10 Qt. Calf ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin at 1 week, so I told her to give him a little more each day. When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod: He is doing great. Why are the recommendations so much lower?

Probably partly because of the expense and labor of feeding 5x a day.. They will drink lots if it's there.. I know my calves on my heavy milking cows probably drink 4 gallons of milk a day by 6 weeks of age

Partly expense, as Nesi stated, and partly because many have started them on "starter" feed.

I always fed 3X a day, as it is closer to how they would do on their momma. And I always fed a bit more than the bag recommendations, as I found they "did" better.

Stocker Steve":zx1s1hd3 said:
My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin at 1 week, so I told her to give him a little more each day. When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod: He is doing great. Why are the recommendations so much lower?
Because they always did very well on two quarts twice a day, but I fed fresh milk right out of the cow. Never saw a need for any more. Calf starter and fresh water was placed in front of them from day one and replaced daily along with fresh cleaned containers.

Many dairies are now going to feeding a 3 qt bottle a feeding 2 x a day, rather than just the 2 qt bottle. 5 qt a feeding 2x a day is more than I would normally feed. If feeding a little less they are more likely to get to wanting to eat feed than if the milk is supplying all their needs. Plus the expense if buying milk replacer. I am all for feeding 3 qt 2x a day, or at least 2 qt 3x a day.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned scours! If it's working for you that's great BUT for some calves over feeding is a problem

feeding too much PER FEEDING is more dangerous than feeding small feedings more frequently... I usually see my calves nurse every 3 hours or so (maybe less at night?) so about 6x per day.. I don't see any of them being happy with 3 meals a day.. sure, they'll live fine, but it's not nearly as often as "natural".. I do realize it's too much darned work to do though

Stocker Steve":3ke2kkaq said:
My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin... so I told her to give him a little more each day.
When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod:
Maybe you should have checked back with your wife 6 months sooner!
:)

Son of Butch":2ebbbmj5 said:
Stocker Steve":2ebbbmj5 said:
My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin... so I told her to give him a little more each day.
When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod:
Maybe you should have checked back with your wife 6 months sooner!
:)
:nod:

:lol:

She burned through a bag of replacer in no time...

Got the big boy grafted onto a penned up cow now. Still giving him one 2 qt. bottle a day for old times sake.

How soon after they start nursing on the graft cow is it safe to put the pair back in the herd?

When she lets him nurse anytime he goes to her and she is talking to him a little then she has "taken" him. I like to keep them together for 2-3 days after the cow seems to have accepted the calf to make sure....but have turned them out in as little as 24 hours if she is mothering it.

farmerjan":25qgtnpt said:
When she lets him nurse anytime he goes to her and she is talking to him a little then she has "taken" him. I like to keep them together for 2-3 days after the cow seems to have accepted the calf to make sure....but have turned them out in as little as 24 hours if she is mothering it.

:nod: :nod:
I've kept them up, 3 to 4 days, just to be sure, then turned them out.

Latest posts