training cattle dogs

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Rod
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

training cattle dogs

Post by Rod » Thu May 17, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm looking for a good book or dvd on training my red heeler to work cattle, any suggestions??

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jhambley » Thu May 17, 2007 6:13 pm

I know Jerry Rowe is a great instructor and I've been told he is coming out with a video. He also has a great training camp if you can get away for a few days.

Here is a link to his web site.
http://twincreekherding.com/about.htm

I have purchased the video by Gary Ericsson.

Here is a link to his site.
http://www.garyericssoncowdogs.com/videos.html

Here is another stock dog resource web site. If you look on their resources page it lists both books and videos.
http://www.herdingontheweb.com

Here are a couple of others but I haven't seen them:
http://www.trayerscowdogs.com/Pages/booknvideo.htm

Here is my young Australian Shepherd "Choc".

Good Luck,

JH
Last edited by jhambley on Thu May 17, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Post by Alice » Thu May 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Ohhhh! We :heart: Choc...and we surely do like what's behind that fence, also.

Watching trained cow dogs is a delight! :)

Alice
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jhambley » Thu May 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Alice...then you'll appreciate these puppy photos.

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Post by Alice » Thu May 17, 2007 8:15 pm

Alice...then you'll appreciate these puppy photos.

Oh, I do...I surely do! :heart: :heart:

You can see smart dog...precious dog...written all over that little one. Thank you!

Alice
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: training cattle dogs

Post by Brute 23 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Rod wrote:I'm looking for a good book or dvd on training my red heeler to work cattle, any suggestions??

How old is the dog? Is that what you specifically got the dog for?

The best way to train any dog, by far, is to have on finished dog and one pup. Kennel them next to each other and then go to work.

It will take consistency, lots of time, and knowing when to cut that dog loose and get another.
Last edited by Brute 23 on Thu May 17, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jhambley » Thu May 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Yes, Choc came from a breeder of working stock dogs. His mother has earned the highest trial title WTCH and his father was a working cattle dog in Canada.

This particular line "Hangin Tree" Autralian Shepherds has been linebred for many years.

Choc is 7 months old now. He won't start his formal training until September.

To learn more about his breeding you can visit the breeder's site at: http://www.adastrafarm.com/

JH

ENNOT
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ENNOT » Fri May 18, 2007 12:51 am

Go buy a Border Collie and be done with it.

I got some pups due June 10th, PM me
You always pass failure on the way to success

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Post by Limomike » Fri May 18, 2007 3:53 am

I personally prefer the healers... I gotta blue one..and I actually never sent her to a trainer.. they seem to have an instinct for what needs to be done.. all you gotta do is let them know what is good or not good for your situation.
** All good things take time ***

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jhambley » Fri May 18, 2007 5:41 am

All good stock dogs are born with a lot of natural ability and most receive no formal training.

The thing I like about this line of Australian Shepherds is their ability to "turn on" when it's time to work but "turn off" and be a companion dog that you enjoy being around. That's really important to me as I have younger kids. Some dogs I've had in the past just couldn't relax and be a companion at the end of the day and had to be kenneled if they weren't working.

You can see Choc "herding me" in this photo at 10 weeks.

JH

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Post by Limomike » Fri May 18, 2007 6:12 am

I like that choc.. do you have any others like him?
** All good things take time ***

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jhambley » Fri May 18, 2007 6:29 am

No, Choc is my only Aussie. I waited over a year for this litter of pups to be born. I was on a waiting list of over 30 people for just seven puppies.

A lot of people want these dogs for Agility training. Maybe you have seen these competions on TV? The breeder wants to keep this line going as a true working line but it's getting harder to find working ranch homes these days.

His half brother is a Level II Search & Rescue dog (Magnum) and very good stock dog earning his WTCH just last week. Another half brother is one of the top agility dogs in the country (Viper).

Magnum

Viper

Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Little Cow » Fri May 18, 2007 8:06 am

Here's my cattle dog, Arrow. She didnt require much training other than "off", (stop chasing), "easy", (slow down), and general directional commands. She hasn't been needed too much with my cows because they are so bucket trained, (and it's more fun to move them with the horses). However, Arrow proved her worth when a stray pot-bellied pig kept sneaking in after our early morning feeding to steal food from our horses. After the dog saw me chase the pig off the property using a lunge whip, she took over after that. You should heard that pig squeal each time she nipped him! Chased him right under the fence in the spot I pointed her to. Two visits were enough for him to forage elsewhere, (we knew the owners and they refused to pen him up). She still checks around for him in the morning. I think she misses the pig chases.

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Post by spinandslide » Fri May 18, 2007 8:26 pm

IMO..the best thing you can do first and foremost is establish GOOD obidience. Im talking obidience without the leash.

Some dogs have alot of ability, but not thr mental capacity.

Most heelers, as Im sure you know, are gritty and enjoy working, they are like cutting horses, you cannot MAKE a good cow dog, they are BORN good cow dogs.

Here are my two Heelers, Maggie, the female, lying down and Dakota, sitting. Maggie has had "formal" obidience training and is also trained as a drug dog! :) Dakota received his training "informaly".. as hes aged, hes gotten lazy. My husband tells me the females are better for working then the males and I tend to agree.

This is Dakota "riding" my mare

Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Little Cow » Fri May 18, 2007 8:56 pm

I agree with you on that, spinandslide.

I should have been more clear...Arrow didn't require SPECIFIC cattle dog training, but she's known obedience basics since she was a young pup. I didn't trust her with the cows until I called off a squirrel chase when she was at a dead run, (off leash). If you can trust them to listen to you when they're excited, you'll get there pretty quick.