Sold 10 calves

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
at Kentucky Tennessee Livestock in Guthrie Thursday.
1 525 lb. gray heifer at 1.0850
3 black bulls averaged 607 lbs. at 1.1975 each
2 black heifers averaged 620 lbs. at 1.12 each
1 black bull 585 lbs. 1.23
1 black heifer 510 lbs. 1.18
1 black heifer 585 lbs. 1.14
1 black bull with horns 565 lbs. 1.10

Was one of their larger sells that they had for a while. Happy to have the mouths gone thought I'd share the going report.

Sure glad I sold our steers when I did. Looking at your prices, I checked with our "best" feeder calf market for NY.
11-9 sale date -- 3-500# High 1.35 5-700# High 1.30 700+ High 1.23
I sold ours on 10-11 (private treaty but based on the last sale at this location) average 724# @ 1.44
The 1.44 might not have been the high for that weight at the sale, but buyer pays me "the high" for all weights. I "think" it was the high for 5-700# weight.
Were these some of your later born calves?

Sold some heifers... Kentucky.
I loved these heifers but they just wasn't gaining. We wormed them, feed them grain, everything. They were super slow growers. Going to start again with some better cows and less. Live and learn. I about cried when we sold them but I cried know we can't keep feeding them losing money either. Can't make a Ford a Chevy. 😉😁😇🤡👏🏼🙌🏾🤢🤮🤧😎

Chevy said:

Sold some heifers... Kentucky.
I loved these heifers but they just wasn't gaining. We wormed them, feed them grain, everything. They were super slow growers. Going to start again with some better cows and less. Live and learn. I about cried when we sold them but I cried know we can't keep feeding them losing money either. Can't make a Ford a Chevy. 😉😁😇🤡👏🏼🙌🏾🤢🤮🤧😎
Those are some tiny calves. Do your cows milk at all? How old were they?

They were at least 6 months old. Problem number one think they were weaned to early. 2. Bad genetics

HDRider said:
Quality wise, how would you rate them, 10 being really good

Thanks for sharing.

Overall mostly nice stout calves. Most sold in their top graded pens. Color hurt the gray heifer and of course the horns hurt the 1 black bull. The black heifers were top of the line and sold in their top pen. Three of them were purebred from my register stock and I usually would have retained them for myself or sold as replacements but didn't feel like fooling with them this winter. Matter of fact think I'm going to sell all our calves this season and not keep any heifers or bulls. Not much demand or desire for cattle in this area of the country anymore.

FlyingLSimmentals said:
HDRider said:
Quality wise, how would you rate them, 10 being really good

Thanks for sharing.

Overall mostly nice stout calves. Most sold in their top graded pens. Color hurt the gray heifer and of course the horns hurt the 1 black bull. The black heifers were top of the line and sold in their top pen. Three of them were purebred from my register stock and I usually would have retained them for myself or sold as replacements but didn't feel like fooling with them this winter. Matter of fact think I'm going to sell all our calves this season and not keep any heifers or bulls. Not much demand or desire for cattle in this area of the country anymore.

That is off 20 - 50 cents what they are here. Except you just don't see bulls sold here. In the last month going to two sales a week I have watched well over 10,000 feeder calves go through the ring. Maybe half a dozen bulls that size.

Latest posts