0-0-60 fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":10jyja18 said:
spoon, being in KY and on I-75 you should not have sandy soils. Many of the soils there have been farmed with tobacco for many years and could need what is recommended.
It may not be possible but if you can send me your latitude and longitude I think I can tell you from an online soil map what you have.

:?: Can you post a link to that online soil map?? :?:

Yup, Laurel County it is and I did put the potash on. Kenny I have no clue. I know I'm below the Mason Dixon line though. :D

For whatever reason I have deleted the link on my home computer. I still have it on my computer at work so I will post it next week. I use it in helping decide what types of trees to plant on each soil type. Also works well when looking at a new farm to lease. You know at least a little about how well it will produce before leasing it.

It might not be a practical solution for you, but chicken litter is the cheapest form of K here with the added advantage of high P levels as well. I've only done one small pasture and the results was amazing and the winter pasture that was sowed in is by far the best stand and growth of all the pastures 9 months after the chicken litter was applied. My soils are all sandy and very acidic and the acidifying effect is less with chicken litter than with anorganic fertilisers.

Yes Kenny, London is in Laurel Co. I live a couple of miles out of town.

Knersie I'm very familar with chicken litter. That's all we used for fertilizer back when I was a boy. My grandparents both had big commercial houses as did most of the people in their part of the county. We'd clean their house and refill them with clean shavings in trade for the litter for the farm. Dad bought an old clapped out lime spreader that we used to spread it with. Brings back memories of catching chickens too but that is another story for a different thread. :D

spoon":sxnd3vzc said:
Brings back memories of catching chickens too but that is another story for a different thread. :D

Turkeys for us, and I'd rather not remember. :p :lol:

Latest posts