Using yolk of egg

Help Support CattleToday:

Khoisan

Reaction score
Is yolk of egg OK if you are not sure that week old calf hav'nt received enough colostrum? Last night I bought Jersey bull calf,gave him 2.5l Blossom milk replacer - now is it advisable to mix egg yolk into his milk whether he did get enough colostrum or not? I didn't fetch the calf myself! Hear from you!

Khoisan said:
Is yolk of egg OK if you are not sure that week old calf hav'nt received enough colostrum? Last night I bought Jersey bull calf,gave him 2.5l Blossom milk replacer - now is it advisable to mix egg yolk into his milk whether he did get enough colostrum or not? I didn't fetch the calf myself! Hear from you!

Egg yolk will not replace colostrum.
If it's been 24 hours the colostrum wont help anyway. Wont hurt. But wont be absorbed correctly.

We always wisked an egg in with the milk replacer a couple times after we got a new bottle calf. Always felt that it would give the new calf some extra protein and energy.

Thanks very much - had the same line of thought - wasn't sure! As you've said - it won't hurt - going to mix in yolk into 3 litre milk this morning!

Back when I was raising baby calves I'd always put a whole raw egg, not just the yolk, in the bottle once or twice a week. It seemed to help with cutting down on scours.

Possible risk of salmonella with an egg. I use a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt instead if I have a bottle calf that's a little runny. Vitamin B Complex if it needs a boost of energy. Pro Bios gel for gut health.

Latest posts