Hoover Angus - which bulls do you like for AI?

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
I don't know how in the world i have not studied the Hoover Angus catalog before yesterday but goodness they have an old herd and provide some SUPER interesting detail. It is up there in my top 5 catalogs for details provided. Daughters retained in a herd stat? unheard of!

I'm interested in melding in some of their genetics from their best cows. We used Hoover Dam last year and will again this year. The Top Notch bull out of the L5 cow is interesting to me. I have to be careful as they run a bigger framed herd than we do down in central Texas (or what is getting to be known in 2019 as the new southwest desert).

Any suggestions on bulls you have used out of them? I'm mainly focused on trying to get the best cow genetics out of their sons. Reminder - commercial herd, castrate all bull calves and retain ownership through the feedlot and sell on a quality grid. We have no registered females and focus on fertility and longevity. The herd has large influences from Connealy, Sydenstricker and a bit of SAV started. I am also thinking how i offset the lack of marbling in the SAV side.

Not sure where you're located, but folks at hoover have always been very helpful in my selections. They would welcome you to come take a tour of their herd as well, if that's possible.

Bcompton53 said:
Not sure where you're located, but folks at hoover have always been very helpful in my selections. They would welcome you to come take a tour of their herd as well, if that's possible.

I have an email into them now.

F

Call Landi, she will be very upfront with you on sires to use. Tell her exactly what you want, but my guess is the old man (hoover Dam) is the right bull for you. He should moderate cattle better than the No doubt sons, or Entice. That is an educated guess on my part but she would know. If I didn't need the semen til April or so, I would wait until a couple of weeks after her sale before I would call her. She is honest and upfront, good people to do business with.

Hard to beat good ol' Hoover Dam. Semen is going fast, so if you are leaning that route, better get it while you can.

Ebenezer said:
Why not just skip a step and use the off farm bulls that they are using AI.

I'm not trying to get exposure to the bulls they use from others, i'm trying to get exposure to their cows...so their sons are the only way (we can't afford an embryo program in a commercial cow/calf operation). Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the AI path they are headed. it probably makes perfect sense for them to be pushing 6.5 - 7 frame cattle given their forage resources but down here in central Texas, that is a recipe for disaster.

VaCowman said:
Hard to beat good ol' Hoover Dam. Semen is going fast, so if you are leaning that route, better get it while you can.

We used him last year and have him in the tank again this year. He will be well represented.

Good plan! I have a few canes left that I hope to use SPARINGLY in some of the best females over the next few years. May hoard a cane or two for several years just to see what it's worth. Worst case scenario, I put him in my cows 10 years from now.

I have talked to the people at Hoover several times. Always been very pleasant and helpful.
I bought 100 straws of HD soon as I heard he died. I am seriously considering buying another 100 before it's gone for good.

hornedfrogbbq said:
Ebenezer said:

I'm not trying to get exposure to the bulls they use from others, i'm trying to get exposure to their cows...so their sons are the only way (we can't afford an embryo program in a commercial cow/calf operation). Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the AI path they are headed. it probably makes perfect sense for them to be pushing 6.5 - 7 frame cattle given their forage resources but down here in central Texas, that is a recipe for disaster.
Just curious why you'd not consider B3R as closer to home, less frame and plenty of variation to consider? I'm sure there are more like that in TX. Really, it doesn't matter what I think. But the best looking cows (feminine type) in the catalog were the older ones like granddams. That tells me a lot. They even had a insert bragging on the muscle in their cows. More power to them.

Ebenezer said:
hornedfrogbbq said:
Ebenezer said:

Just curious why you'd not consider B3R as closer to home, less frame and plenty of variation to consider? I'm sure there are more like that in TX. Really, it doesn't matter what I think. But the best looking cows (feminine type) in the catalog were the older ones like granddams. That tells me a lot. They even had a insert bragging on the muscle in their cows. More power to them.

We have quite a bit of Bradley. They are wonderful folks. We are trying to change it up a bit.

hornedfrogbbq said:
I don't know how in the world i have not studied the Hoover Angus catalog before yesterday but goodness they have an old herd and provide some SUPER interesting detail. It is up there in my top 5 catalogs for details provided. Daughters retained in a herd stat? unheard of!

I'm interested in melding in some of their genetics from their best cows. We used Hoover Dam last year and will again this year. The Top Notch bull out of the L5 cow is interesting to me. I have to be careful as they run a bigger framed herd than we do down in central Texas (or what is getting to be known in 2019 as the new southwest desert).

Any suggestions on bulls you have used out of them? I'm mainly focused on trying to get the best cow genetics out of their sons. Reminder - commercial herd, castrate all bull calves and retain ownership through the feedlot and sell on a quality grid. We have no registered females and focus on fertility and longevity. The herd has large influences from Connealy, Sydenstricker and a bit of SAV started. I am also thinking how i offset the lack of marbling in the SAV sid
I like Top Notch's littermate at Accelerated a little better in terms of body depth and possibly siring more desirable replacement females. I think I read in their semen directory that is the same in their herd. The Top Notch progeny look like they would do real well in the feedlot from my standpoint. I am kind of fussy about how they should look so keep that in mind as I have never used a bull from their program even after strongly considering it. Hoover Dam was on a very short list here about 5 years ago and I never pulled the trigger.

I'm interested in melding in some of their genetics from their best cows. We used Hoover Dam last year and will again this year. The Top Notch bull out of the L5 cow is interesting to me. I have to be careful as they run a bigger framed herd than we do down in central Texas (or what is getting to be known in 2019 as the.
[/quote]

I'm honestly using top notch this year because of L5. I believe we will be hear more about L5 in years to come. She just hasn't been as big of at producing of embryos like Y69 when I talked to Jud last fall.

Landi does about the best job as I've ever seen in describing her cattle and the history behind every animal.

Hoover councilor n29 is a full brother to L5.

Most of there bulls are 6+ frame.

Baldridge 38 special would add frame . A lot of marbling and I believe landi has said he maintains a 100 ribeye ratio in a bigger ribeye herd.

Bulls I'm using from them
38 special, Notary, Top Notch, HD, impact.

W.B. said:
hornedfrogbbq said:

Any suggestions on bulls you have used out of them? I'm mainly focused on trying to get the best cow genetics out of their sons. Reminder - commercial herd, castrate all bull calves and retain ownership through the feedlot and sell on a quality grid. We have no registered females and focus on fertility and longevity. The herd has large influences from Connealy, Sydenstricker and a bit of SAV started. I am also thinking how i offset the lack of marbling in the SAV sid
I like Top Notch's littermate at Accelerated a little better in terms of body depth and possibly siring more desirable replacement females. I think I read in their semen directory that is the same in their herd. The Top Notch progeny look like they would do real well in the feedlot from my standpoint. I am kind of fussy about how they should look so keep that in mind as I have never used a bull from their program even after strongly considering it. Hoover Dam was on a very short list here about 5 years ago and I never pulled the trigger.

What is the littermate's name at Accelerated. I'm not seeing it.

Using notary this spring. Heard he is really close to producing again .

Latest posts