Protests close them

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Valley Oaks Steak Company had barely gotten the light switches figured out on their state-of-the-art meat processing facility when they succumbed to anti-ag activists last month. Following a year of harassment, threats and lawsuits they announced Aug. 19 they were ceasing business.

Ironically, the family-owned feedlot and meat processing plant, located 30 miles east of Kansas City, was designed as a sustainability, environmentally-conscious, socially-aware, locally-grown foodie's dream. "We did everything 'they' wanted," says manager Jake Huddleston, even installing an observation deck over the kill floor. The cutting-edge processing plant is owned by the Ward family, noted Angus cattle breeders and area real estate developers. It was built in 2016 alongside the largest covered feedlot in Missouri that has a capacity of 900 head. Cattle were fed, finished and then walked to harvest in a one-site, low-stress environment. The meat was sold off the farm.

It was as close as a family, a farm and a fork have ever been.

Leading the lawsuit was the 1,000-acre Powell Gardens, a botanical garden community four miles from Valley Oaks, in partnership with a variety of anti-agricultural groups and a deep arsenal of misinformation. Statements from opposition claimed they were certainly pro-farming, just "not here." Signs posted read "No to Valley Oaks – Farms not Factories."

After over $1 million in legal fees in one year the burden was too much. "It's crippling," says Huddleston. "How do you work that into your P&L?

https://www.tsln.com/news/never-enough/

HDRider said:
Valley Oaks Steak Company had barely gotten the light switches figured out on their state-of-the-art meat processing facility when they succumbed to anti-ag activists last month. Following a year of harassment, threats and lawsuits they announced Aug. 19 they were ceasing business.

Ironically, the family-owned feedlot and meat processing plant, located 30 miles east of Kansas City, was designed as a sustainability, environmentally-conscious, socially-aware, locally-grown foodie's dream. "We did everything 'they' wanted," says manager Jake Huddleston, even installing an observation deck over the kill floor. The cutting-edge processing plant is owned by the Ward family, noted Angus cattle breeders and area real estate developers. It was built in 2016 alongside the largest covered feedlot in Missouri that has a capacity of 900 head. Cattle were fed, finished and then walked to harvest in a one-site, low-stress environment. The meat was sold off the farm.

Leading the lawsuit was the 1,000-acre Powell Gardens, a botanical garden community four miles from Valley Oaks, in partnership with a variety of anti-agricultural groups and a deep arsenal of misinformation. Statements from opposition claimed they were certainly pro-farming, just "not here." Signs posted read "No to Valley Oaks – Farms not Factories."

After over $1 million in legal fees in one year the burden was too much. "It's crippling," says Huddleston. "How do you work that into your P&L?

That's just sickening to read. What is happening to our society? Are people really this disconnected from nature, the food chain, the circle of life? First world problems.. i reckon the day is coming when many will no longer have first world problems and will have to deal with survival :?:

bball said:
HDRider said:

That's just sickening to read. What is happening to our society? Are people really this disconnected from nature, the food chain, the circle of life? First world problems.. i reckon the day is coming when many will no longer have first world problems and will have to deal with survival :?:

We are closer to anarchy than many realize!

Unbelievable but it is happening everywhere around the world. They take it for granted that even though they close these places down they can still go to the supermarket and buy what they fancy. It is going to catch up with them.

Ken

thankfully it seems like some governments are stepping up penalties/sentences for this crap, but not nearly enough if you ask me

While it might be hard to top the these acts of violence, perhaps the most chilling and disturbing example is of the political variety — activists are lobbying to allow civilians to open up your stock trailers or sneak onto your farms and "free" the livestock under your care.

Yes, you read that right.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/farm-life/lock-gates-activists-are-coming

In a recent report from KCRG News, "Johnson County Fair officials said animal rights activists have been disrupting the fair which they said stems from the 'Family Rodeo' event.

"Long-time fairgoer Sara Krieger said it's disturbing what the group has been doing.

"'They have been going around and cutting halters and cutting the hairs off the tail of cattle as well as letting the animals out,' Krieger said.

"This has caused her to make extra efforts, needing to take her 12 show animals home every single day of the fair for the safety of the animals.

"'We've always felt secure here,' Krieger said. She is confused as to why anyone would want to put the animals, or other people, at risk. Fair officials said they are anticipating protestors.

"'If you let them loose, they're going to run through the fair, they're going to get caught up in something,' Krieger said. 'Run people over; these people love their animals and they are well cared for. I put more time and money into my horses than I do myself. If you want to support an organization that combats animal cruelty, you should join 4-H.'"

It is sad and scary to think about animal rights activists targeting 4-H youth and putting their livestock in danger with their shenanigans. These individuals, whether acting on behalf of an organization and working independently, should be held accountable for their actions.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/farm-life/activists-target-4-h-youth-vandalism-county-fair

For what it's worth I would recommend having gates chained at both ends. I would also chain and lock trailer doors if they aren't already equipped with a place for a padlock. I venture to say a lot of those "activists" are more like anarchists in that they just jump on a bandwagon to cause trouble. Another percentage are misinformed do gooder's. Unfortunately, I think our society is becoming more self absorbed and focused on certain agendas of the day while growing more vocal and more towards activist action on a lot of different fronts.

We must be an easy target for the activists. Every week before the weekend I see on the nightly news the fishing report with guys and girls proudly holding up a fish by a gaff in its side that they have just caught or holding out a fish gasping for air. I think to myself if these people were in the livestock industry they would have more sense than to flaunt things like this and attract attention.
Maybe it is because these activists like to go out and have a fish themselves. I know some vegetarians when they are fanging for a piece of meat they will eat a piece of fish.
I think a lot of the young guys are out to impress the young girls so they can get into their pants.

Ken

how do these activist get started? i mean who or what instigates the activism, and the sheeples that follow?

during the vietnam war there were people against it and spoke up and i got that, but some of this stuff these days i don't get.

ccr said:
how do these activist get started? i mean who or what instigates the activism, and the sheeples that follow?

during the vietnam war there were people against it and spoke up and i got that, but some of this stuff these days i don't get.
I don't understand it either. However, I suspect many lack a real purpose and direction for existing. Consequently, to make their existence "feel" meaningful and special, they get involved with horsesh*t like what has been previously posted. When i see the pics and videos of the people engaged in these behaviors, I just see empty, shallow, sad, angry ghosts. I would pity them if they werent screwing things up so bad; and their numbers are growing... :frowns:

ccr said:

They have free time because they are not out working trying to support families.

https://powellgardens.org/protecting-powell-gardens-and-its-community/

https://fox4kc.com/2018/02/21/butcher-shop-hoping-to-expand-in-lone-jack-causes-controversy-for-community/

I am not advocating one way or the other on this just adding some information as what is going on.

hurleyjd said:
https://powellgardens.org/protecting-powell-gardens-and-its-community/

https://fox4kc.com/2018/02/21/butcher-shop-hoping-to-expand-in-lone-jack-causes-controversy-for-community/

I am not advocating one way or the other on this just adding some information as what is going on.

That Lone Jack, Missouri situation is a good example of NIMBY.

NIMBY exposes the hypocrites. Whether it is a landfill, mine, manufacturing plant or large slaughterhouse, it is always a great development for the community if it is in John Doe's backyard. Just not in my backyard. Lol

ccr said:

May I ask a simple question are we as cattle producers activists or not. Is the side your on with a group of other people considered an activist that is right and the other that is against you that form as a group an activist. Are people that belong to political parties also activists that believe that their side is right. Activism is more prevalent now after all of the social media that we are exposed to and people out there that we do not know trying to reach into our minds and control our thoughts and actions. Wish the only problems we had would be why does my tractor not do right in cold weather and what is the best pickup to buy what is the best breed of cattle to raise. We can find it all right here on the Cattle Today Website which was not available to me twenty years ago.

hurleyjd said:
ccr said:

May I ask a simple question are we as cattle producers activists or not. Is the side your on with a group of other people considered an activist that is right and the other that is against you that form as a group an activist. Are people that belong to political parties also activists that believe that their side is right. Activism is more prevalent now after all of the social media that we are exposed to and people out there that we do not know trying to reach into our minds and control our thoughts and actions. Wish the only problems we had would be why does my tractor not do right in cold weather and what is the best pickup to buy what is the best breed of cattle to raise. We can find it all right here on the Cattle Today Website which was not available to me twenty years ago.

In a sense by definition of activist the root word is active so the argument could I suppose be made that someone involved in anyway with any particular subject is a activist. I believe in reality that is too simple of terms and not the complete story. I and I think most equate the term activist to be applied to someone or group using extreme measures to bring "awareness to their cause. Therefore by that definition cattle producers are not activists.
To me someone who disagrees with my way of thinking on social or political or whatever views is not an activist automatically. If an individual or a group is pushing an agenda in a confrontational or out of the ordinary way that disrupts or causes tangible problems for another then that is what I would consider activism. Asking questions objectively and even civilly arguing points and positions in appropriate settings is not what I would call activism.

ccr said:

My step sister is an animal activist like this. She has always struggled socially. About 5 years ago she watched a few documentaries and then became vegan. She started following a big vegan personality around here. That vegan personality posts a lot about local farms. Then she started joining this person at farms protesting. And now she's posting up with signs out front of farms weekly. Before you know it she will be freeing my animals.

My farm accounts post about this kind of stuff all the time. I try and bring light to it. Try and explain to the people that follow my account why and how most farmers care. But then I pick up an almost dead calf off the auction floor. And then people see it. Then a whole new online post gets started. One about how the farmers that "care" allowed that to happen.

At this point there is such a generational gap between the folks who have lived directly off of the farm and land to where most folks are at least 2 to 3 or more generations dependent on stores and restaurants for their food. Most have little to know first or even second hand information on the reality of animal agriculture, so it's easy for folks with an agenda to falsely influence others into believing them.

Latest posts