Bucks only

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
A mature buck for sure, but I was a little disappointed in what he was. Maybe we can do better. The acorns are getting thin and the deer are really starting to pour in the oat fields right before dark.

callmefence said:
A mature buck for sure, but I was a little disappointed in what he was. Maybe we can do better. The acorns are getting thin and the deer are really starting to pour in the oat fields right before dark.

Those are the type that needs to be culled IMO. We have way too many mature bucks with so so genetics in my area. Big bodied deer with mass but no width. This is typical for the area.
They still taste good.

ccr said:
cb, how many pounds of meat do you get out of a deer like that

We have several different gene pools in play here. East Texas deer herd was virtually extinct up to the 40's.
Deer were released in the counties from various sources from around the country. We have some that will run 200 lbs on the hoof and others that will run 130 lbs guts and feathers .
The one I put up today had about 60 lbs of boned out meat.
They imported deer to my county from the early 40's until 1990.
Here is some of the bigger genetics.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0088a.pdf

We had just pulled that buck out it the cold room. Where he'd been laying for three days.
Makes em look a flat lol.
Anyone who says they killed a central Texas deer that hung gutted over 100 pounds is probably full of wind. And you better be efficient with the knife to get 30 pounds of good meat. Well put 10 in the freezer though.

callmefence said:
We had just pulled that buck out it the cold room. Where he'd been laying for three days.
Makes em look a flat lol.
Anyone who says they killed a central Texas deer that hung gutted over 100 pounds is probably full of wind. And you better be efficient with the knife to get 30 pounds of good meat. Well put 10 in the freezer though.

First time Hubby came back from a hunting trip in TX I asked him what he did with his buck. He pointed to a Coleman cooler and I just laaaaaughed. And no, it wasn't a little spike.

A lot has to do with the food source. There are exceptions like the some in hill country and places but you put the right food source, and some age, to most of the deer in Texas and you will produce good deer both horns and body weight.

Deer can vary drastically in a 10 mile stretch. A lot of times you see people say our deer never get over this big, no matter if its horns or body weight, but that is due to the hunting pressure. Most of these people are killing 2.5 and 3.5 year old deer and the 4-4.5s are not the top of the gene pool. The top deer in the gene pool was shot at 2.5-3.5 because he was already exceptional at that point.

I still have people with in mile of some places we hunt that are in their late 60s,have lived there all their life, and swear the genetics will not produce a certain size deer. They continue to shoot the first 2.5-3.5 year old, 8pt, deer they see. We have 140-150 class deer with kickers and all kinds of stuff not even a mile away.

Brute 23 said:
A lot has to do with the food source. There are exceptions like the some in hill country and places but you put the right food source, and some age, to most of the deer in Texas and you will produce good deer both horns and body weight.

Deer can vary drastically in a 10 mile stretch. A lot of times you see people say our deer never get over this big, no matter if its horns or body weight, but that is due to the hunting pressure. Most of these people are killing 2.5 and 3.5 year old deer and the 4-4.5s are not the top of the gene pool. The top deer in the gene pool was shot at 2.5-3.5 because he was already exceptional at that point.

I still have people with in mile of some places we hunt that are in their late 60s,have lived there all their life, and swear the genetics will not produce a certain size deer. They continue to shoot the first 2.5-3.5 year old, 8pt, deer they see. We have 140-150 class deer with kickers and all kinds of stuff not even a mile away.

Run into the same mentality here. Frustrating to let a decent young one walk by, only to hear the shots from 10 minutes down the same way he was headed. Strong hunting pressure on bucks in these parts. You can kill does in my county until you're tired of skinning them.

Brute 23 said:

Agree last years buck was 6 this years 5 1/2. Had both ages verified by TPWD .

Caustic Burno said:
greybeard said:
Acorn crop in my area is/was almost non-existent this year. White and red oak.

Same here and only a few live oak.
I don't recall an acorn crop failure across so many various oaks in the same year.

One of the biggest acorn crops I can remember here.

So cb you live real close to duece..... ;-)

greybeard said:
Deuce..I've been called worse.....and yes, if you call about 70 miles 'close', which in Texas, it probably is.

You missed the meaning. Lol

He was addressing that to CB. There is a joke in there.

Here in Tx, 'deuce' is sometimes slang for shitbird or **** (feces) ..inferring CB lives close to me.
That's the joke.
It's no biggie.

greybeard said:
Here in Tx, 'deuce' is sometimes slang for be nice or be nice (feces) ..inferring CB lives close to me.
That's the joke.
It's no biggie.

Think Mod2. The 2 being Deuce. Has nothing about feces. Lol. Just harmless humor.