Line one Herefords...Pros and Cons???

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting a Hereford on my black cows. I'm planning on pulling the black white faced heifers as replacements. How does the line one work in this cross?? Thanks!

That is exactly that I am doing, I find the breeds complement each other, there for a win win. Go to Everthing Else Board and look for FIRST CALF OF 07 to see one of my calves.

A Line One Hereford bull will sire calves that come easy, grow very well, and hang a high quality carcass with adequate muscle. The heifers, oh boy I don't know where to start or where to stop. Increased productive life, very fertile, easy keeping. I honestly can't recommend any other breed to put on commercial black cows (especially if they are commercial angus cows, not just black hided).

F-1 blackbaldies "hereford/Black Angus" are a great cross.... Should be great mother cows these F-1....

I think you have many more options than just the Line 1 herefords. I am no expert on the line 1's, but if I remember correctly they are of the larger framed hereford families.

Make sure the bull you are going to use will produce daughters of the farme size you prefer, whether it is a Line 1 or not, as long as its a hereford. I would go with a bull with a lot of muscle as the angus base cows should provide for the maternal quality in the cross.

KNERSIE":xyd3luqc said:
I think you have many more options than just the Line 1 herefords. I am no expert on the line 1's, but if I remember correctly they are of the larger framed hereford families.

Make sure the bull you are going to use will produce daughters of the farme size you prefer, whether it is a Line 1 or not, as long as its a hereford. I would go with a bull with a lot of muscle as the angus base cows should provide for the maternal quality in the cross.
Please forgive my ignorance.
What is a Line one?

I am sure there are many USA hereford breeders much more qualified to answer this, but here goes...

Colorado State University started a linebreeding program of herefords about fifty years ago. They started with quite a few lines (I think 9 in total) and developed these lines through linebreeding or concentrating the blood of a certain sire (Victor Domino breeding if I remember correctly). Out of all these lines of herefords the line no 1 proved to be the most succesfull and was in the end the only one that was continued to being linebred and is still being continued by some breeders today, hence the name Line 1.

In the name of many prominent herefords you'll see L1 referring to the animal coming out of the Line 1's of CSU. At the same time MSU also undertook a similar project and the Prospectors was the most successfull line coming out of that project. Feltons 517 being a very prominent sire with Prospector ancestry.

Hope this helps

KNERSIE: I am pretty sure that CSU developed the Prospector line and MSU developed the Prince Domino Line. Both lines of cattle have gone on to a prominent influence in the breed and continue to this day. The MSU cattle are considerd the Line Ones of today.

W.B. it seems like I had the two mixed up.

this is from Gary Witherspoon's website:

In America, two universities are best known for the closed lines of Herefords they developed. These are Montana State University and Colorado State University. These schools selected particular original groups of herefords as their base genetic pool, and then developed them as closed lines, meaning they never bred any of them to animals outside the original group or linebred descendents of the original group. The most famous of these are the Line Ones developed at MSU and the Prospectors developed at CSU. Each of these breeding programs had 8 or 10 other closed lines but they did not develop the overall excellence and popularity that the Prospectors and the Line Ones did. That could be both due to the original animals selected and the success of the selection program within those lines.

Auburn_Ag":bcq3f95t said:
That is exactly that I am doing, I find the breeds complement each other, there for a win win. Go to Everthing Else Board and look for FIRST CALF OF 07 to see one of my calves.

I had a friend who used Angus cows with Hereford bulls, he just wouldn't have anything else and those black white faced calves were nice. However, his weaning weights were just not very good (heavy) but when he kept the calves over and fed them they would heavy up pretty good and he done real well. Do you find this to be true with your Hereford/Angus calves?

Oh yes, the friend I was talking about was an older gentleman and when he passed away his son changed to Simmental and really lost alot of money before figuring that dad's cattle was hard to beat :nod: .

MountainFarmChar":2crvrh5j said:
Oh yes, the friend I was talking about was an older gentleman and when he passed away his son changed to Simmental and really lost alot of money before figuring that dad's cattle was hard to beat :nod: .

I will agree that hereford/angus is hard to beat. Do you know the reason he claims to have lost money with the simmis?

cfpinz

Remember, it still boils down to individual bull selection, but the Line ones will do very good in a cross. Unless you specifically find a rare "polled" example, the majority of line ones are horned. Take that in to consideration in the make up of your cow herd. You could end up with horns and scurs which will take a little off at the sale, unless you dehorn yourself.

cfpinz":3bd6fqbq said:
MountainFarmChar":3bd6fqbq said:

I will agree that hereford/angus is hard to beat. Do you know the reason he claims to have lost money with the simmis?

cfpinz

His first calf season was a disaster, lost so many cows and calves it was unbelievable. Those were some of the biggest calves I've ever seen! Now he has basically what dad had.

I've been using this cross for a while now. I've been happy with the results. I've got a few more years left on my current bull. I've been talking with my hereford breeder about A.Iing some of his cows with some of these top bulls. Remember I'm looking for Maternal mama's in the end. I'll cross those black baldies with a terminal bull. Here is a few Hereford bulls I've found: Feltons Legend 242, Felton Hereford Ranch, Maryville Mo. \ HH Advance 216M, Line one background, Holden Herefords, Valier MT. Let me know what you think!! :D

I think dun has used feltons Legend in the past, send him a PM I'm sure he'll be alot more help than the rest of us.

You may want to check out Jamison's in Kansas. They raise some really good Line One Herefords. I have bought bulls from them in the past (still using one). They always sired uniform, predictable calves that had plenty of performance. I used them on commercial angus cows. The steer calves always had plenty of performance and the heifers turned into productive calves. I'd say over half of my herd carries Jamison blood in the three generation pedigree.

http://www.jamisonherefords.com

http://www.agmailusa.com/jamison4/catalog/

nortexsook, that was a very good link, thanks.

I know its a sale catalogue, but it really is top quality animals pictured.

Latest posts