10 month old calf - Scours?

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple G01

Reaction score
We have a 10 month old calf (Bull) that has been off his momma since June. Nice looking black calf with no previous issues to speak of.

The last few days he's had some profusely loose feces (watery green).

With a calf this age, what do you think he could be experiencing? We've had a rather abnormal summer with the amount of rainfall and cool temps. This has left our pastures in fairly good shape. This calf is on a plot with two 13-month old heifers. The grass is green and plentiful (on this lot anyway). The heifers are not loose.

The bull is eating. No signs of weakness.

Does this imply worms?

Can a calf this "old" scour? Would it automatically be bacterial scours given the age? Is it possible to confidently diagnose without a fecal sample?

Vet asst. recommended feeding some hay.

Opinions appreciated,
Triple G01

on good grass some will be real loose like water & others not. any weeds he may have eaten? yes he could have worms. he could have some disease. i would watch to see how he acts. if he acts sick then i would treat him. wouldn't hurt to worm him if he doesn't act sick

Triple G01":7fddviit said:
With a calf this age, what do you think he could be experiencing? We've had a rather abnormal summer with the amount of rainfall and cool temps. This has left our pastures in fairly good shape.

It sounds like a case of a lot of good grass, combined with the excitement of breeding 2 cycling heifers.

Does this imply worms?

Not necessarily, but if your worming protocol is not up to date, now is as good a time as any.

Can a calf this "old" scour?

Not in the traditional sense, but all 'scours' means is that an animal has diarrhea and that can be caused by a lot of things - too much protein, incorrect diet, acidosis, sudden change of diet, too much excitement, etc.

Would it automatically be bacterial scours given the age?

No.

Vet asst. recommended feeding some hay.

I agree with your vet assistant - plain old grass hay has a way of firming up stools in a lot of cases.

Opinions appreciated,
Triple G01

Latest posts