Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Cattle problems.
greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by greggy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 am

Hi All,

As per other posts, I am doing many unusual things, and, am hand feeding a lot as we are in drought.

I have been feeding various novel feeds.

Some of the feeds come in ton bins, and I pick through it all, because there is sometimes a nail, or glass, lots of plastic, well, it is a right pain in the rear, cause I have to do it all just in case of a nail or whatever...

But, wanted to ask about this....

I have also been picking out rubber bands, not the small kind for sheep marking, but the kind that will hold, say, 20k or more US bills together :)

I have read where some d\feedlots or farmers will truck in a load of lollies or chocolates etc, and dump it for the cattle to eat with the wrappers on it..

This seems mindless and reckless too me, but, alas, maybe I am too much of a fuss pot, I always make sure all feed is also free of plastic, rubber is prob nothing on plastic, which is nothing on nails or screws or staples....

Even if for only stopping the spread of plastic and rubber being deposited everywhere...

Tell me, and I some sort of 60's era greeny ? too worried about my cattle and sheep and my land, or am I on the right track, be nice, it would be far easier to just say what the be nice....but I am not wanting to give up.

PS it drives me mad when I go to some farms and they have bits of metal, fencing, plastic twine etc everywhere for cattle to chow down....at least the sheep do not eat the garbage.....



kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:58 am
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by kilroy60 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:52 am

I don't know where you're getting your feed but if I ever found any debris as you mentioned, I would no longer buy that feed again. Too much good feed out there to be having to go through it and pick out that stuff. My advice is to find another feed supplier.

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by greggy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:13 am

Yeah, most of the problem feed is free, so it is a matter of spending the time....

I could compost a lot, but then, would need to setup a new area to stop access ....and still do not want plastics etc in soil if I can stop it.

On another note, I have had top quality hay that I fed out slowly by hand, well you should sed what can be found in hay bales 😀....lol...all sorts of things, along with a few of old mates tools....

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by greggy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:15 am

PS

Would rubber bands and, or, plastics worry you, being ingested ?

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8900
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Central Texas
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by 1982vett » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 am

If it can’t come out the back end it shouldn’t go in the front end..... :2cents:
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24496
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 711 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:53 am

kilroy60 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:52 am
I don't know where you're getting your feed but if I ever found any debris as you mentioned, I would no longer buy that feed again. Too much good feed out there to be having to go through it and pick out that stuff. My advice is to find another feed supplier.
Sounds to me it’s time to sell the cows versus trying to feed cows through a drought. That is hard to pencil out in a good market much less at today’s prices.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15055
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 804 times
Been thanked: 613 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by Nesikep » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Hardware would be a definite red flag for me..
We have a stone mill, and grow our own wheat, the problem is we have old equipement (fanning mill, etc) so it's got nails and such falling out.. we have a cardboard chute that all the grain has to pass over and we have glued some strong magnets to it (find some old hard drives and take them a part, salvage the magnets).. that would at least get rid of the really bad stuff.. I don't like plastic either, but if it's a small piece like a lollipop wrapper, I could ignore that if it's not loaded with it...
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Banjo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Ky
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by Banjo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm

We fed some calves we had weaned several years ago and had feed delivered from a well known feed company in the southwestern part of the state. I don't know how many rubber straps i found in the feed...unbelievable.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30137
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 196 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by TexasBred » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:30 pm

There is a reason that "feed" is free and you found it I'm afraid. I would think most companies would put junk like that in a dumpster and let the garbage man pick it up but I'm sure they think they're helping someone out by giving them feed. Why not collect some of this junk put it in a bag or box and take it o them and show it to them.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by greggy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm

1982vett wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 am
If it can’t come out the back end it shouldn’t go in the front end..... :2cents:
That is a good point, the rubber may be acceptable, plastics, well...I dont like plastic...

There is a question what plastics may do in the food chain over time I was thinking....rubber is pretty well known at this point it seems.

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by greggy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:53 am
kilroy60 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:52 am
I don't know where you're getting your feed but if I ever found any debris as you mentioned, I would no longer buy that feed again. Too much good feed out there to be having to go through it and pick out that stuff. My advice is to find another feed supplier.
Sounds to me it’s time to sell the cows versus trying to feed cows through a drought. That is hard to pencil out in a good market much less at today’s prices.
Yes, normally, that would be so.

I am doing things on a small scale too learn more, but also may have much more land to use in future....

It is also only part of diet.

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by greggy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Banjo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm
We fed some calves we had weaned several years ago and had feed delivered from a well known feed company in the southwestern part of the state. I don't know how many rubber straps i found in the feed...unbelievable.
Did you pick them out, or feed as is ?

Am thinking rubber bands are not a large concern or problem in the env. As long as not large....

User avatar
ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by ccr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 pm

greggy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm
Banjo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm
We fed some calves we had weaned several years ago and had feed delivered from a well known feed company in the southwestern part of the state. I don't know how many rubber straps i found in the feed...unbelievable.
Did you pick them out, or feed as is ?

Am thinking rubber bands are not a large concern or problem in the env. As long as not large....
greggy, i would not feed my cattle that crap and have a hard time believing anybody would.

curious where are you located?
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
Banjo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Ky
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by Banjo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:57 pm

greggy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm
Banjo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm
We fed some calves we had weaned several years ago and had feed delivered from a well known feed company in the southwestern part of the state. I don't know how many rubber straps i found in the feed...unbelievable.
Did you pick them out, or feed as is ?

Am thinking rubber bands are not a large concern or problem in the env. As long as not large....
We were having it dumped in a gravity wagon and hand feeding it so we would catch all the rubber straps and take it out. i guess they were falling off the tarps, maybe they didn't know it.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Contraband in feed....what is ok with you and why ?

Post by greggy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:26 am

ccr wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 pm
greggy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm
Banjo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm
We fed some calves we had weaned several years ago and had feed delivered from a well known feed company in the southwestern part of the state. I don't know how many rubber straps i found in the feed...unbelievable.
Did you pick them out, or feed as is ?

Am thinking rubber bands are not a large concern or problem in the env. As long as not large....
greggy, i would not feed my cattle that crap and have a hard time believing anybody would.

curious where are you located?
I am not sure what your not feeding your cattle, any fruit and veg and other produce, or the feed with straps...that is not me.

Am downunder....doing things a** about perhaps :)

Post Reply