1 droopy ear and slight head tilt

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I raise holstein calves. About 20 to 30 on bottles at one time and keep them up to about 350 to 500 pounds. About 1 out of every 15 to 20 at about 2 to 3 months 0ld will get 1 ear sagging and tilt their head. I vaccinate with IBR nasalgen at 1 week, 2 doses of bovi-sheild about 1 month apart and P.H.M. Bac 1. It does not respond to any antibiotic and they will get over it in about amonths time. The vet thought it could be the mycoplasma bacteria causing it and didnt think there was any treatment yet. Any body ever have similar symptoms? Any ideas?

[email protected]

Only thing that comes to mind is ear mites

dunmovin farms

> I raise holstein calves. About 20
> to 30 on bottles at one time and
> keep them up to about 350 to 500
> pounds. About 1 out of every 15 to
> 20 at about 2 to 3 months 0ld will
> get 1 ear sagging and tilt their
> head. I vaccinate with IBR
> nasalgen at 1 week, 2 doses of
> bovi-sheild about 1 month apart
> and P.H.M. Bac 1. It does not
> respond to any antibiotic and they
> will get over it in about amonths
> time. The vet thought it could be
> the mycoplasma bacteria causing it
> and didnt think there was any
> treatment yet. Any body ever have
> similar symptoms? Any ideas?

> I raise holstein calves. About 20
> to 30 on bottles at one time and
> keep them up to about 350 to 500
> pounds. About 1 out of every 15 to
> 20 at about 2 to 3 months 0ld will
> get 1 ear sagging and tilt their
> head. I vaccinate with IBR
> nasalgen at 1 week, 2 doses of
> bovi-sheild about 1 month apart
> and P.H.M. Bac 1. It does not
> respond to any antibiotic and they
> will get over it in about amonths
> time. The vet thought it could be
> the mycoplasma bacteria causing it
> and didnt think there was any
> treatment yet. Any body ever have
> similar symptoms? Any ideas?

I was at a couple of seminars this fall and this was discussed . It sounds like mycoplasma and at the one seminar the vet there said that by the time you see the head tilt and a ear hanging low it is to late . It is a tough bug to kill and being deep in the ear canal does not help . The other vet rasies calves for a coop of 6 farms and they give LA-200 5cc/100# SQ for Mycoplasma as soon as the calves arrive from the farms { 2 to 3 days old } . They have not had a problem since ?

[email protected]

Thanks for the responses to my question about the head tilt. I ruled out the ear mites but I did go check for that one more time. When they first start with the droopy ear I rinse their ear out with peroxide and squirt antibiotic right in the ear. I'm going to try the LA200 when I get them. They all come from the stockyards so I never know what I'll run into. Right now I,m using Tylin mostly because it doesn,t sting them as bad as the LA200. Thanks again!Cheyenne

[email protected]

Latest posts