05 Chevy 2500hd Duramax

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_jenna

Reaction score
Got a truck question for you. I love my duramax to death, but as it seems diesel is never going down in price again, has anybody any advice on chipping/programing it to increase fuel mileage? How much does this affect towing? We are prob towing maybe 40% of the time. My husband thinks this will castrate the thing :lol2: , but with a programmer you can adjust the settings correct?. Any ideas would be great,
Jenna

Innovative diesel in Maryland. Google them.
My truck has been programmed for the last 210k miles and yes it's changeable

I put one on an 02 i had it incresed fuel mileage abot 2mpg, the power went way up it would set your head back in the seat if you wanted it to. Even then the chip was about 300 so im not sure at what point it would pay for itself. i put it on the middle setting and left it alone never took it out.

I have an Edge chip in my 02 7.3 F-350. I can change the settings from stock, mileage, towing, or performance, on the fly.

A air intake and exhaust system will do way more for your fuel mileage than a chip. If you put a chip in make sure your speedometer is correct. All the chips and tunes that we have used tells you that the truck is getting better mileage than it really is. Check the gallons divided into the miles driven and you will find your real mileage.

Go to Duramax Forum. It has more information than you can imagine. This comes from people that live and breathe Duramax. Manners is great, everyone on there will tell you the truth.
Sheepdr

I realize this thread has been around awhile, so you likely have already committed to something; but....

Check out EFI Live tuning by Idahorob (Rob Coddins). If you look him up on YouTube you can see him run 1/4 mile in his 9 second Duramax.

My husband has an 02 Cummins. He bought the juice with attitude, air dog 150 and even bigger exhaust. The juice has plenty of settings...for example a mpg coach that teaches you how to improve mileage. Well worth the cost....will pay back within the next century!!

You do not want to put an Edge J/A on a Duramax. Nothing but problems.

I'll second duramaxforum.com I've been a member there for years.

Saltbranch, if you are kicking the tires on a new Duramax you won't be able to program it with much yet. There are one or two box units, but the custom tuning is being worked on by Kory and I'd think it'd be available within a year or so. Some issues you will have... automatic voiding of factory warranty, DPF, DEF. The ECM's in the new truck will record any modification permanently, and will alert the tech at the dealership when he plugs in.

I find that it has a lot more power stock than the older Dmax's. Nearly 800 ft lb of torque, and 400hp from the factory. I almost (emphasis on almost) don't miss my tuned Dmax. The DEF is a slight PITA, but the EPA requires it on all diesels now. I've got 11,000 miles on my 2013 now, and she's running like a top. 20-23mpg (hand calculated) on the highway, 17mpg towing my 3500lb boat. Also 18 mpg combined city/hwy.

I have an 07 and have a bully dog tuner. But if I had it to do over again, I'd get my ECM tuned by Kennedy. No doubt about that.