Alfalfa for Corrientes

Help Support CattleToday:

Ben3

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with feeding alfalfa to Corrientes? Is there a difference in feeding Corrientes than an Angus, Charolaisor any other beef?

sort of like feeding it to burros - they don't need that kind of babying and may founder. the whole point of corrientes is how they can rustle for themselves. If I was going to feed them good alfalfa, I sure would mix it with grass or straw.

End Game . The plan is to develop a 50% Corriente:50% Beef herd of lighter momma's that will raise a fast growing highly marketable calf. The alfalfa is to go with unharvested hayground, Prairie hay and Brome.

Feeding Burros. I see your point. That is the other reason for Corrientes in the first place. They don't need high dollar feed and can adapt to most conditions This a theory my son cooked up...after reading about Corrientes and talking with people that have them, he told me about the idea of a light weight, hardy herd that might have an advantage over a 12-1500 lb. cow herd. I thing he is right.

Call Me Fence, I think you are right. In reality, the 50:50 herd would only be 50% anyway, even if there is an issue with the alfalfa. So with the pasture they will be on, it's a non-issue.

Ben3 said:
Feeding Burros. I see your point. That is the other reason for Corrientes in the first place. They don't need high dollar feed and can adapt to most conditions This a theory my son cooked up...after reading about Corrientes and talking with people that have them, he told me about the idea of a light weight, hardy herd that might have an advantage over a 12-1500 lb. cow herd. I thing he is right.
Fella down road from
Me runs a crap pile of corriente cows with big angus bulls he says he does fairly well with them. He gets quite a few sold black calves but he also gets quite a few painted up calves.

Ben3 said:
He don't baby them his pastures ain't the best but them little cows raise some good size calves in comparison to themselves

DCA farm said:
Fella down road from
Me runs a crap pile of corriente cows with big angus bulls he says he does fairly well with them. He gets quite a few sold black calves but he also gets quite a few painted up calves.

this is such a stupid problem. I am guessing like here, any paints or other non-solid colors get docked badly regardless of phenotype. irritates me no end. :mad:

Hippie Rancher said:
DCA farm said:
Fella down road from
They get docked but he loves them
this is such a stupid problem. I am guessing like here, any paints or other non-solid colors get docked badly regardless of phenotype. irritates me no end. :mad:

Hippie Rancher said:
DCA farm said:
Fella down road from
Me runs a crap pile of corriente cows with big angus bulls he says he does fairly well with them. He gets quite a few sold black calves but he also gets quite a few painted up calves
My uncle raises corrientes he's probably got 60 momma cows but he ropes and leases out steers that's why he raises them. He also has brahmas and some Bradford cows

When the market starts dropping like it is now, the bottom falls way out of those corriente calves. I don't care how much ground they make up on efficiency, they don't make much money.

Bigfoot said:
When the market starts dropping like it is now, the bottom falls way out of those corriente calves. I don't care how much ground they make up on efficiency, they don't make much money.
Truth right there

DCA and Hippie, If a guy loves his cattle, ropes them or just likes to raise them, its doesn't matter to much that they get hammered at the sale barn. Seems like the buyers are looking for a particular kind of calf and none of them have a market for the native cattle. That is changing a little, but I don't see everyone getting on board with the program. If you don't owe a lot, they don't cost a lot or eat as much maybe they are a better deal.

Bigfoot, Snoopdog and 5S, From a practical stand point. Why fight the established markets? The main breeds have dominated the market for as long as they have been around. I don't know when it started, but in the 70's I became aware that Angus crossed with Hereford topped the market, baldies are always good. We started crossing Charolais bulls with mixed cows and most of them were near the top of the market.
Now, I've been out of cattle for 35 years and things have changed a bit, prices...not enough, but it's hard to get in without breaking the bank, so we are looking at it from several perspectives.
In the 70's I bought a little cow, with a bunch, that weighed 610 lbs. never thought much about her but didn't want to sell her because she didn't look like anything. All black and nothing to look at. Every year I noticed that little biddy cow raising a calf that would be as big as she was and as big as the calves off the Angus/Charolais or any of the other crosses.
What I figured out and now want to experiment with is that it doesn't necessarily take a 1200 lb cow to get a fast growing calf. Price of land keeps going up, price of hay last year got pretty high and the banker always wants his money back. So if a guy can breed a good Corriente/Beef cross, then I think that I might be able to sell a 1/4 Corriente/3/4 Beef calf off a 700lb cow for the same price as I could off a 1200 lb cow. Probably not a perfect plan, but why not give it a shot.

Sounds like you got your mind made up. I don't like big cows either, but I ain't buyin corriente anything, and I can buy em for about $3-400 around me all day long. Let us know how it works out

Im not sure what to say Margo, my ewes are eating 5 lbs of RFV >140 alfalfa right now, and the feces look pretty normal. are they at least formed? or looser than that?

Janet

Bigfoot said:

I watched a few Corriente calves sell last Wednesday for $150 per head. The same owners non Corriente cattle dollared over $900

Latest posts