Testing the market

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Will be testing the market today with 30 head of black steers and heifers. Probable about 700 lb average. That is my guess. Guess on price have no idea if they sell. Possible about maybe $1.10 per lb, just have to wait and see. Can tell you tomorrow.

Agree, you'll probably do much better than that. Our Wed market was: steers, 600-700 $1.40 - 1.55, 700-800 $1.30 - 1.53, heifers, 600-700 $1.25 - 1.42, 700-800 $1.20-1.37.

Good luck!

Calves not as heavy as I thought 551 lb average.16550 lbs total. Net 1.24 lb after all deducts.Better than I thought but I am happy with the check.

This week in my part of the world, solid 5wts are bring $1.42 - $1.46/lb (medium & large 1 & 2's). Like TT said, as long as you're happy that is all that matters! Still a pretty good payday!!

There is always a freight discount compared to Kansas and feed lot country.

From the cattle report

Cash prices rose across all regions on Friday. The regional spread between the north plains and southern plains remained but narrowed. Prices were highest once again in the north where live prices were mainly at $115-116.50 and dressed sales $184-185 -- both gaining $1-2 dollars. In the south sales were mainly at $112 -- $3 higher than the previous week.

Renewed demand from beef sales will need to occur from the export markets that have fallen 5% short of last year's numbers. Most notably has been Hong Kong -- gateway to China. Also falling under last year is Japan where bilateral trade agreements are still lacking.

http://winnsborolivestock.com/2019_market_reports

Here is the market report where sold. looks like I received the average price on the yearlings. Not the highest and not the lowest.

Sold 5 feeders yesterday in Guthrie Kentucky.
500 lb Solid Black Cowboy Cut heifer 1.33/lb
575 lb Solid Black Heifer 1.25/lb
575 lb Solid Black Heifer 1.29/lb
2 Solid Black Bulls weighing 585 each 1.38/lb

FlyingLSimmentals said:

Is Guthrie still a weigh in sale? Good price if it is

kenny thomas said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:

Yes

hurleyjd said:
Calves not as heavy as I thought 551 lb average.16550 lbs total. Net 1.24 lb after all deducts.Better than I thought but I am happy with the check.
Steers and heifers combined and net after all deducts on the July 12 market was pretty good.

Manhattan, KS today

22 @ 678 brought $1.60
20 @ 771 brought $1.46
Both groups were about 85% black baldies, the rest Hereford and red baldies.

Saw some Char/Angus cross 37 @ 680 bring $1.57

kenny thomas said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is a weigh in sale?

The calves are weighed as soon as they are unloaded off your trailer. Can make a pretty good difference in weight if they stand several hours before weighed. I always figured about .05 worth.

Sat at the sale in Staunton, Va today for about an hour to see the steers in the 3-6 wts sell. About 700 head total, I only watched some steers. Most of the singles, small groups of 2-4 were bringing in the 1.25 to 1.40. There were alot of bulls which surprised me, and they were .10 to .25 less. Several larger groups of well matched steers, 450 to 625 brought in the 1.50 to 1.62. Groups were 10 to 33 in each. It is a "weigh in sale" like Kenny mentioned. One of the reasons in the spring when we sell during the "rush" we try to be there by 5 a.m. . They start to unload @ 6 a.m. I have sat in line for as much as 4 hours, but during the spring rush usually about 2 hrs or so and it is usually a 2nd load as my son makes the first run early, then I usually go in with a 2nd trip about noon. We take all the steers we are going to sell in the first trip, then I will take heifers or some odd stuff and cull cows on the 2nd trip. If we have a large number of steers that somewhat match, we will find someone with a 2nd trailer to go in at the same time so they can be put into larger groups if they match.

Feeling is they might be a little better in late August. Have a guy who bought 15 heifers this spring, interested in some more heifers this fall and there are about 10-15 heifers and 10 + steers in this group. Total 29 calves. We'll see. Dealing with some pinkeye right now, there is alot of it going around. Couple are pretty bad, and it will cause damage, but a couple that were darted are clearing up nice. Worked them all through the chute this eve so will see how they clean up from it. Most were pretty much okay, about 8 total that have it or getting over it. Have a neighbor with it worse than us and he said it has been a bad deal this year.

Latest posts