Early breed cycle?

Help Support CattleToday:

PCC

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the time frame a cow will cycle after calving. On November 26 a first calf heifer calves a stillborn calf. On the first of December we introduced the bull to the cow herd. Yesterday, the 4th he showed interest in her and today her indicator sticker was rubbed clean showing she had been covered. This is all well and good except I have never heard of a cow cycling so soon after calving. Does it have to do with losing her calf? What are the chances of her actually settling? Thank you for any insight you have on this,
Jen

Yes a lot of time mother nature puts the animal right back in heat. Its the old preservation of the species thingy.

I guess it works on most animals. I read about a study a while back where they were monitoring some largemouth bass. Some of the bass had moved up to spawn, laid the eggs and were guarding the nest when a fisherman went over the nest with his trolling motor destroying it. The bass backed off for a few weeks then spawned again even though it was late in the year.
The biologist said the fish would keep trying until she got the job done while the successful spawners were one hatching and done.

No milk production will bring them into heat pretty quickly.
I had a first this fall. Cow calved 11/19/2019, 98 pound heifer calf. On 12/1, she was in active standing heat! That is just 12 days post calving. I chose to let her cycle again, no way she is healed enough to conceive!

As others have said, two years ago we had a stillbirth, she was in heat 10 days later. I have heard of people pulling calves for a day to get cows to start cycling early.

Mares will conceive fairly well on the foal heat which is only a week after foaling so don't discount the chance of the heifer conceiving. I think the chances would be better with natural service rather than AI.

Ken

I had a cow a few years back that calved (live, healthy calf, kept as replacement) sometime the first week of NOV and was standing the day we AI'ed the "early" cows that had calved in Sept. At preg check, she took to the AI, and was <3 weeks post calving when she was AIed. She was a great cow that had just fell back to Nov for whatever reason (suspect early embryonic death loss) but was obviously eager to catch back up with her herd mates! The Nov calf was stomping good and made it to the replacement pen, even though she was much younger than the others. She took AI (I noted a trend in fertility) and ended up losing her because I thought coyotes had got her calf, but it had just gotten stuck in cervix. Heifer went septic in a matter of days and died about 2 days after I took her to the vet after noticing her going downhill quickly. Talk about a gut punch. Her other sisters are still going strong, getting bred every year, mostly to AI. Great cow line!

Latest posts