10 acres of weeds.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hollis

Reaction score
Anything I can do without tilling up.

Can I 2,4,D it this fall and no till clover in spring?

Northeast Missouri.

OK so in spring then? Could I no till in oats or wheat? Something I can bale?

im in NC and im pretty sure id drill fescue and it would come in good. my neighbor is planning to sow fescue in 2 weeks

For many years oats has been drilled along with alfalfa seed, as a nurse crop to control weed pressure.
I don't see why it wouldn't work using oats and the grass seed/seeds of your choice instead of alfalfa.

Instead of drilling we till a smooth seed bed and broadcast oats, alfalfa, tall fescue and orchard grass all mixed
into dry fertilizer as the carrier. After broadcasting the mix we drag the field for good soil to seed contact.
We cut the field when the oats is in boot stage and either chop it for oatlage or bale it as baleage.
In Minnesota we like to seed the 1st week of April, I assume NE Missouri might be a couple weeks earlier.

A heavy stand of oats can be difficult to dry for baling, but a light seeding of 1 bushel per acre would be enough to
crowd out early weeds and dry down better for baling. Or you could use an early maturing oats to combine for grain
and bale the straw for bedding. In either case a variety shorter in height would be preferred over tall varieties.

I will get pictures. I mowed and baled part of it and clover is coming back good. That's reason for not tilling it up. I guess I can. I was looking for alternative options I guess.

If you are just trying to preserve the stand of clover, 2-4D will not be any benefit....unless you wipe it on instead of spraying.

This is just what I've done and has worked fairly well for me.
Mow now and spray early spring when the goldenrod starts showing up. Personally, I don't worry about the clover. 2,4D never seems to kill it, and even if it did I just assume that's the price to get rid of the weeds. You could always use 2,4DB if you were worried about it. But clover always finds it's way back in decent soil.

Personally I would disc it all up get a soil analysis and probably plant oats or wheat on it this fall and after you cut it in the spring for hay then I would spray the whole thing and kill everything then disc it again... Then plant what i wanted in the spring grass wise and continue to spray. I like starting with a new slate.

M.Magis":5c0vr5as said:
This is just what I've done and has worked fairly well for me.
Mow now and spray early spring when the goldenrod starts showing up. Personally, I don't worry about the clover. 2,4D never seems to kill it, and even if it did I just assume that's the price to get rid of the weeds. You could always use 2,4DB if you were worried about it. But clover always finds it's way back in decent soil.

I have had solid success with same tactic. Mow in fall, spray in spring. What little bit of clover gets hurt, you can easily reintroduce via frost seeding or even broadcasting in.

If you are going to work it, what Son of Butch said is a pretty effective way to get things going if you don't have access to a drill.. wished I had drilled oats with the spring pastures I planted this year.. got going later than planned and had to spray to knock weeds back.. really hurt the alfalfa in one of the stands..grass came on strong though