Angus Bulls To Reduce Frame Size

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungAngusCattle

Reaction score
I have a cow that has too much frame for me and could use more efficiency, she makes great freezer beef steers. I was wondering if there were any sires out there too reduce frame size and add a little efficiency, as I don't wanna keep any females out of her if they are gonna carry on these less than ideal traits for me.

SAV Bruiser might just be your ticket. Great efficiency in a very moderate size package. Very proven to do what you are asking.

hornedfrogbbq said:
SAV Bruiser might just be your ticket. Great efficiency in a very moderate size package. Very proven to do what you are asking.

That might be the best bet as I already have Bruiser in the tank.

Coleman Charlo
SAV Resource
Coleman Bravo

Are three Sires that I think would do what you are looking for

If you do not register your Angus crop, why not use a RA bull like Brown Redemption?
Doing so would scare the bejesus out of the sheeple AAA members who're conditioned to believe red's are a defect. :roll:

Coleman Charlo 0256
Rito 6EM3 of Emblazon 4L1

Used both pretty heavily at home. Charlo DEFINITELY knocks them down a frame score, but they are incredibly thick and long. Steers had good growth too.

I really like the 6EM3 heifers and cows I have. Moderate and pretty perfect phenotype. Steers wouldn't blow you away, but they were bad. Depended very much on the cow they were out of.

Neither are going to make you get too excited based on carcass and growth EPDs, but they make good females.

Coleman Charlo
SAV Resource
Coleman Bravo

Are three Sires that I think would do what you are looking for
I like these depending on how much you want to reduce frame.
I would consider Charlo and Resource both highly maternal.
I haven't seen many Bravos, but if he comes from Coleman he's probably maternal.

I like these depending on how much you want to reduce frame.
I would consider Charlo and Resource both highly maternal.
I haven't seen many Bravos, but if he comes from Coleman he's probably maternal.
Maternal?
Charlo is in the
bottom 10% for docility
Bottom 20% for heifer pregnancy
-3 bottom of the breed for CEM
And keep in mind those EPD's are all 80% or higher accuracy

I have a cow that has too much frame for me and could use more efficiency, she makes great freezer beef steers. I was wondering if there were any sires out there too reduce frame size and add a little efficiency, as I don't wanna keep any females out of her if they are gonna carry on these less than ideal traits for me.
Been there
Done that
She is the kind that could come up open at middle age
May be ahead by selling her -- rather than spending years on fire and ice matings

Any bull with an OCC prefix. My favorite is OCC Legend but might be hard to find semen.

Maternal?
Charlo is in the
bottom 10% for docility
Bottom 20% for heifer pregnancy
-3 bottom of the breed for CEM
And keep in mind those EPD's are all 80% or higher accuracy
As far as I know, EXT is also in the bottom 10% for docility? Are you going to argue he isn't maternal?
Hoover Dam doesn't have a good HP, but yet his daughters sure seem fertile to me.
As far as CEM, breed him to something with a good CED and CEM if that's a concern.
Numbers are just a tool.
In my mind, if you're going to argue Coleman bulls aren't maternal, your credibility is shot.

Last edited:
I would also look at Charlo's MW.
I don't think he's tall enough for where I live, but if you're telling people maternal bulls are not maternal just by looking at numbers, and not actually knowing the cattle, then correcting people who have seen the cattle is not what you should be doing, in my opinion.

As far as I know, EXT is also in the bottom 10% for docility? Are you going to argue he isn't maternal?
Hoover Dam doesn't have a good HP, but yet his daughters sure seem fertile to me.
As far as CEM, breed him to something with a good CED and CEM if that's a concern.
Numbers are just a tool.
In my mind, if you're going to argue Coleman bulls aren't maternal, your credibility is shot.
With all due respect, I don't think that Kentuckyguy was saying any thing negative about any breeding program just stating the stats on the epd's of a particular bull. I'm not one to put a lot of faith in epds to start with, but a lot of folks do and comb over every detail on the list when selecting so I don't think anyone's credibility is on the line.

Then would the optimal thing to do not have been saying something to the effect of, 'I have concerns about some of his #'s'?
Proven bulls are punished by the number system. People are punishing the commercial cattleman by choosing bulls based on numbers, yet not understanding how the numbers work, and why a particular bull's numbers are the way they are.

The optimal thing is realizing that there are several different ways of looking at the same thing depending on what an individual's goals are. An individual's credibility isn't on the line in a random discussion. I agree that epds are not always what they seem. Outside of birthweight and CED it takes a long time to build reliable useful numbers. Constant changes do penalize older sires. I think that chasing numbers has hurt registered herds as well as commercial.