The Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
The Twins are doing well. They are worth as least one good laugh a day.

They are small - 50 and 55 pounds but they have the biggest personalities in the pasture. I have named them Jean and Joan after redheaded twins that grew up only a half mile from our family farm. Jean and Joan were one year ahead of me. Since Facebook came out, they are both friends on Facebook. Jean and Joan (Human) are identical twins. Jean and Joan (Bovine) are fraternal twins. I am able to tell them apart. Jean has a white navel. Joan does not.

Both are stealing milk. I admire their determination. Price is adamant that her milk only goes to her baby. She is not harmful but she has gone so far as to pick Joan up with her head and toss her a few feet away. Joan only got up and went right back. I have moved all expecting mothers out of the pasture where Addy and her twins reside so they don't rob colostrum.

For the most part they are pretty little girls. Jean and Joan (Human) would love them.

I have heard a bunch of people having twins this year. Glad she is allowing both to nurse even if she's not sure Joan is hers. Its a blessing and a curse.

TwoByrdsMG said:
I have heard a bunch of people having twins this year. Glad she is allowing both to nurse even if she's not sure Joan is hers. Its a blessing and a curse.

Thanks. The bond between them seems strong. I think I am past the rejection phase. They both will likely steal milk when a cow lets them. The test now will be how to maintain her condition at a healthy level.

Nesikep said:
I think most of your cows can afford to have twins and not worry too much about condition!

The cows this fall are heavy. Despite all the woes expressed about over conditioned cows, mine don't cause me any annoyance. They calve unassisted and they breed back. At this moment, it is extremely dry here. It has been unseasonably HOT. I mean record setting hot. The grass in pastures has very low protein levels at this time of year and especially due to heat and lack of moisture. If the state of their manure is an indicator as some suggest, the firmness of their piles is confirming that the protein levels are LOW. Now, they will all have calves pulling on them, their condition gives me some comfort right now. I just returned from a drive to get a Bush Hog part. There is no pasture left on most farms. Most producers overstock. Some are feeding hay. I still think my pasture will last until November when I normally start them on hay.

TwoByrdsMG said:
I think he was referring to one of the other cows that Joan was stealing milk from. Mom appears to love both her babies.
Looking good. I hate twins, but I also can't help smiling when I'm watching them. Cute little buggers. Mine are doing real well. No stealing. And, like you, my fall calving cows are in GREAT condition. After all, we wean their calves in the spring and they have all summer on lush pasture to put on weight and grow a baby.