$1.86 cow

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't think that it is all true either, there might be some truths in it but the rest probably is false.

Angus: I agree totally with you on this one. How many times do you see somebody bring the same type of cattle, year after year, and they just don't sell well....because they are not the kind the market wants?
You might have the prettiest cows in the world...but the buyers don't want them...how hard is it to figure "Maybe I need to make some changes"!
A case in point: At one time about 25 years ago Hereford cattle were the way to go. Then something funny happened...the buyers wanted something else and started discounting Herefords in a big way!
Today the buyers want a black calf(with some definite Angus influence). I wonder why?
Well how about this...the feedlots can make more money on him? The packers will pay more for him? The steak house can sell that steak at a premium? In other words, your customers are trying to tell you "We want a black Angus influenced calf!"
Now anyone can buck the trend. That is your right. But no one should whine too loudly when the buyer won't pay the top price for your type of animal? He's been trying to show you what he wants for quite awhile?

Today the buyers want a black calf(with some definite Angus influence). I wonder why?
Well how about this...the feedlots can make more money on him? The packers will pay more for him? The steak house can sell that steak at a premium? In other words, your customers are trying to tell you "We want a black Angus influenced calf!"
Now anyone can buck the trend. That is your right. But no one should whine too loudly when the buyer won't pay the top price for your type of animal? He's been trying to show you what he wants for quite awhile?

I don't beleive this to be totally correct. I've went to many auctions in the past few years in my area. The buyers perfer tan calves to black. the tan calves usually get $0.10 more than black. But it also has to do where you are from, one area might want black more than tan and it can be totally different in another area. Like you say, the buyer will let you know what they want, plus it also helps if you talk to a representive from the auction mart to find out the best way to go.

jka: As you said "different markets". I will admit good tan calves will sell well. At the market I frequent(Innisfail Alberta) the blacks always bring the top price with the tan calves usually not far behind. At this same market 5 years ago the tan calves always topped the market. There are fewer tan calves every year as the sellers are getting the message though.
Personally I really liked raising Char cross calves. I'm not sure there is anything that can out perform a crossbred Char calf. But times change and if the buyers want a black Angus influenced calf then that is what I will give them.