10 day old calf won't suck

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Yesterday we went to pick up a 10 day old calf as a favor to a friend who is out of the country & has someone caring for his herd. We were told she already knew how to suck, but when we got her home and this morning after trying for about an hour each time, she has had nothing to eat, she won't drink either, we figure she had to have been getting something to eat from somewhere b4 we got her to our place or she wouldn't have made it to 10 days, we're new to this (cattle) but we have horses. she seams like she doesn't know what to do, & heaven knows I don't, any advise would help, I'm trying not to get discouraged too early.

[email protected]

I assume the calf is a dairy calf. Anyway, IF the calf has been sucking a COW (not a bottle) it IS very difficult to get them to suck a bottle. Right now you need to get nutrition in it, which means the calf needs to be fed with an esophogial tuber. If you are unfamiliar with this, you need an experienced neighbor or a vet. I would temp the calf. If it is running a fever it probably will not suck anything. All you can do is keep it fed with a tuber & keep trying to get it to suck. Hold the nipple in his mouth. It helps if the hole in the nipple is increased in size so the milk flows easier. Gently squeeze his mouth over the nipple so milk flows into his mouth holding his head upwards. Good luck, Jeanne

> Yesterday we went to pick up a 10
> day old calf as a favor to a
> friend who is out of the country
> & has someone caring for his
> herd. We were told she already
> knew how to suck, but when we got
> her home and this morning after
> trying for about an hour each
> time, she has had nothing to eat,
> she won't drink either, we figure
> she had to have been getting
> something to eat from somewhere b4
> we got her to our place or she
> wouldn't have made it to 10 days,
> we're new to this (cattle) but we
> have horses. she seams like she
> doesn't know what to do, &
> heaven knows I don't, any advise
> would help, I'm trying not to get
> discouraged too early.

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

I got her to suck the bottle the same day I posted the message, thanks to a combination of other messages I had read that day with other peoples questions. I want to thank whoever had the idea to straddle her nack between my legs and get the bottle in her mouth and then sqeeze her mouth a couple times. Let me tell ya- that's all it took, she wants that bottle now, she see's it coming and a-mooin' she goes. She's been eating for two days now, I have been told not to give her more than what the chart says to give her, even though she went without for no telling how long. She's getting 1&1/2 cup powdered Unimilk in 1 1/2 quart of water 2x a day. I didn't know if I should get her some kind of other supplement with this or not & if so what do you suggest? She seems to be okay, she is up walking around & even wanting to play a little bit, but she is still really drawn-up looking, how long til she puts on some weight? She is a Simbrah.

> Yesterday we went to pick up a 10
> day old calf as a favor to a
> friend who is out of the country
> & has someone caring for his
> herd. We were told she already
> knew how to suck, but when we got
> her home and this morning after
> trying for about an hour each
> time, she has had nothing to eat,
> she won't drink either, we figure
> she had to have been getting
> something to eat from somewhere b4
> we got her to our place or she
> wouldn't have made it to 10 days,
> we're new to this (cattle) but we
> have horses. she seams like she
> doesn't know what to do, &
> heaven knows I don't, any advise
> would help, I'm trying not to get
> discouraged too early.

> I normally give 2 scoops w/ 2 quarts of the milk 3 x a day. but yours might be a differant set of instructions. Ive even given 4 bottles a day and mine always act starved. Good Luck.
>
>
> her, She's
> getting 1&1/2 cup powdered Unimilk
> in 1 1/2 quart of water 2x a day.
> I didn't know if I should get her
> some kind of other supplement with
> this or not & if so what do
> you suggest? She seems to be okay,
> she is up walking around &
> even wanting to play a little bit,
> but she is still really drawn-up
> looking, how long til she puts on
> some weight? She is a Simbrah.

I normally feed 2 quarts of milk (straight from a cow) twice a day, but in the case of a calf who is weak or hasn't been eating, I will give them 2 quarts three times a day for a few days to help them catch up and may also give them an additional bottle of water/electrolytes if they appear to be dehydrated.

I also offer the calves 18% Medicated Calf Starter from 4 days of age on. If they think they are still hungry after having their bottle, they are encouraged to start to consume solid foods. You can encourage the calf to try it by putting a bit of it in his mouth.

You can wean when the calf is consuming at least 2 lbs of Calf Starter a day.

Good luck Ann

> I got her to suck the bottle the
> same day I posted the message,
> thanks to a combination of other
> messages I had read that day with
> other peoples questions. I want to
> thank whoever had the idea to
> straddle her nack between my legs
> and get the bottle in her mouth
> and then sqeeze her mouth a couple
> times. Let me tell ya- that's all
> it took, she wants that bottle