“It’s just a job” generation

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out the secret to motivate the young working generation (20-35)? I have never dealt with such a lack of work ethic, "me-ism", and no-initiative having people as I'm dealing with currently. In a service based industry (healthcare), you shouldn't be doing this for the money-the heartache and workload doesn't quite equate. It's everywhere though. Really sad
Had to go toBestBuy for something the other day and was floored by the self-promotion gadgets. Maybe that's a big part of what's wrong. Focus on self, screw everyone and everything else….

We never thought we'd have the issues getting employees that we have now. Young people are pretty well self centered now and oblivious to what goes on around them. This even shows up in how they drive. One thing I noticed several years ago is how they think they should be able to run 2 cows or sell snow cones 3 sunny Saturdays a month and make a living. We have been hiring older retired employees and it's been so much better. They do have more trouble with the technology or learning the newer updates but at least that's something we can relate too. We know several people in the same boat, most small businesses are having to shut down at least a few days a week because young people just don't feel they should have to put their self out to make a living.

We never thought we'd have the issues getting employees that we have now. Young people are pretty well self centered now and oblivious to what goes on around them. This even shows up in how they drive. One thing I noticed several years ago is how they think they should be able to run 2 cows or sell snow cones 3 sunny Saturdays a month and make a living. We have been hiring older retired employees and it's been so much better. They do have more trouble with the technology or learning the newer updates but at least that's something we can relate too. We know several people in the same boat, most small businesses are having to shut down at least a few days a week because young people just don't feel they should have to put their self out to make a living.
My husband is a parts manager for a big-truck shop. The 60-70 year old delivery drivers work circles around the young guys. Moving heavy stuff, too.

Just had a 21-year-old kid quit this morning. He was in his second year of apprenticeship and I believe is making $17 an hour
25-year-old company minimum pay $15.50 an hour minimum for entry level including full benefits, one month off paid each year, paid holidays, two weeks vacation, Blue Cross Blue shield, 10% of your salary as a bonus plus Christmas and Thanksgiving gifts paid for all education all safety training all certifications.
Said he wanted to take a job selling real estate because it was easier than commercial air conditioning.

Part of it may be a generational change, but people are still people. They haven't changed that much. And the older generations have always thought the young to be lazy.

But what has happened, is that people of all stripes are a hieving a better work life balance. The days of working yourself to the bone, to just get by while making someone else millions are ending.

Generalizing a whole group of people probably won't help you deal with them any.
We make our judgment by the company we keep.

I have worked with many, too many to count, amazing people that are of the generation after mine.

If these retired folks would stop taking all the good jobs......

But seriously, they have to work to support their grown azz children who won't!
Is that the adults' fault or the child's?

It's alway funny to see people complaining about the next generation... that they raised.🤣🤣🤣

Some thing else I think the workforce is experiencing is society has put such a focus on education that they forgot how important experience is. The reality is a lot of the younger people coming out of college or just entering the work force have not experienced any thing. That plays a big role in maturity and alot of other things.

A 25 year old may be the maturity equivalent of a 16 year old 20 years ago.

I appreciate your positive outlook but teaching them is pretty hard too.
Yes it is. The problem around here is that everyone is on an even playing field. Country kids don't grow up with any more livestock experience than city kids do. If they do, they are working for dad or grandpa and not in the job market.
And a lot of times I would rather teach someone with no experience as opposed to trying to break bad or unsafe habits.

Latest posts