10 Ton Towing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
A neighbor is towing full silage boxes with K1500 or F250 gas pick ups. Is that asking for trouble, or do you just need to put it in 4 low and let her go?

As long as she keeps the needle down and has decent brakes, everything should work out. Otherwise, give her lots of room and be ready for a funeral.

Worked for a guy that had an old 80's Chevy 3/4 and we chopped 10-15 miles away and he put it in 4 low and held the gas to the floor in 2nd gear up some steep hills and gravel road. I never pulled one and I wouldn't feel safe in my hills! Stopping is the problem not the pulling!

I used to have a 91 3/4 ton GMC with a 4 speed. I've been down the highway in 4 low with the 4x4 fuse out with a few loads. I would have never been able to stop with an automatic.

As they say, if you don't crash or get caught, no foul. However, if the load itself is 10 tons plus the truck weight, the ticket if you get caught is going to be staggering. but it'd likely pale in comparison to the damage you could cause.

gimpyrancher":2xsi7dn6 said:
As they say, if you don't crash or get caught, no foul. However, if the load itself is 10 tons plus the truck weight, the ticket if you get caught is going to be staggering. but it'd likely pale in comparison to the damage you could cause.
Around here they drag those fully loaded 650 bushel wagons around all day long with 3/4 ton fords, it may be hard on the pickup but certainly not illegal.

What is the Max towing weight of a particular 3/4 ton truck?

Here's mine:
07 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Actual GVW: 4,177
Gross Combined Wt Rating (lbs): 16000

That leaves me with 1823# of fuel, oil, tools, don't forget the oversized rims and tires, floor jack and bottle jacks, tire chains, other misc crap in the bed box along with the driver, any passengers and all the parts and tools under the backseat.

If not over, very close. Overweight trucks usually get big fines.

Not saying I didn't do things with vehicles that I shouldn't have when I was younger.