1/2 or 3/4 ton?

Help Support CattleToday:

KenB":2kcxqqyo said:
cowsrus":2kcxqqyo said:
Why wouldn,t overload springs or air shocks work to make the half ton more stable pulling a trailer? I agree the power should be there. I don,t think you can beat a dually pulling a trailer, but like I said before 99 percent of the time your not pulling a trailer.

Lack of power is not the problem.
The brakes, springs, axles, frame, etc. are not as strong on a 1/2 ton, nor is it as heavy as a 3/4 ton.

I've gotta go with Ken and just about everyone else on this one. More power is not the issue between 1/2, 3/4, & 1 ton trucks. The extra 1,000.00 is buying you a MUCH stronger frame, sway bar system, and breaking system. Like everyone else, I've done it when I absolutely had to, but after pulling with a bigger truck, I will NEVER go back. We're using a F350 crewcab now and I hardly even notice it when all my cows decide to swap places on the way to the sale barn. JMO.

Been looking around and I think trucks are to dang high. A lot of the used truck in my price range have over a 100,000 on them. Ones with 30,000 or so are almost the cost of a new one.

May have to tough it out with the 10 year old truck for a while.
Its has been a good truck but starting to need some work and it came from up north so it is getting some rust, more on the frmae and brackets than the body.

I spent alot of years yanking heavier loads with a 1/2 ton. Of course, I was doing it with a Dodge so it would have been about the same as a Ford or Chevy 3/4 ton. :p ;-) :lol:

Seriously though, 5000 lbs is pretty trivial. I've got a worn out old 90 Chevy 1/2 ton that I use for a work truck, and all it needed was some overloads and everything was just as stable as it ever was with a 2500.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3k748098 said:
I spent alot of years yanking heavier loads with a 1/2 ton. Of course, I was doing it with a Dodge so it would have been about the same as a Ford or Chevy 3/4 ton. :p ;-) :lol:

Seriously though, 5000 lbs is pretty trivial. I've got a worn out old 90 Chevy 1/2 ton that I use for a work truck, and all it needed was some overloads and everything was just as stable as it ever was with a 2500.

Rod
Most of the time the load would be 7000# or so, our trailer is 3000# empty. Trying to get so that we are selling 6 or 8 calves at once.

Many of the newer (95,96+) half ton trucks are rated for 7000lbs and up. This means that the brakes and suspension components have all been tested and found to be perfectly safe at those loads.

What I don't like about newer vehicles is that they are designed, at higher payloads, to max out the springs and rest on the rubber stops. I think this leads to a bit of instability, so I'd still think about a set of overloads or airbags.

Rod

flaboy":2n1bo0y8 said:
farmerjohn":2n1bo0y8 said:
I have a Ford diesel 3/4 ton and won't buy another. It rides rough, mpg isn't that much better than a gasser, and as was mentioned diesel has been higher than gas for most of the last 3 years.
A 1/2 ton Ford with the towing package will be my next truck.

What year is it farmerjohn. I had a 96 7.3 4x4 that rode like a tank. The 2000 7.3 rides much better and the 04 rides like a car to me.

05. Rides like a tank. If you hit a bump in the road it trys to jerk the steering wheel out of your hand. Ford has tightened up the steering gearbox and I have put on a heavy duty stabilizer but still not good. I have also tried lowering the tire pressure from the recommended 75 to 55ps. Still rides very rough.

I remember back in the old days (30 or so years ago) most people hauled their cattle in the back of their pickups (with stock racks on ) and I used a half ton with air shocks. You didn,t see many trailers at the sale barn, now you rarely see a pickup with stock racks.Anyways I remember borrowing a friends three quarter ton truck and noticed the improvement in the way it hauled. Bottom line though is the bigger the better when your pulling a trailer. It,s kind of like four wheel drive, you don,t need it very often, but it,s there when you need it. I had thought about getting a half ton, but i,ve about talked myself out of it now.

My dad had a 3/4 ton 1952 International truck with stock racks made by Hale Trailer. He took an old dairy cow down to the slaughter house in Ft Worth. In the middle of traffic that cow jumped straight up and over the side of the racks.
After that dad put some steel rings in the bed of the truck and started tieing them down.
BTW the cow wasn't hurt.
This happened in the late 50's.

Bullbuyer":2h2r0mfj said:
MikeC":2h2r0mfj said:
1/2 or 3/4 ton?

Split the difference and get a 5/8 ton. :shock:

Add 'em together and get a 1 and a quarter ton! :lol:
I think Toyoter makes one, see if cfpinz still got his!

Never had a Yoter, but with the price of fuel these days I wouldn't mind owning a little 4 cyl clunker to cruise around in. Only live 9 miles from my day job and with the added upkeep/insurance, etc. it doesn't make sense to have another truck for driving to work. Wife's trying to talk me into getting an old 5.0 Mustang for a daily driver for us to share. I'm thinking convertible.

cfpinz

flaboy":151dxr4n said:
What year is it farmerjohn. I had a 96 7.3 4x4 that rode like a tank. The 2000 7.3 rides much better and the 04 rides like a car to me.

Got a 96 cab/chassis truck that will give anyone a run for the money. Previous owner put a plow on the front so he had an extra leaf added, swear it's 1/2" thick! Last time I was in WV in it I lost a kidney somewhere around Parkersburg!

cfpinz

A 300 six, 5.0L, or 5.4L will handle anything under 5 ton. Once your over 10,000lbs skill comes a major factor in your towing. I know cause I did for so long. Last year I traded my 04 fx4 F150 for a F250 Fx4 and havent looked back. I noticed some remarks that the diesel doesnt make much more milage. The fact is as little as it is it still is more mpg. Now empty you think no big deal these 3 mpg more aint worth it ohhhhh but put on a load and you make 6 or so more mpg than a gasser loaded about 1/3 of what your grossing, then the smile comes on your face.
If your going to haul lets say 12 times a year and the heaviest your gross is going to be around 14,000, { thats puts your net some where around 5000lbs} then a 1/2 will suit you better. Someone made the claim for $1,000 your getting a heavyer duty truck buy going up to a 3/4 ton. around here you cant get a 3/4 ton for $1,000. A 3/4 ton truck around here is $5,000 over a simalar equipt 1/2 ton. now after the $5,000 you have to put back the money for the oil changes. BTW that would be 15 quarts, on top of a $15- $20 oil filter. When it comes to fuel filter change time thats in the neiborhood of $50. I think the fuelfilter changes every 15,000 miles. I just change mine every 3rd oilchange. Speaking of higher fuel prices with diesel your going to want to use some type of additive. If your up north your going to use an antigel, If down here in the south just something like DK, or lucus will be fine. I myself use mercon ATF in my fuel. Diesel is a pore lubercant. So when you start adding up all these numbers up it doesnt sound as sweet as one might think when just hauling 12 times a year.
So my answer to this threads question and the situation you decribed I would have to say buy a 1/2. If you can put trailer brakes on your trailer or up grade trailers. You probally can find a used lighter stock trailer w/ brakes and 1/2 ton truck and run them for 10years and have saved money instead of buying a 3/4 ton truck.
That being said I wont ever get rid of my 3/4 ton. I love it even though it is a money pit.

I have a buddy that works cows and he has an 02 Chevy Ext. cab, 1/2 ton, Z-71. He put the overload springs on it and he pulls a 20' Fairwest around all the time no problem.

I have a 98 Chevy 1/2 ton Z-71 for every day driving. The only difference between it and a 3/4 ton is a badge. Call it their Heavy Half Ton. When I go get parts I have to make sure and tell them or I end up with the wrong brakes and stuff. :x

Latest posts