$100,000 Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
All it takes is about 6 multi-millionaires that like cows. They can trade money back and forth for a while then sucker a mere millionaire to put his money into it. If you added up all of the money made and lost on AI bulls of any kind I would be surprised if the total is positive.

Those two look like about $1.50/lb to me.

That's what I charge myself for every bull I raise and use on the farm: $100,000 each! :devilish: That means that I've got about a million dollars worth of bulls up grazing in the bull pastures. :unsure: And it likely means more than the pumped up presale arranged prices that drives the purebred upper crust because I know the generations in the background and the day to day function of the animals. No fluffed hair, no feed truck, no back patting and trading under the table. Just working bulls. But it is not exciting nor does it take other folk's money.

That's what I charge myself for every bull I raise and use on the farm: $100,000 each! :devilish: That means that I've got about a million dollars worth of bulls up grazing in the bull pastures. :unsure: And it likely means more than the pumped up presale arranged prices that drives the purebred upper crust because I know the generations in the background and the day to day function of the animals. No fluffed hair, no feed truck, no back patting and trading under the table. Just working bulls. But it is not exciting nor does it take other folk's money.
I suppose if one dies while on the farm, that is a $100,000 loss for tax purposes? ;)

There is a lot of funny money out there. Are these two bulls worth what was paid? Likely not but such is life. I personally have had bad experiences with the Line 1 gene pool but hey someone likes them and a rising tide lifts all ships they say.

Hate to say it, but it has happened for years across all breeds. If anybody really knew the details, probably very little money ever changes hands or if it does then probably another animal at another sale goes for a big price to the seller of the first.
A good friend was having a production sale years ago and was approached by the sales manager about setting up a sone sort of deal, he refused, he told them he didn't play that game.
In reality those $100,000 bulls isn't really ground breaking. Remember Schaffs annual sales and prices and the $1,250,000 bull.
I can remember 30 years ago some Charolais bulls supposedly selling for $100,000,
Edit to add, $4250 is the most I've ever paid for a bull and quite frankly he was on of the sorriest I've ever had in terms of how his calves did.
I have AI'd to some of those big money bulls over the years, resulting calves were a range from average to really good.

There was another $100,000 Hereford Bull sold local to me about the same time period. But the 100k only got the purchaser 1/3 semen and 1/2 physical rights. Don't guess he'll ever naturally breed a cow so the physical rights may not matter so much.

But keep in mind that those may not see a natural calf for years. If it's a legit price it's for the opportunity to get eggs from them. They might produce dozens of embryo each year.
Takes a certain kind of person to purchase and flush a multi hundred thousand dollar heifer that has never produced a calf. Many adjectives could be used.

Consider two parts of those high dollar pedigree purchases - genetic value and hope. Probably takes a little time to figure out which was dominant. Then they experience the "thrill of victory" or "agony of defeat".

Those choices are out of my comfort zone.

Latest posts