How's my corral plan from complete greeny?

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US":3e0u4jhs said:
....but I still would lengthen the chute(race) by at least 8 feet + build in a palpation cage right behind the squeeze.
On my new draft I actually changed a bit of the design up. Waiting to hear back from 82vet in regards to the crowding tub but I swapped it back to the first draft and the chute alley should be around 20'. Also it's no longer a straight line. Added a little bend to it (read that long time ago just never could incorporate it into plan) and put the loading bay before the chute. Don't want to flood the forum with plans without getting all the feedback on the second draft first. Chute has a palp cage built in.

....And I'd probably lengthen all the holding pens by the same amount and make them that much larger if you're looking at putting 25 head in them.
You seem to agree with 82vet so it's looking like I need to increase the size of those. Can I make them wider than 16' or would it be better to keep them narrow. Working on limited area so trying to keep it as small as possible. Not trying to push the front gate down any further than I need to.

....You'd also benefit by having the working area gate close against the squeeze chute rather than be hinged on that side. If you don't, you'll be walking around that gate a lot!......
HAHA!!! You know for as much as I looked at these darn plans I've been making somehow I never once second guessed that. Thanks for pointing that out I have no idea what I was thinking there :oops: greenhorn remember :mrgreen: lol I'm actually taking that gate out on the next plan and just putting posts and boards across with access point to the front of the chute. Great call!

....I'm also curious what kind of program that you're using to draw these plans?
I'm a pretty big nerd :compute: and my previous occupation was in telecommunications so I needed to use Microsoft Visio a bit to make network diagrams. It's fairly user friendly but I've been using it for a while.

The set up you have is similar to ours.We have the loading gate right off the tub just before they start down the alleway.
From the tub you load or run down to the squeeze.Works good for me.

Cal

Calman":2bz54510 said:
The set up you have is similar to ours.We have the loading gate right off the tub just before they start down the alleway.

Cal
Thanks Calman! Which tub gate design are you using? The one from the first draft or the second?

7greenhorn":2zzwwf65 said:
Calman":2zzwwf65 said:

Cal
Thanks Calman! Which tub gate design are you using? The one from the first draft or the second?

Our tub is like your first design.
With the swing gate in the tub you can close off the alleyway and a 4ft gate is built into the tub to swing in right by the alley and also closes the alley.

Cal

7greenhorn":38w5va8c said:
1982vett":38w5va8c said:
Not sure of a need for a "market holding pen" for just one animal when you already have three other holding pens plus all the other alleys. I think it looks a bit "tight" from a cows perspective with that many pens....
Great point... I will probably remove the market pen and utilize one of the others and redo the loading bay to shoot off the chute alley. Do you think the pens aren't big enough? Should I have left them bigger? I'm hoping to only put approximately 20-25 head in each pen. How big are yours and how many head do you run in 'em?

Now that I comprehend your pen sizes, your overall working area is probably a little larger than mine where mine handles 30 well. For larger herds I just don't try to run the all through at once. I take the ones eager to go then make another sweep for the rest when the first run is done. Here is a google maps pic of one of setups i use the most. The blue scribbles on the second image were added to try to show the gates and actions.
WorkingPens1_zpsee065de7.jpg

WorkingPens1withgate_zpsa8a21f31.jpg

You can't see the "pivot" swing gate going to the chute because it is under the barn, it is a 10 ft gate and swings 180 degrees and opens to make and "alley (with the help of another panel) under the barn. As I mention, I handle mine by myself so that is the reason for all the catch pens. The largest group I have right now is a group of 30 which the smaller catch handles very well. the alley on the left is 12 x 60ish. I had to add that because over time the cows learned the setup and wouldn't enter the pen. Now they don't know they are being penned until they hit the closed gates, but with myself and my dog behind they go in. The barn is 5 ten foot bays and the pen extends about 5 extra feet on the right so that would be 55 feet on that side and about 30 feet in front of the barn (in additon to the the 10 feet under)

This is another setup...pretty much the same design logic with a "trap" large enough the cattle don't feel trapped while I'm penning them. It is a little larger and handles up to 60 head well.

Workingpens2_zpsb6bd21eb.jpg

....The swing gate (crowing gate) in the first plan is way better than the second. Lengthen the ally to the working area by moving it all the way to the front corner....
Most all the plans I saw seemed to utilize my first drafts crowding gate design but Dirty Boots' suggestion seemed to be a good one and I can see how it may work better which is why I changed tune. Have you any experience with the design from my second draft? Do you experience what he sees with the 1st style where the cattle turn and face the pivot point of the gate?

I have only used the style in the first drawing, but working alone I think the second isn't efficient and being I like to try to keep something between me and my cattle in close quarters, I believe the second would not fill that need when trying to close the gate so for me it is a safety issue.

....Locate a few access gates to shorten some of those walks.
Guilty about being lazy and not putting those on paper just like the swinging gates. All gates have possibility of opening either direction just never annotated it on paper on 1st. Will put those in the next one after I hear back on which crowding tub design may be superior over the other. Crowding tub changes alot of things regarding design and size of things so definitely want to drill down what design I should use.
EDIT* any recommendations on where I could use them at? After looking at it I was honestly only planning on putting one directly above the working area at the tip of where the crowd gate would be so I can get in and out of there. Should I put them anywhere else?

Just to say, I do load through the headgate with out problems but should say that mine doesn't have a floor or a squeeze. It is attatched to the chute. On both setups the side to the pens is gated (2 3/8 pipe built to fit) and opens to let an animal back into the lot. The chute has a series of sliding gates (barn door rollers) to keep the animals from backing up. I'ts not often I have to put a cow in the headgate but it's available if I need it.

After a few trips through, your animals should learn the system and anticipate the next step that enables them to be "set free". I have a friend that once his are in the lot, the only way the get to leave is through the chute. While I don't go to that extreme, mine do seem to understand that they have to go through a sorting pen before they get to leave.

Thanks for all the info 82vet! Think I'll keep the first gate design and give it a go then. Hopefully everthing will run smooth. Do you think 16'x25' pens will be good enough? Really only hoping to have 2 different groups where I'll need to sort them out from one another and then run them each into different pastures. At least that's my hope anyway. Having the third pen as was suggested would add flexibility for future growth in the event that happens but I'm not trying to get too terribly big.

I'll wait to hear about reassurance regarding holding pen sizes and then post up the next and hopefully final draft.

Thanks again everyone!

Nice plans, crowding tub in first design is probably best. Alleyway to chute definitely should be longer.

Thanks TNTux... It's been a great learning exp for me. Glad to have everyone here to help me through this.

Other than the holding pen sizes, I do have one huge question though that I haven't really spent alot of time researching or thinking about how to do this. Not sure if people can gather but other than the gates all of this will be with cedar posts and rough cut boards and/or plywood. Does anyone know how I'm going to be able to get that kind of rotation on the crowding tub gate with a cedar post? Maybe take a chainsaw to cut notches in the post to allow room for the gate to make that rotation? I know without any cutting on the cedar posts for my current gates I'm lucky to get 180 degrees so 270 degrees could pose a real issue. I can't afford a commercial steel crowding tub as nice as that'd be to have...

7greenhorn":2d39paod said:
Thanks for all the info 82vet! Think I'll keep the first gate design and give it a go then. Hopefully everthing will run smooth. Do you think 16'x25' pens will be good enough? Really only hoping to have 2 different groups where I'll need to sort them out from one another and then run them each into different pastures. At least that's my hope anyway. Having the third pen as was suggested would add flexibility for future growth in the event that happens but I'm not trying to get too terribly big.

I'll wait to hear about reassurance regarding holding pen sizes and then post up the next and hopefully final draft.

Thanks again everyone!
Sorry it took so long for a reply...I just don't hang around as much as I used to.

Yes I think 16x25 in your situation is OK...but I'd rather have one 16x25 and the other 32x25. If you find another smaller pen would be more useful than the 32x25 you can always cut it in half.

1982vett":2jciuyb2 said:
.........Yes I think 16x25 in your situation is OK...but I'd rather have one 16x25 and the other 32x25. If you find another smaller pen would be more useful than the 32x25 you can always cut it in half.

Thanks 82vett and great point/idea. I put that in the next draft and will post it in next comment. I know some said something about chasing around in the holding pen but I don't think I'll need to do much with them once their in there other than let them back into their respective pasture. Love the idea though and it gives me the opportunity for future expansion. Win win IMO!

Well here it is. I changed the holding pen sizes, reverted back to crowd tub from 1st draft, took out the meat market pen and will utilize either holding pen A or B, moved the loading bay to behind the squeeze chute, created a bend in the chute alley and increased length to approximately 12 ft (sorry couldn't get the 20' hopefully it still works), and added personnel access to crowd tub for gate control as well as personnel access to front of squeeze chute to both sides. I do know the loading bay is rather short right now and may need to be necked out further but I am only going to be loading in horse trailers so I won't need a long one. Other than that, the only other deviation will be the squeeze chute location. I want to make sure the 2 posts on each side won't interfere with the chute operator. I may also add some sliding gates in the chute alley like the ones 1982 vet suggested with the rollers.

Please by all means if there's anything to make this better let me know!!! And as before, cut off in preview but full link here;
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... esign3.jpg

corraltestdesign3.jpg

Only thing I can think of that hasn't been addressed. Remembering you said you were building with cedar post...gate sag. Can you find cedar post tall enough so you can header across to help maintain distances for your gate swings? If anyway possible, find a way to build the crowing and chute areas out of metal...the rest will be OK built out of wood. For along time my catch areas were built out of the wire cattle panels wire tied to t-post...until my bulls began pushing through in order to play "king of the mountain". Then I went to 6" treated post on 6'6" centers, 3 runs of 20' 2x6s and nailed the cattle panels on with 2" fence staples. Still a bit costly but not like all metal.

I'm still using my vet's chute. His crowd gate in the center of the tub. My calves seem to go towards the center of the tub instead of into the alley to the chute.

Anyone use a bud box instead of a tub?

Shucks vett, after losing everything to wild fire, I swear that metal is much cheaper. You can always wash rails off with a torch and reuse the posts over and over. No nails means no flats and no gouged eyes. No breaks. Easy to add onto too.

green, If a medina hinge gate was added to the crowding chute, I could go all in on it. Put it two feet from your other gate and to where you can close it against the pen side without obstructing your design. TXBobcat has some great pics if you google Granger Cattle Co. No relation to me BTW

Yah I was worried about that but I'm going to try and put one of those spring loaded wheels to hopefully offset most of the weight on the post. Our cedar posts are 8 ft long so they should be more than tall enough for a header. Hopefully we won't have to with the support on the end of the gate. I wish I could do metal 1982vet but I just priced out a few with the tub alone and they're around $3500-$3700 :shock: Is that the average? I don't think I can afford that as of right now. Maybe later down the road but that's a huge price difference when I can build it out of plywood and posts for probably around $500. Wish they were cheaper because the Hi-Hog funnel ones looked really nice. Any suggestions for me to check out that might be more affordable? Never did get a quote on the Hi-Hog one I just assumed it's in the ballpark range of the others I saw prices on..... On second thought I just looked at Powder River and I might be able to afford them. I found an advertised price online for around $1700 for 20'. Pretty excited if it's actually 1700 for the whole tub with the gate and everything. Please if anyone knows of anything as affordable or cheaper let me know. Was hoping to break ground on Monday but I'm drooling a bit for a metal tub :D It'd be alot less tedious work/setup if I just had the metal I bet. Gonna be trying to beat the cold weather too :x

Hey backhoeboogie! I'm not sure I would really benefit from the medina gate. Seems like it's more for longhorns? Hoping a squeeze chute would suffice for all our maintenance needs. But thanks for the advice! I didn't really know what a medina gate was until now :oops:

7greenhorn":1euqolpg said:
Hey backhoeboogie! I'm not sure I would really benefit from the medina gate. Seems like it's more for longhorns? Hoping a squeeze chute would suffice for all our maintenance needs. But thanks for the advice! I didn't really know what a medina gate was until now :oops:

A medina was all Dad and Grandad had for years. Neither ever ran longhorns. I have a 20 foot medina sweeping in to the chute. For a whole lot of things I do, I don't even use a squeeze. One of my nurse cows has horns. Other than that, nothing has horns.

Anyway, it was just a thought. Probably old habits but I would not be without a Medina.

Latest posts