Grilling a Rump Roast.

Help Support CattleToday:

hrbelgians

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever done a 3 1/2 lb rump roast on a gas grill, the type that has no open flame out the top?
Yea, I know, i like the charcoal grills also but am trying this one out to see if I like it.
P.S. I may even chicken out and use the charcoal grill, who knows.
Any GREAT ideas and or recipes???
Thanks

I think it's going to be tough to cook on the grill. What I would probably do is throw it on the grill for a few minutes on each side to sear it and get that grilled flavor, and then put it in the dutch oven to cook it slowly in its own juices.

I like for the roast to cook for a while, and I like catching the juices for gravy, so that is why I dutch oven mine after searing. Cooked one of these Monday and it was really good. Juicy, moist, and plenty of that beef juice. Also had those onions, carrots and potatos in with it. :D

Hope this has been helpful.

Also.... don't stick it with a fork or anything else. When you sear it, it helps hold the juice in. Use smooth tongs to move it around.

If you're cooking by temperature, put your meat thermometer in before placing in dutch oven and don't take it out until it's where you want the temp to be. Temp will continue to rise for 5 - 10 minutes, so take it out a little before its where you want it, and let it rest.

Letting beef rest for 10 minutes after cooking is one of the best things you will ever do for it.

grannysoo":3v149yis said:
What I would probably do is throw it on the grill for a few minutes on each side to sear it and get that grilled flavor, and then put it in the dutch oven to cook it slowly in its own juices.

I like for the roast to cook for a while, and I like catching the juices for gravy, so that is why I dutch oven mine after searing. Cooked one of these Monday and it was really good. Juicy, moist, and plenty of that beef juice. Also had those onions, carrots and potatos in with it. :D

Mmmm, that sounds really good. It's finally starting to cool off here and I'm looking forward to roasts and stews again.

2/B or not 2/B":3letcplz said:
grannysoo":3letcplz said:
What I would probably do is throw it on the grill for a few minutes on each side to sear it and get that grilled flavor, and then put it in the dutch oven to cook it slowly in its own juices.

Mmmm, that sounds really good. It's finally starting to cool off here and I'm looking forward to roasts and stews again.

Thanks grannysoo,
That makes sense, I will take your recomendations!!!
Leaving it rest after cooking is a new and interesting thing!!!

2B, you are right it is starting to make me hungry!!
Thanks again. :tiphat:

hrbelgians":yrlzhrzn said:
Has anyone here ever done a 3 1/2 lb rump roast on a gas grill, the type that has no open flame out the top?
Yea, I know, i like the charcoal grills also but am trying this one out to see if I like it.
P.S. I may even chicken out and use the charcoal grill, who knows.
Any GREAT ideas and or recipes???
Thanks

I do this fairly often. Try preheating the grill to 500 degrees, pierce the roast with a fillet knife and place fresh garlic in, I rub with olive oil and other spices like thyme, oregano, salt, pepper. I place it on some tinfoil and leave uncovered. Once put on the grill immediately reduce heat to around 350 degrees. I like the roast med/rare so about 15 min per pound. I do this on gas or charcoal grills.

I tried one this summer, but I put it on a rotissery (sp?). I think we kept it on a bit to long for my taste but it was good. I think we done it somewhere around 3 hours or so. Hope this helps!

;-)

It worked!!!
Talk about fingerlicking good.
I put the roast on the grill for 45 minutes uncovered, then I put it in a pot along with veggies for 1 hour. The veggies were perfect, the only thing was, the roast was medium well with this amount of time and I would prefer medium rare. So next time I might go 30 minutes on the grill instead of 45 minutes.

Thanks again for the tips!!! :tiphat:

Latest posts