Frosted Ear Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer13

Reaction score
I know there is going to be a lot of short eared calves that come to town this fall. Buyers usually want them $5/cwt under going market. I have been told that's because those calves could have foot issues from freezing that don't show up until they're fat cattle. Any truth to this or just something for them to ding you on?

Farmer13 said:
I know there is going to be a lot of short eared calves that come to town this fall. Buyers usually want them $5/cwt under going market. I have been told that's because those calves could have foot issues from freezing that don't show up until they're fat cattle. Any truth to this or just something for them to ding you on?

Drives me nuts when calves with ears that are just barely tipped get docked. Just an excuse as far as I can see. But a calf with ears froze off short could have issues that show up later like in their hocks or lungs. But I generally keep my heifers with short ears and have never had a frost related problem so I get pretty bitter giving away good steer calves with short ears.

Farmer13 said:
I have a 19-month-old heifer who lost the tips of both of her ears and she has great feet. No problems at all. I agree with Silver ... it is just an excuse to get your calves docked at sale time.

One spring I was at Toppenish (eastern Washington) and 5 frosted ear or tail heifers came in. A trader I know from the west side of the state bought them cheap. The very next day I was at Chehalis (western Washington). Those frosted ear heifers came through the ring. The climate there is warmer and you just never see frosted ear calves. Being in the spring the backyarders were there buying their one or two calves to fatten over the summer. They sold those heifers for over double what they brought in Toppenish.
One thing about a frosted ear cow. They seem to bring just as much as a kill cow as a cow with intact ears. Funny how that works. The packers must not have a big market for cow ears.

Agree, as a general rule it's just a way to dock you. One year I had a steer with both ears tipped and a steer that lost half his tail. They were also 2 of my biggest steers and I still got docked. I have 2 cows with frostbit ears and zero health problems, raise nice healthy calves.

This lady has tiny little frost bite ears and she wears off our biggest calf every year. She has had 6 calves and zero health issues.

The only justification I have had a feeder buyer tell me about frozen ears is it reduces the best area to implant. Buyers can find reasons to dock one so not sure if this is a legitimate reason or not.

Latest posts