Pregnant cow showing heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Went to feed this morning and saw a "pregnant" heifer being followed by a group of weaned bull calves. They all tried mounting her and then she tried to mount another bred cow. She was pregnant tested via blood and due May 15th. Anyone seen this behavior before ? https://vimeo.com/381428745

Probably early embryonic death. Sad. But it happens here too. You get one confirmed bred and the embryo dies. She is clearly in estrus.

Richnm said:
Should I take her to be re-preg tested or sync her next week ?

No need to preg test. She lost her pregnancy. If she is standing, AI her this afternoon. Otherwise, you could give her Lutalyse in 8 to 10 days to recycle her. She will come back into heat after the Lutalyse shot. Usually 48 to 72 hours.

Richnm said:
The bull calves are 7-8 months. My chance they might get her ?

There is a chance but not likely at 7 to 8 months. But you are getting awful close to that fertility line in bulls at 8 months. I would not rule it out.

If I give her a shot of lute in 10 days. Would it create an abortion ? Thanks friend. Your the best

I'd get her checked before I gave her lute. There are occurrences of preg cows coming into heat. Not a lot but some. The most extreme was a dairy cow that a friend had at his dairy. She cycled every month whether she was bred or open and was very fertile to always breed early.

Richnm said:
If I give her a shot of lute in 10 days. Would it create an abortion ? Thanks friend. Your the best

The odds are on that she has already lost her pregnancy. So there is nothing to abort. Yes, pregnant cows/heifers can have false estrus but IMO, you play the probabilities. The most likely scenario is that she lost her pregnancy and you have observed her in heat.

If you administer Lutalyse (it causes lysis of the Corpus Luteum) in 10 days from now, she will return to heat. That saves you about 8 days in waiting for a full term cycle.

If you want to cover the bases, you could have a vet palpate her to confirm that she has lost her pregnancy. Up to you.

There is no reason to panic at this point. I've had several cows do exactly this and have a calf a few days to a few weeks later.
Don't assume she has lost her pregnancy.

Edit to add: The one I had last March had everybody worked up and riding her for about a week before she finally calved.

Rich

I am going to go with the consensus. It would be very easy to have her palpated before you Lutalyse her. You have a window of 8 to10 days before it would be time to administer the Lutalyse.

In my experience, when I have seen one of mine in the type of behavior you picture, she is open. Fortunately, I don't lose many pregnancies here, but it goes about like this:

My cows don't lose many pregnances,
But when I see a heifer/cow in estrus behavior,
She has lost her pregnancy.

Have her palpated. Then come back to this thread are post the results.

I wil have her palpated ASAP. The little bulls all have got her today multiple times. I meant to say, if the lute shot in 8-10 days will abort any pregnancy the little bulls might have caused today.

Richnm said:
I wil have her palpated ASAP. The little bulls all have got her today multiple times. I meant to say, if the lute shot in 8-10 days will abort any pregnancy the little bulls might have caused today.

Yes. Rich. If those bulls bred her, the Lutalyse shot will abort that pregnancy.

alisonb said:
Bright Raven said:
Richnm said:

Yes. Rich. If those bulls bred her, the Lutalyse shot will abort that pregnancy.
Even that is not a dead cert...

Correct. Almost every phenomenon is a function of probabilities.

Latest posts