Turnout cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
In north east Tx been to a couple sale this week since I'm out school because of the virus didn't want to be home because all the rain seem some cheap decent cows go through the ring this week. 5-7 yr old cows going 400-750 bucks would it be bad to get a few grass at my place been growing like crazy it's rained all week. Take a chance on some cheap exposed 4 months for 350 each and some other 5-7 yr old bred 5-6 months for 650 each.

To me the short breds are always the best value. When packer prices are decent like they are, the auctioneer automatically prices the 2 and 3 month breds at weigh prices.

bird dog said:
To me the short breds are always the best value. When packer prices are decent like they are, the auctioneer automatically prices the 2 and 3 month breds at weigh prices.

I'll definitely check some of those out as well.

Brute 23 said:
Just consider the timing vs price. If it calves in the next couple of months you can roll the cow and calf in the fall before you have to put any feed in them.

Brute would you lean towards heavy breds or pairs maybe .

Bfields30 said:
Brute 23 said:
Just consider the timing vs price. If it calves in the next couple of months you can roll the cow and calf in the fall before you have to put any feed in them.

Brute would you lean towards heavy breds or pairs maybe .

That's not really my game. Just throwing an option to consider out there.

Go which ever way pencils out. Doubt the deals are there on pairs that are on breds but you never know.

We have often bought pairs if the price is about what the calf will be worth at say 500 lbs. I bought a few for less than 600/pr and some were older one and dones, but there were a few that were 5-8 yrs old. The one and dones, I figure that the calf pays for the pair, the cow is the "profit" when she gets shipped if she has been on grass with little extra input. Yes there is rent and all, but if you aren't putting in alot of extras, there will be some profit. I will buy some cheap breds, but a calf on the ground is worth more to me especially if you have grass to put them out on. The cow will gain, the calf will grow. Vaccinate both for black leg at a minimum, but I am getting to where I use Triangle 10 on everyone also...killed virus, cheap insurance. And since they are "new to you" WORM them. Put on grass they ought to just keep on keeping on ......

One and done cows has been my thing for years. They always made me money as a herd. There is always individuals who are losers but you work on the average. For me it is getting too late for bred cows. I did buy a 8 month bred Angus cow 2 weeks ago. If I bought anything from now on it would be a pair. As said vaccinate and worm the heck out of them. I always figure they didn't get to stay around long enough to become and old cow if they didn't know how to raise a calf.

Dave said:
One and done cows has been my thing for years. They always made me money as a herd. There is always individuals who are losers but you work on the average. For me it is getting too late for bred cows. I did buy a 8 month bred Angus cow 2 weeks ago. If I bought anything from now on it would be a pair. As said vaccinate and worm the heck out of them. I always figure they didn't get to stay around long enough to become and old cow if they didn't know how to raise a calf.

I was trying leaning towards 2-5 month bred cows or pairs don't like really like calving after April or early May that's just me though. Early fall pairs and sell them as soon as the calve I did that this past yr profited 150/300 a pair on 7-8 yr olds

Bfields30 said:
Dave said:

I was trying leaning towards 2-5 month bred cows or pairs don't like really like calving after April or early May that's just me though. Early fall pairs and sell them as soon as the calve I did that this past yr profited 150/300 a pair on 7-8 yr olds
I have thought on that when kill prices are right. Most of those 2-4 month breds go to kill here. But right now the kill cow market is going up fast. I would let the calf get 2-4 weeks old. Again it might be just here but pairs with a fresh calf won't have as much interest from the buyers.

Do what your market will handle. I if you can calve and sell in the early fall as pairs, then do it. You have to do what you can work with and what you are good at.

Here's what I think. I know where your at. Y'all had plenty of grass last year and after this past week rain I bet you have feed this year. For the prices you posted and I'm sure you might find cheaper I'd get some. Don't buy any junk but don't be afraid to have a box of crayons and make some money. Have you got a good way to haul em without paying someone? Unless they die fatten em up on this green grass and when it's gone ship em!

Dave said:
Bfields30 said:
Dave said:

I have thought on that when kill prices are right. Most of those 2-4 month breds go to kill here. But right now the kill cow market is going up fast. I would let the calf get 2-4 weeks old. Again it might be just here but pairs with a fresh calf won't have as much interest from the buyers.

I sell all of mine off my place ...

Kingfisher said:
Here's what I think. I know where your at. Y'all had plenty of grass last year and after this past week rain I bet you have feed this year. For the prices you posted and I'm sure you might find cheaper I'd get some. Don't buy any junk but don't be afraid to have a box of crayons and make some money. Have you got a good way to haul em without paying someone? Unless they die fatten em up on this green grass and when it's gone ship em!
Yeah got a 24x6 trailer yeah this corona virus stuff has me able to go to more sales since my occupation is teaching/ coaching

Latest posts