Retirement Spending ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My financial planner says I am not spending enough money, so I am trying to ramp this up before I retire. It is hard. So far this year I bought a used shaft drive ATV to replace a 21 year old chain drive model, and rescued a 3 year old hunt 'in dog to replace a wire hair that passed last winter. The wife wants a new pick up, but I told her they were too expensive. Where else should I focus?

Stocker Steve said:
My financial planner says I am not spending enough money, so I am trying to ramp this up before I retire. It is hard. So far this year I bought a used shaft drive ATV to replace a 21 year old chain drive model, and rescued a 3 year old hunt 'in dog to replace a wire hair that passed last winter. The wife wants a new pick up, but I told her they were too expensive. Where else should I focus?

A new pickup before wife focuses on new hubby. :shock: :lol:

seems like you are doing pretty good.
Probably better than the planner.
New pick ups are frivolous items. Not needed as long as the old one runs.
New ones depreciate too fast.

If you really want to spend some money how about a new shotgun.
More ammo is also a good purchase.

Stocker Steve said:
Do not listen to a financial planner just really wonder how their balance sheet looks ask him or her. Just remember buy what you need and need what you buy.

Stocker Steve said:

I guess I'm a little slow to catch sarcasm in written form sometimes, so I'll ask, "is this a joke?" You have a financial planner who says you aren't spending enough money?

It was written to be a little humorous, but this actually all true. The planner could not come up with something we needed or wanted, so eventually he recommended 529s for all the grandchildren.

We don't make any car payments, we don't go on cruises, most of our clothes come from the thrift store, we burn wood, we buy used bulls, we eat alot of venison and beef... About half our household budget is for insurance. The only thing we ever splurge on is periodic farm improvements. :cboy: So we are good as our health holds out.

Ryder If you really want to spend some money how about a new shotgun. More ammo is also a good purchase. [/quote said:
Good ideas. I have really gotten some great late season deals in SD after all the high rollers go home. SoDak or bust!

Stocker Steve said:

Don't forget about emus and ostriches. They worked once so should work again; :hide:

TexasBred said:
Stocker Steve said:

Don't forget about emus and ostriches. They worked once so should work again; :hide:

Double aught will kill an emu Black Flag dead. I ran into one of those turn outs before daylight on the way to my stand. They are not fitting to eat either.

One of those brand new fat cat ice houses and the biggest Yeti they make to keep the beer from freezing while you fish! Anything left after that the John Deere dealer will help you spend!

Sounds like all that number crunching you do is paying off. Stay healthy, keep momma happy, and hunt all you can!

SmokinM Stay healthy said:
Took her to a farm retirement auction today and bought her lunch. Hard to beat that!

The auction was a disaster. Older ruanable stuff that had been maintained, but not much demand for that kind.

Stocker Steve said:
Maybe I could just buy her a used be nice Buggy for picking up the mail ?
that's a good idea and call it a spray rig and take it off your taxes. she does help with the chores right?

Daily chores are good for us all. :nod:
Currently, I load the new dog in the truck each morning and check cattle while the dew is on. Lots of birds on the road to steady him, and he needs the work. Sometimes he needs the electricity.

Stocker Steve said:
Aaron A new pickup before wife focuses on new hubby. :shock: :lol: [/quote said:
Maybe I could just buy her a used be nice Buggy for picking up the mail ?

Maybe she doesn't need the top end new truck of her preferred color or brand, but new itself would be nice. Gotta be good to her, she is a keeper. Gotta be a dealership around that wants to clear out some leftover 2018 units.