1/2 tons and goosenecks

Help Support CattleToday:

bcox

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post.

I was wanting to know how many of you pull gooseneck trailers with half ton pickups. I would like to know what your setups are: Engine size, bed length, 4X4, etc. Also, how much weight you pull, what you pull, and type of terrain.

I currently pull yearling heifers in the spring (10 or 15 but not at the same time) and again in the fall (10 or 15 at the same time). It amounts to about six or seven times a year. I feel I have too much truck for what I do. 01 Ford F250 7.3 diesel Xcab. I would like to go to a 1/2 ton truck if possible. (To save a little bit of money).

I am just wanting some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,

BCOX

bcox - If the truck you now have is doing the job, why change? Your truck will most likely get about the same gas mileage as a gas half-ton or thereabouts, maintenance is a little more expensive on the diesels but hopefully further between intervals, and you know the truck you currently have. And most importantly, I see you are from West Virginia, and I have yet to find a flat road in your state and would feel much more comfortable stopping any trailer with a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton. But as with anything else, you must do what suits your particular situation the best, good luck.

cfpinz

Thanks for the reply cfpinz.

Well, the main reason for not sticking with what I have is money. I am thinking about trading trucks since everyone (manufacturers and dealers) are offering a lot of incentives. For no more than I haul, it doesnt make since to stick with a diesel.

Dont get me wrong, I like the truck, it has great power. But for the money I would be saving, I could live with being the blinker light-slow guy in the right lane on the insterstate 6 or 7 times a year. lol

I can buy a 1/2 ton gas for about 5,000 less than a 3/4 ton diesel. The fuel mileage savings on a diesel is gone: 2.53 gas/2.69 diesel. Trade in value would be a wash in my opinion. (You pay more for the truck, you should get more out of it).

But you are right. I do live in WV and there is nothing flat here. I have to haul up a dirt road hill to get to my farm. Low Range and Low Range 4X4 may not be enough in a gas 1/2 ton truck hauling a 16 ft gooseneck with (8) 500 lb yearling heifers.

Thats what I am trying to find out, if there are others in a situation like mine.

Thanks again,

bcox

Alot of people pull goosenecks with a 1/2 ton around here, but you can tell by looking at them they have the Sh%^ loaded out of them. I would hate to have to stop it in a hurry. I traded off my 1 ton dodge dually V-10 because of the 10 miles per gallon fuel milage. Traded for the Chevy 3/4 ton 6L and guess what--- I still get 10 MPG and have a whole lot less truck!! I wish I had my Dodge back!! If you ask me you are making the same mistake trading down to a 1/2 ton. Just my opinion....

Oh yea I forgot if the 3/4 ton is paid for you cannot trade for a better truck!!! A paid for truck is the best truck on the road no matter what it looks like!!!! :cboy:

I have a 2000 1/2 ton Ford and it sucks I hauled 1 800 lb bull 400 miles and averaged 10 mpg and you can't run in 5th 65 mph was pretty tough. If I could afford I would have a ton truck .New trucks aren't like the old ones. I wish you were in Il Iwould trade you!!

You need to consider the weight of the trailer plus the calves you put in it. Figuring 300 per calf times 10 calves is another 3K added to the trailer at a minimum. 1/2 tons are not made for pulling goosenecks. You will be totally disappointed with it I assure you. With hills, you will be cursing yourself first pull. Pulling with it you MIGHT get 5-7MPG with the 1/2 ton. Again depending on the trailer and total weight.

If you are only able to buy a 1/2 ton for $5k less than a 3/4 ton diesel, you need to look elsewhere also. The diesel itself is a $6K option.

I get a kick out of all these advertisements saying this truck or that truck will pull X amount of pounds. Heck yeah they will but will they stop, get more than 6MPG, be comfortable, and safe? Just last weekend I saw a guy pulling a tag along camper with a 1/2 ton getting blown all over the highway every time a semi passed him. I have been there done that and won't do it again.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate all the opinions.

Everyone is bringing up points that I have not thought about.

I am trying to operate under the philosphy of; use the smallest tool that can get the job done.

But I am starting to think that what I already have is the smallest tool to get the job done safely for my location and what I will be hauling.

As for the 5,000 saving from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton, I am not comparing apples to apples. I priced an upper end 1/2 ton with a middle-of-the-road 3/4 ton diesel. I could save more money, and probably would if I went that route. I was just throwing numbers out there.

Thanks again.

bcox

Your theory of using the smallest adequate tool to do the job is OK. We use a slightly modified version of that: adequate size for the job plus 10-20% for when you start really pushing the equipment. ;-)

For example: If your implements and/or hay equipment is all rated for a 65 hp tractor, get a 75 hp tractor.

bcox,

Along the same lines to prove the point-

About 5 years ago when my oldest son turned 16, I wanted to get him a used Toyota 4x4 truck to run around in. In my way of thinking about things (at the time) I thought a 4 cylinder engine would be best. I thought it would get better fuel mileage than the 6 cylinder. I was wrong, the 4 cylinder had to work a lot harder than the 6 cylinder to move the truck, thus using about the same amount of fuel, without having any extra power.

There would be nothing more fustrating than paying for the new 1/2 ton truck and not being able to pull the gooseneck trailer up the dirt road to get to your farm if it was wet??

Been there done that years ago. Believe me when I say was the biggest mistake I ever made concerning a truck. Haul only a few loads a year but since 1973 have not been without a 1 ton Fuel mileage is close to the same in any of them if they are built to haul a load. As flaboy said try stopping a 1/2 ton with a load going down hill on a gravel road. JMHO

I pulled a 20' goose with a 95 4x4 1/2 ton chevy. It did have a five speed. I added some Monroe Muscles to it. They are rubber stops similar to the Timbren brand that go between the frame and the axle and keep it from squating all the way down.

If your only hauling short distance once every couple of months, you can make it work. Get a 4x4 so you can use low range for backing up though.

You say the 1/2 tons are 5000 cheaper. You could also get a 3/4 ton gasses (which is also 5000 cheaper) and not have any problems. I think that would be best.

As far as the post griping cause the truck won't pull in 5th gear, why do you want to anyway. Overdrives were added in the late 80s to trucks when all the city boys started driving them and all they do is increase milage. Anything that increases fuel economy decrease towing performance.

Lock the tranny out of OD and a gasser will pull.

i've always used f150s. i could never put out the extra $10000 for a 250. a f150 with a 351 or 5.4L will handle up to say 10000lbs. theres servaul factors here to think about example : axles etc etc.
BUT....... a f250 is better suited to handle the loads. i have a 24' flatbed trailer that i have hauled 14 ton of feed on. i do not suggest anyone to do it. but i do it and i dont feel like i dont have enough power but the braking is'nt what i would like it to be. if i did'nt give myself enough road to stop i can easly see the trailer pushing me thru what ever i'm stopping for.
i would love to have a f250 i dont know if i'll ever own one.
its just a little different hauling with a 1\2 ton than it is with a 3\4. your really dont have no room for error. any time i haul over 5000lbs i keep my speed 55 or under. i stay about 7 truck lenghts behind any vechile in front of me.
you just got to make what ever work for you. around here you can pick up a 06 250 with a 6.0 for $32000 or with a 5.4 for $28000