$100,000 Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

w
There is a lot of funny money out there. Are these two bulls worth what was paid? Likely not but such is life. I personally have had bad experiences with the Line 1 gene pool but hey someone likes them and a rising tide lifts all ships they say.
whatever gets sold is worth what is paid to someone that is buying it. I know there are backdoor deals but in an actual sales that's how it works

Pshhh... $100,000 ... how about $400,000 ... #1 on this sale going on right now...

Yeah, Gardiner Angus sold 1/2 interest in a bull for $450,000 on Saturday. I'd never heard of the buyer -- so I googled them and they had an article in a smaller news outlet from 2019 where they mention having <25 herd cows.

I guess I need to up my bids at the next auction, haha.

If you guys think this is bad, you should see the performance horse world. And that is still small potatoes compared to the race horse industry paying $1M+ for YEARLING horses that have never been under saddle.

If you guys think this is bad, you should see the performance horse world. And that is still small potatoes compared to the race horse industry paying $1M+ for YEARLING horses that have never been under saddle.
I went to a horse sale in Cody Wyoming a couple years ago. They had one ranch gelding sell for $110,000. It was a nice well trained horse, but I didn't think it was worth that much. The seller made out like a bandit.

I went to a horse sale in Cody Wyoming a couple years ago. They had one ranch gelding sell for $110,000. It was a nice well trained horse, but I didn't think it was worth that much. The seller made out like a bandit.
Two people had a case of I-want-that-horse and deep pockets. There is no way any horse in the world is worth that kind of money to work cows. It just doesn't pencil out.

We do cutting horses, and I watch the big sale in Fort Worth every December for something to do. Had one sell for $1M a couple years ago. She's made back about $270K, and will no doubt sell babies for a lot, but that's a lot of money to get back.

Billy Wolf bought that one, if anyone here knows that name. He may be a nice guy, but he seems like a rich "look at me" type. Teton Ridge and Yellowstone are bringing folks in and prices are getting stupid.

Two people had a case of I-want-that-horse and deep pockets. There is no way any horse in the world is worth that kind of money to work cows. It just doesn't pencil out.
not sure what you mean by pencil out, the value of the horse is what someone will pay and feel good about. I don't think they were worried about ROI, the purchase made them feel good

not sure what you mean by pencil out, the value of the horse is what someone will pay and feel good about. I don't think they were worried about ROI, the purchase made them feel good
Well that's the way a lot of people think about their budget. If it makes me feel good, it's worth it! Trucks, tractors, bulls, houses, trophy wives...

Not how I do it, but it's their money. I don't buy a Lamborghini because I don't like paying speeding tickets and that means anything that will do the speed limit is just fine for the job.

you're right about that but it doesn't stop the statement from being true

Have to say that, spending 100k will never make me feel good..
It will if you feel you got something that you perceive as having more value than the money, it's how people buy. Money is just an instrument, what you get for the money is what you want or you don't make the buying decision. No one ever buys anything for themselves they think cost too much, they justify and money perceived value in their head and make the decision, however often they think others paid too much for things because the perception of value in their mind is different. Aren't all of your purchases a great value and doesn't your spouse buy a lot of things that make you scratch your had in wonder?

It also doesn't make them financial geniuses.
no one said it makes financial geniuses of anyone but it is their money and the world as a whole would be a very bleak place if people limited themselves to only buying what they need and not what they want. Almost every retail business would go away, there would be no bars, movie theaters or any places of any entertainment, everyone would be constricted to live in a minimally sized home etc. No one needs a $100,000 bull or horse according to some, but look at what that does for the industry, no one needs a $90,000 pick up or a $150,000 horse trailer but look at what satisfying those wants do for the economy. I see slot of people buying stuff I'd never want so I think it's too much, they see me do the same . Everyone's different, that's what makes the world go around

Latest posts