Deep freezer

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Frigidaire about 3 years old that's been good so far but it's loud.

sstterry said:
rnh2 said:
Not really farm equipment but what brand of upright freezer do y'all recommend?

Good luck finding one. Since the pandemic, they are sold out for months in advance unless you go commercial.

Neighbor who just bought beef from us said the same thing. He ordered his in late April and it's still not here yet. I've had good luck with Frigidaire as well

We got a Frigidaire upright freezer 5 years ago from Lowe's when we started having our own beef. I've never really liked Frigidaire appliances but it's the one that suited us size and price wise that they had at the time.,So far its been good.

No freezers in stock here but you can pre order one for delivery in 2 to 3 months.
I have not seen problems with freezer "reliability", but I have seen problems with poor seals and frost buildup.
Real men have a walk in freezer. :nod:

Stocker Steve said:
No freezers in stock here but you can pre order one for delivery in 2 to 3 months.
I have not seen problems with freezer "reliability", but I have seen problems with poor seals and frost buildup.
Real men have a walk in freezer. :nod:

Did you build your own? Callmefence and I were having this discussion last week. He built his own cooler.

I have a Westinghouse, steel racks and not plastic. Good on power usage. I have coolrooms from my fruit growing days big enough to park my truck in. I have an old one that is about 4 meters by 4 meters but hasn't run for years, used r11 gas which i have run out of. Vintage unit, I'd like to stick a drop in unit on it and convert to a freezer, could keep some stock in there. If i could run it off solar and battery would be the way to go.

Frigidaire or GE, look at the scrap yards- we found both of ours and had to refill coolant and they have been working for years. We also look at commercial auctions and found a commercial freezer for free!

calfmomma said:
Frigidaire or GE, look at the scrap yards- we found both of ours and had to refill coolant and they have been working for years. We also look at commercial auctions and found a commercial freezer for free!

Do you remember what gas? They are phasing out all the old gasses which makes it hard. I have a 15hp unit on a coolroom running r11 which is obsolete now. R22 is getting really hard to get. The new gasses work well but run at higher pressures and the old compressors aren't designed for their use.

Redgully said:
calfmomma said:

Do you remember what gas? They are phasing out all the old gasses which makes it hard. I have a 15hp unit on a coolroom running r11 which is obsolete now. R22 is getting really hard to get. The new gasses work well but run at higher pressures and the old compressors aren't designed for their use.

While more expensive now, R-22 is still available here in the US. I have an older HVAC unit that I repaired just last week. I ordered a 15lb canister of R-22 on eBay. Do they make an R-11 drop-in?

They do make a drop in but you have to purge the system first and then set higher pressure. Ive been told you can get a gas that will mix but could track any further info, i think the guy may have been confusing it with r22.

Redgully said:
They do make a drop in but you have to purge the system first and then set higher pressure. Ive been told you can get a gas that will mix but could track any further info, i think the guy may have been confusing it with r22.

I found some r-11 on eBay, but it is expensive.

sstterry said:
Redgully said:

I found some r-11 on eBay, but it is expensive.

I had a guy collecting it for me every time he had to reclaim gas, he had a machine that could clean it. I gave him a ring to see how much he had and he was acting a bit funny and allusive, my guess is he got a better offer even though he never put a price to me. Maybe he stuck it on ebay!