Random Pics Sept 15, 2019

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Such a pretty time of year is seemed like I should be taking pics today.

Random calf.
CAE3RE2.jpg

Fall colours and green grass
am2VByL.jpg

Some replacements. Hope they are bred.
hHqJvDh.jpg

Again, but from further away

Wrapped bales in the valley

Silver said:
Such a pretty time of year is seemed like I should be taking pics today.

Random calf.
CAE3RE2.jpg

Fall colours and green grass
am2VByL.jpg

Some replacements. Hope they are bred.
hHqJvDh.jpg

Again, but from further away

Wrapped bales in the valley
I'm glad you did, you guys always astound me with the beautiful country, and cattle. Nice hay pile, I know you're going to need it. I used to read a book by a guy , in the Peace river country, when I was a kid, must've read it 1000 times, thank you.

snoopdog said:
I'm glad you did, you guys always astound me with the beautiful country, and cattle. Nice hay pile, I know you're going to need it. I used to read a book by a guy , in the Peace river country, when I was a kid, must've read it 1000 times, thank you.

Thanks. Do you happen to remember what that book was or who it was by?

Might be a PITA but the rain sure made a lot of folks good grass managers this summer. We have our 30 acres of grain to cut yet but think haying is pretty much over, maybe another 100 bales of silage. Cows and matches will harvest the rest. Bought 500 ton of hay last Monday. Sending replacement heifers to the feedlot.

Any bets the books are R D Symons? I sure enjoyed "The Broken Snare" several times as a kid.

gcreekrch said:
Might be a PITA but the rain sure made a lot of folks good grass managers this summer. We have our 30 acres of grain to cut yet but think haying is pretty much over, maybe another 100 bales of silage. Cows and matches will harvest the rest. Bought 500 ton of hay last Monday. Sending replacement heifers to the feedlot.

Any bets the books are R D Symons? I sure enjoyed "The Broken Snare" several times as a kid.

I was guessing it was one of Bob's books too. He wrote a few and was a pretty good story teller, not to mention a pretty fair artist. What used to be his place borders ours.

Beautiful country, great looking cattle, and look at all of that green grass you still have. I'm envious! :)

Silver said:
snoopdog said:

Oh yes, Bradford Angier, Living in the woods on pennies a day, would love to read it again.

Silver said:
wbvs58 said:
Amazing country Silver. So, do you sit back now and wait for the snow????

Ken

Lol, no, the snow will be what shuts us down though.
Things look so barren and bare when it is covered in snow yet I suspect it does a lot of good for the country, the moisture when it melts and does the cover over those months mulch the existing grasses and manures into the soil?

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Silver said:
wbvs58 said:
Amazing country Silver. So, do you sit back now and wait for the snow????

Ken

Lol, no, the snow will be what shuts us down though.
Things look so barren and bare when it is covered in snow yet I suspect it does a lot of good for the country, the moisture when it melts and does the cover over those months mulch the existing grasses and manures into the soil?

Ken

We only have an average annual precip. of about 16" including snow moisture, so if we weren't frozen for 6 months this place would look something like your outback I think. And yes, I think there is a mulching effect during the winter and spring months.

snoopdog said:
Silver said:
snoopdog said:

Oh yes, Bradford Angier, Living in the woods on pennies a day, would love to read it again.

Interesting, thanks. It's odd that I haven't heard of him, a google search told me he spent many years in Hudson's Hope, a small town (village actually) very near me, and wrote quite a bit while there.