How many hours after pulling CIDR?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bull40

Reaction score
I've been breeding 60-66 hours after pulling CIDR and shot of lutalyce. Spoke to a guy a while back that said there was no reason to not put the semen in at 54 hours. Said it didn't matter if it was heifer or cow. The guy that recommended this knows way more than I do about AI cattle. My select guy recommended 60-66 hours. Would I have better results with 54 hours? Been getting roughly 50% success so far. Thanks!!

Bull40 said:
I've been breeding 60-66 hours after pulling CIDR and shot of lutalyce. Spoke to a guy a while back that said there was no reason to not put the semen in at 54 hours. Said it didn't matter if it was heifer or cow. The guy that recommended this knows way more than I do about AI cattle. My select guy recommended 60-66 hours. Would I have better results with 54 hours? Been getting roughly 50% success so far. Thanks!!

My protocol says 54 hours after pulling CIDR for heifers and 60 hours for cows. That is if you are doing timed AI.

I think your Select Sires guy might be correct. I just pulled a CIDR on Friday from a heifer. She did not come into heat until 65 th hour.

Thanks! Isn't the semen good for 12 hours? If I breed at 60 hours I should be good until 72 correct? So at 54 hours I'm good until 66?

Bull40 said:
Thanks! Isn't the semen good for 12 hours? If I breed at 60 hours I should be good until 72 correct? So at 54 hours I'm good until 66?

Semen is viable for 24 to 34 hours. See the chart from Select Sires. Yes. If you breed at 60, you are covered. If you breed at 54 hours you are good until 78 hours at a minimum.

It's all just a numbers game. We heat detect then time AI at 72 hrs. There are always a few that get bred at about 48 hours after pulling the CIDR. You're always going to have some that cycle earlier, and some that cycle later. Trying to catch the bell curve is what the published protocols are hoping to accomplish

We observe for heat and breed after we have observed the female in standing heat. Typically they can start coming in heat 48 hours after you pull CIDRS. Our rule of thumb has been if you see standing heat in the morning breed that evening, if seen in the evening breed the next morning. I guess if you do the math on that if they start coming in heat at 48 hours that is breeding them anywhere in the 60+ hour range which is within the 54-72 hours I've seen mentioned above. We also put the stickers on that rub off when a female is ridden which can also help out when there is a lot of action going on all at once. We're also at the mercy of our AI tech being available too, he works for a big operation just down the road from us so he typically likes to stop in first thing in the morning on his way in or on his way home in the evening.

Everyone has their own methods that seems to work for them so go with what you think works best for your operation. I know we won't force breed a female if we don't observe heat as we aren't going to waste a straw of semen that we paid for on what will likely not result in a conception. Typically those we don't observe in heat get bred 3 weeks later by the cleanup herd bull so at the very least synchronization seems to be helping us tighten up our calving windows as we'll have the bulk of our calves within the timed AI and next heat cycle now for those that we did synch up.

If I had to pick a time to TAI it would be 66hrs, seems to split heifers and cows, I dont like TAI I'd rather breed them when needed, at 72 everything gets a straw, also gnrh for everything, rod out gnrh in.

Latest posts