1/16 sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I took a bath on some fine calves and a pair and a cow yesterday.
Now get ready mine brought top dollar.
6 wt heifers 1.03 average steers 1.47 pair 1100 cow 850.
Seen calves going .80 pairs 450 to 700. Kill cows best price of the day.54 most were in the low .40's.

Might be time to plant long leaf pine.

Seen calves going .80 pairs 450 to 700. Kill cows best price of the day.54 most were in the low .40's.

We all do more for less it seems.

did worse than you, but I just figure it could be just as easily be REALLY bad (and may sink there yet). sent 25 mixed cows - some were ok some were real culls, light weigh avereage - 900lbs went for 48.12, 10 570 lbs heifers did 90.39, 14 steers ave 742 lbs did 98.42. steers were a little off due to 2 huge captures we hadn't caught in a couple years. take those two off the weight goes down a little and the price goes up, but I'm too lazy to do the math now.

Heard these theories on why feeder prices are down:

- Folks are upset about the political situation.
- Rising UK type corona is delaying food service re openings.
- Fat prices are not following corn prices up.

Last edited:
Feed grain prices high, US election, uncertainty of world markets due to a virus, all add up to depress commodity markets.

I sold 4 steers 1-14-21
1 weighed 635 $1.30 black white face
1 weighed 630 $1.27 Blue roan
1weighed 555 $1.49 red white face
1weighed 555 $1.48 black white face
1 jersey/Holstien heifer bred 3 months weighed 750 got $700

whoooooooo boy. that is a hard pill to swallow.

I often wonder why the big differences in prices regionally.
Wednesday at Vale. Look at the market report for Producers Livestock Vale Oregon.
Steers
400-500 $1.40-$1.85 top at $1.95
600-700 $1.20-$1.47 top $1.49
700-800 $1,15- $1.34 top $1.38
Bulk of butcher cows $.50-$.59 top $0.6350
Shelly cows $.43-$48
The feedlots sell to the same packers. Different plants but the same companies. The kill cow plants compete for the same hamburger market. It is all business. And business that keeps real good records and has a real sharp pencil.
The wife's daughter and her husband sold out in northern Nevada and bought a ranch in eastern Arizona. The daughter was commenting to me the other day about how prices are a lot lower in Arizona than what they were use to in Oregon and Nevada. Why is that? I wanted to say didn't you research that before buying the ranch. But I kept my mouth shut. I know I sure looked at that before moving here

Major markets on the West Coast brought the same. No end to the hemorrhaging in sight. 😫
Which markets would that be. Vale and La Grande have been nothing like what they listed. I looked up the market reports from Hermiston and Madras and they are pretty close to what I have been seeing. Those 4 sales pretty well cover Eastern Oregon. Those prices I listed earlier from Vale were on a day when they ran over 3,900 head.

Shipping is part of it.
Critical mass is part of it.
Drought is part of it.
Percieved quality is part of it.
Living for years in western Washington I have experienced all of those points. Well maybe not so much the drought. But that is a relatively small part of the world. And it was fixed by putting them on a truck and hauling them 200 miles to a good market. This is on a much larger geographic scale.
Might be time to buy calves ?
Not here. But it does sound like putting together a load and shipping them to a better market could be a money maker right now.

A cattlemen here used to buy calves in Minnesota and ship them to Nebraska for backgrounding.
When he sold the heavy feeders - - they were Nebraska quality, and thus worth more than if he had backgrounded them here.

I can get 7 to 10 cents more per pound if I haul calves 250 miles.
Here I can load in the morning and they are sold in about 3 hours.
Seems like shipping and shrink will eat the higher price up 250 miles away. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Latest posts