1/2 steer 1/2 bull ??? maybe

Help Support CattleToday:

chiefgriz

Reaction score
Question: Brother-in-law called me and said he suspects one of the steers he's feeding out still has a testicle. I banded it when it was a few days old and thought for sure I got both of them. He said the "steer" has a lump in that vacinity and some guys at work told him the thing withdrew and basically stayed concealed inside. I suppose since the scrotem rotted off, it wouldnt have anywhere to hand down. Basically, what will this do the taste of the meat if he does still have a testicle. Should we cut it or leave it alone. The animal is being fed out with another steer and an 8 month old heifer. No cows around except for those. I sure would hate to spend the money on butchering if it might affect the taste. I would appreciate any first hand experience on this matter.

It will be just fine. If he mounts the heifer and runs his que out he probalby still has one nut, if he doesn;t you got both of them. I frequently see fatty deposits at the base of the scrotum (if the scrotum was still there) on banded steers, even more so on cut steers.

dun

If he has one testicle, he COULD get the heifer pregnant - although that is a VERY small possibility. With the testicle tucked up into the body, the sperm that he did produce should be too hot to be viable.
As far a taste, he should be same as a steer, unless he is going to be over 15 months and has been ejaculating. This is true for all intact bulls (so I've been told).

How old? Weighs how much? If he's still young and around, say, 700 pounds, it shouldn't make a difference even if he weren't castrated. We have a friend who doesn't castrate his freezer beef and sends them to the locker plant about that weight. You can't tell the difference.

No difference at all.
Of course, you could have a little fun with him (especially if he's the type of brother in law you don't really care for) Tell him that what ever side the testicle is on - that side of beef will be tougher but you'll go ahead and take it off his hands. When he tells the folks at the slaughter house - they'll get a real kick out of him !!!
Cruel - yes.
Unusual - yes.
Funny - yes !!!!!

Bullbuyer":34fzbdr8 said:
No difference at all.
Of course, you could have a little fun with him (especially if he's the type of brother in law you don't really care for) Tell him that what ever side the testicle is on - that side of beef will be tougher but you'll go ahead and take it off his hands. When he tells the folks at the slaughter house - they'll get a real kick out of him !!!
Cruel - yes.
Unusual - yes.
Funny - yes !!!!!

I like it! Did something like that to my little brother years ago. Put one of those whistle things in his tailpipe and told him it sounded like his "harmonic balance lifters" were going bad. He actually took his car to a mechanic and told him that.

Bullbuyer and VanC :

Don't ya'll go making my life difficult !!!

This aint funny !!!!!

Well, I guess as far as Brother-in-laws go, I can tolerate him. I let him do his own thing for a while, but every-so-often I have to set him straight. After 25+ years, I guess my sister isnt going to trade him in, so I try my best to make it work. The things a brother will do for a sister......

Latest posts