Two yearling calving ease bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Their BSE was just done May 24th, and doc says they are ready for work. Both these boys are calving ease models. I am putting them up for sale this weekend.
The first bull is FSSR Shocked Explosion https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action...ntSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=3384894. He is in the top 1% of the breed for calving ease, and 4% of the breed for birthweight. His sire is Shell Shocked, and his dam is a Club King x Upgrade female that throws a good one every year. His actual birth weight was 58 pounds, weaning weight of 562 at 163 days (grass only), and yearling weight of 1065. His current weight is 1310. We have him entered in the South Central Regional Simmental show in mid-June.

This is his sire:

The second bull pictured is a June embryo bull, FSSR Burnin Zues https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/animalSearch.AnimalSearchAction?eventSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=3537043. Zues had an actual birthweight of 72 pounds, weaning weight of 640 pounds, and weighed 1130 at just under a year old. Zues is sired by the infamous Built Right, and out of a Future Direction daughter, making him a half blood (SimAngus). We have two of his flush sisters in the herd; one raised a calf last fall and the other is a bred heifer for this fall.

True Grit Farms said:
The second bull looks the best to me.
Thanks! We had a show today, here is the first bull better pictured. He won Champion Simmental bull. We were pretty happy with that!

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Since CA Future Direction was a carrier of curly calf and hydro, do you test your calves?

The donor cow had to be tested prior to allowing registrations. She was negative for both. I would not buy embryos on any carrier, period.

Thanks for the reply. I expected you would be aware of the carrier status. Glad your donor cow tested clean. It's good to see a breeder who cares. Thanks again.

You don't mean "infamous" for Built Right? Built Right perhaps is not perfect but he is one of the pillars of the Modern American Simmental. I think you meant that to be "famous". Built Right is a great female maker.

Kris, you are getting good calves out of Shell Shocked and based on your suggestion, I have three Shell Shocked calves coming this fall. Your Shell Shocked heifer won at Ash Grove yesterday. The upside is his calving ease but the downside is his growth. Do you think those growth numbers are going to improve?

Yes, I meant famous.

The Champion bull was a Shell Shocked. The Champion heifer was a Bandwagon. Our Shell Shocked heifer was in the drive, but was not selected. She is a bit small for her age, but her dam is not a big cow either. At 11 months, she weighed 776. So to answer your question, maybe? My Shell Shocked sired cattle are certainly not like my Optimizer or Upgrade sired cattle, however they catch up by yearling time I think. He does seem to add lots of length to them though.....

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
True Grit Farms said:
The second bull looks the best to me.
Thanks! We had a show today, here is the first bull better pictured. He won Champion Simmental bull. We were pretty happy with that!

Is it the picture or is he pretty moderate? Nice bulls btw

My son is 5'9". The bull will likely frame 5.5, maybe 5.8. Remember, he is only 15 months old, so he is still growing. He weighed 1310 Friday. To put it in perspective, the steer is the same size as the bull. The steer weighs about 15 pounds more, but frame wise is just a notch taller. Here is a picture of me holding the bull, and trading out my son with one of his heifers. The heifer my son is holding is a senior yearling that was 1210 on Friday.

Latest posts