Herefords and markings.

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi All,

When looking for Hereford calves, is the markings or coloring of any importance ?

When looking for Angus, you do not want any white anywhere, so it is pretty easy to spot if there is anything throwing back from somewhere, but what do the markets there look for in Hereford, and, if any Aussies have Hereford, what do our markets look for.

I have some calves already, some have all white face and white under belly, and hoof area, others have red also on face, maybe around eyes, or a patch of red, most have white noses, but one has a red coloured nose, sort of like Angus, but is not a baldy.

Am planning on baldies, just want to watch what stock I start with. Want them also to be a decent saleable beast if need arises.

It would seem down here, with the limited people I have spoken with, that Hereford is anything that looks like Hereford :)

"you do not want any white anywhere" Not in the US. White allowed up to the navel on the belly.

You can get (pun) color blind worrying about color. Select the best animal under the hair and let 'er rip.

You mean on Angus ?

A lot do have a little tuft of white around udder area.

I was told by a guy working in an operation that that was first thing they checked...must be black and everywhere...was a stud operation I believe.

Yeah...I hear you on looking for straight jet black.....

In my part of the world it only matters that they do not have typical Hereford markings. After that, the buyer preference is for large traditional Simmie or Charolais type calves. Black is no longer a selling point, but quality is, regardless of colour.

There is a big difference between what you want in terms of marketing and in terms of breed purity. They are basically polar opposites of each other.

Commercial guys want the equivalent of a red baldy as a marketable Hereford calf - lots of red, very little white.

Silver said:
In my part of the world it only matters that they do not have typical Hereford markings. After that, the buyer preference is for large traditional Simmie or Charolais type calves. Black is no longer a selling point, but quality is, regardless of colour.

Hi Silver,

You mean the resulting calves ?

I am meaning what is best to look for in the heifers that will be used too cross, but may also at some point need to be sold off.

Herefords that are polled sell pretty well down here, but sales are full of Black Angus.

I have some Angus, but have beem adding Hereford heifers for breeders.

Do you think it matters about markings, or, as long as it looks Hereford...and is a quality beast, that is all that will matter.

I suppose, in a way, trying to make sure there is no dairy in there...but is prob unlikely.

greggy said:
Silver said:

Hi Silver,

You mean the resulting calves ?

I am meaning what is best to look for in the heifers that will be used too cross, but may also at some point need to be sold off.

Herefords that are polled sell pretty well down here, but sales are full of Black Angus.

I have some Angus, but have beem adding Hereford heifers for breeders.

Do you think it matters about markings, or, as long as it looks Hereford...and is a quality beast, that is all that will matter.

I suppose, in a way, trying to make sure there is no dairy in there...but is prob unlikely.

I was referring specifically to calves, but I suppose the same is true for all ages. Around here it's fine to have Hereford, as long as it's not marked like a Hereford. Hereford markings seem to get docked every time. Makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.

Yeah...makes no sense....seems maybe market is looking for the crosses there.

I have watched some sales here with pen of hereford prob yearlings from people who just breed hereford....and pens of black angus either side....price was near same within a few cents when bidding was at the 230c range per kg....essentially, same money....

I can understand why people want the crosses though....if angus cross....good for growth and as cows....I just decided to start with as many Hereford heifer calves as I can handle or get within reasonable distance and cost, I can get crosses, but then I would not know real history, so starting with what I, will my skill and knowledge level, can pretty much know is a reasonable base.

Made similar mistake with sheep, people either lie, or, have no clue, sell you an animal as being x or y level, then as you breed to a known commercial ram of same breed...viola...out pops a bit of this...or that...and you go...mmm...ok.

Ironically, what some said were the worst animals, have thrown great lambs, that I can at least say are looking like the breed they are supposed too.

I am not wanting to buy stud Hereford animals, and the sales and people in the game will tell you anything, therefore my many, many questions. I have too learn fast and on my feet....at least I know what I do buy will always sell, I aint buying no dalmation looking mongrel dairy cross with taurus and indicus in it...... but some have tried selling me all sorts of things.

I should have posed this question as...

When looking for young calves, that you will grow, and once size is ok, then breed them to make baldy calves, with the heifers to possibly be retained, steers to be sold.

As Herefords, is there any more desirable markings.

My research says, white face better, white below first joint on legs, maybe a strip of white from head to mid back, white under belly.

In a way, I am also asking people to h\give hints on what to look for if they may already be crosses, a black or red baldy is pretty easy to spot, but maybe they also throw some reds that "look" like Hereford, but really are not ?

greggy said:
I should have posed this question as...

When looking for young calves, that you will grow, and once size is ok, then breed them to make baldy calves, with the heifers to possibly be retained, steers to be sold.

As Herefords, is there any more desirable markings.

My research says, white face better, white below first joint on legs, maybe a strip of white from head to mid back, white under belly.

In a way, I am also asking people to h\give hints on what to look for if they may already be crosses, a black or red baldy is pretty easy to spot, but maybe they also throw some reds that "look" like Hereford, but really are not ?

Unfortunately, the "Hereford look" can be pretty much debatable these days. I have had 3/4 Hereford calves from BWF cows that "look" more Hereford than some known Herefords. They commonly now have goggle eyes and solid red necks and legs so it can be hard to differentiate those in a commercial setting. When we had dairy cows and used Hereford bulls, the HolsteinX ones would typically have much more white. The JerseyX would be have minimal white except for the face. The faces could be solid white or have goggle eyes, the shades of red could vary greatly as well from a real dark to a bright rich shade of red that in each case was noticeably different than why one would expect a straight Hereford to be. Some of those could also have brindle markings too. The phenotype was also different in that they were taller and retained some visible dairy breed looks.
I have posted this individual calf before due to her unusual markings. She is from "straight bred Hereford" bull and cow. Also had a similar marked calf two years ago from a mating of the same sire and a half sister to the dam of this calf.

When I look at the hair and head, it says Hereford too me...

The rear end says to me no Jersey :)

I guess some patches or stripe etc could turn up....

greggy said:
PS...if your breeding Hereford....do you intend to keep and use those with these markings....

That one in the picture has no Jersey she is supposedly straight Hereford. I am intending to keep her, I would not register her but she should make a good commercial cow.

Yeah, gotcha...

Also, was not saying I think she had Jersey :) She has too much butt to have any Jersey :)))

We had a Hereford shorthorn heifer. She had a motley face, white underline and legs. We bred her to a roan shorthorn bull. Her bull calf looked straight Hereford with all the Hereford markings except for the white on top the neck.

IMO a Hereford should be either the traditional Hereford red or yellow and have a white face. IMO what I call a crossbred red indicates an impurity somewhere. I see reg Herefords that are the same color and have the same markings as my F1 Red Angus/Hereford crosses. When I look for a Hereford I look for one that meets my criteria. The best way I've found is look for old bloodlines and there are a few linebred bloodlines that offer what I look for.

Latest posts