newborn calf iron shots

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I had to give a iron shot yesterday to a calf that acted like it didn't have any energy and was unsteady on his legs. He acted like a new calf today. Does anyone else give iron shots?

You HAD to?
How, pray-tell, did you diagnose this iron deficiency?

Sorry, SHT, but iron deficiency is virtually unknown in cattle, particularly in our area of the country. The miraculous improvement you saw in this calf was not likely due to the 'iron shot' you gave it.

The old timer I bought 99% of my cattle from told me he has had calves act like that over the years he gave me some I shot calf he is full of energy and fine I can't really answer any particular questions just wondering if anyone else has did that.

skyhightree1":2mwr2xvi said:
Probably right he just said a iron shot.

Lots of people call different things, different names. Anybody ever heard of a "kill or cure" shot? I hadn't heard that one since I was a kid.

Here is the iron shot medicine
ResizedImage_1407718518280_zpsf7733779.jpg

Workinonit Farm":2oglexqw said:
I have heard of iron deficiencies in piglets, but not in calves.

Interesting. How did this siuation come about?

Katherine

I thought the dextron iron was mainly used for anemia in baby pigs also. I've never tried it on calves.

fitz

fitz":2edtmsoq said:
Workinonit Farm":2edtmsoq said:
I have heard of iron deficiencies in piglets, but not in calves.

Interesting. How did this siuation come about?

Katherine

I thought the dextron iron was mainly used for anemia in baby pigs also. I've never tried it on calves.

fitz

I noticed its a pig on the bottle but I tell ya after giving the calf a shot it was a TOTALLY different calf and was full of energy

TennesseeTuxedo":2plcg9b0 said:
skyhightree1":2plcg9b0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2plcg9b0 said:
Clean your fingernails.

Double T if I clean my nails then people will really think I don't do any work and call me a pretty boy.

They already know you don't work and you darn well aren't gonna be mistaken for a pretty ANYTHING, lol!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat: You are right !

Latest posts