my young bull that's 3 months old and dwarfs every other calf I have and 2 are a month older (different sires)!

I wanna ad that this site is amazing! I could talk about cows all day long it's just finding someone to talk to that knows and cares about the topic!!!!
Glad you found us!

When I had some Jersey cows, their calves by Angus and Hereford bulls grew out pretty good. The half Jersey half beef breed cows usually would wean off some real nice calves by Angus bulls.

Well whatever she is I like it and would buy a dozen just like her if I could!!!

Thanks! I'm glad I found this place too! I have a ton of questions and some more odd colors to share!

This is her 3 month old bull calf she has now! Maybe not to everyone but to me he is growing exceptionally well!

Attachments

• 20210721_163306.jpg
    20210721_163306.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
The brindle color along with the white socks and spot on her face would make me bet Jersey X Red Holstein.

Here's another one of my mystery cows!
That color calf you would have to almost give away here.
Margins are super tight on grade calves, there is no way that calf could cover the dams inputs for a year.
Not being mean it's just fact, you're not maximizing your returns while raising a welfare cattle someone to enjoy.

It's a bull. But there's a local guy that I believe going to buy the pair. He has alot of skunk cows and says they make the best low maintenance cows. So I'll probably replace her with a black or baldy heifer or older pair if I can get one at a decent price locally!

That color calf you would have to almost give away here.
Margins are super tight on grade calves, there is no way that calf could cover the dams inputs for a year.
Not being mean it's just fact, you're not maximizing your returns while raising a welfare cattle someone to enjoy.
Bet sales of black paint are off the charts in your corner of the world.

Latest posts