barrels for mineral feeders--Dun

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I was reading a thread where Dun described his barrel mineral feeders but the pics would not load. I've got two free 50-55 gal. plastic barrels I want to make into mineral feeders. Can I cut the hole with a jig-saw? What do you use on the top for the rope, chain etc. to hang it and how did you install it?

Thanks

I use a U bolt to spread the weight of the barrel an minerls over more surface area. The picture shows it pretty well. Any ohter ? just ask
feeder21.jpg

How timely, just finished putting one together. I drilled a hole on the lip and used one of those carabineer clips. Cut the hole with a circ saw, hung with rope off an oak limb. Just don't cut the hole too low, duns pic is perfect. And make it wide and tall enough for the biggest head in your group. So far the cows seem to like it, as they went right to it and used it. Also, the rope that it hangs on was long, so I used the remaining rope, went to another tree from the feeder and I'm going to hang some felt strips from that for a fly rub. Dual purpose that way

hooknline":2cejy4p5 said:
How timely, just finished putting one together. I drilled a hole on the lip and used one of those carabineer clips. Cut the hole with a circ saw, hung with rope off an oak limb. Just don't cut the hole too low, duns pic is perfect. And make it wide and tall enough for the biggest head in your group. So far the cows seem to like it, as they went right to it and used it. Also, the rope that it hangs on was long, so I used the remaining rope, went to another tree from the feeder and I'm going to hang some felt strips from that for a fly rub. Dual purpose that way
I had some of those flag wipe flyps and fastened them to a rathet strap and put it around the barrel so they hang over the hole. Have to squirt them about once a week with fly stuff

I know its off the subject, but what's the best concoction to use? Flies are just now starting here

I used my jig-saw and it went through like it was butter, took about 30 seconds. I left the bottom about 11 inches deep and the hole or square is 16 inches wide and 16 inches tall. Do I need to go a little taller? If it's too wide then it's just too bad as I can't get it less wider.

I'd go taller, maybe 24-30 inches by 16-18 inches wide, but that's just me. The cows will tell you if its good or not

hooknline":3hnkd14l said:
I'd go taller, maybe 24-30 inches by 16-18 inches wide, but that's just me. The cows will tell you if its good or not
You have to leave more material at the top of the holw thne bottom. All of the weight hangs from it and I've seen them crack after just a year or 2 instead 10 plus years like most of them last

tncattle":3oieodox said:
I used my jig-saw and it went through like it was butter, took about 30 seconds. I left the bottom about 11 inches deep and the hole or square is 16 inches wide and 16 inches tall. Do I need to go a little taller? If it's too wide then it's just too bad as I can't get it less wider.

I made my opening 16"X24" with the bottom 16" from the bottom of the barrel.

I have always used a 16 x 16 hole and never had any problem.
I centered the hole.
u bolt is a good idea.
I always hung mine from three points.
best idea was we took some old broken hay ring sections and made a ring and wired two barrels inside it .
kept the bulls from playing with em and dumping em out all the time.

dun":323gmvq6 said:
hooknline":323gmvq6 said:
I had some of those flag wipe flyps and fastened them to a rathet strap and put it around the barrel so they hang over the hole. Have to squirt them about once a week with fly stuff

Where did you buy the flag wipe things?

tncattle":39mdqeca said:
Where did you buy the flag wipe things?
I got them in a box of misc junk at a sale a copule of years ago. They're the face flyps that are made to be tied to the fly BIG sausage deal that you hang between trees
TSC probably has them

I'm going to try it as it seems like a good idea cause they will get in the mineral more often than I can spray their faces. Do I need to soak them once a week or just spray?

tncattle":1zusomv8 said:
I'm going to try it as it seems like a good idea cause they will get in the mineral more often than I can spray their faces. Do I need to soak them once a week or just spray?
I fold them up on the top spray them heavy then flip them back down. Probably depends on how dry they get how fast

dun":1grqaubs said:
tncattle":1grqaubs said:
I fold them up on the top spray them heavy then flip them back down. Probably depends on how dry they get how fast

Does it ever drip down into the mineral?

tncattle":3c9dh4ws said:
dun":3c9dh4ws said:
tncattle":3c9dh4ws said:

Does it ever drip down into the mineral?
No, it tilts away form the barrel