Illegal to drink your own milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know if it's true yet, but looks like it may be in the works. I understand not being able to sell it but personal consumption should be at the discretion of the individual. Maybe it's like shine liquor. The govt wants to tax it so the prohibit it.

JMJ Farms":2lg5ll9c said:
Don't know if it's true yet, but looks like it may be in the works. I understand not being able to sell it but personal consumption should be at the discretion of the individual. Maybe it's like shine liquor. The govt wants to tax it so the prohibit it.

I don't see why we can't sell or trade between us as citizens of the US of A. It makes one wonder who's working for who.

True Grit Farms":2shmb3bx said:
JMJ Farms":2shmb3bx said:

I don't see why we can't sell or trade between us as citizens of the US of A. It makes one wonder who's working for who.

I would say because, regardless of the fact that many people drank raw milk for years, there are definitely risks to drinking unpasteurized milk. Namely being the fact that a lot of people don't know how, or simply neglect, to take proper care of milk between the cow and the glass. Therefore potentially endangering some unsuspecting customers, either through the consumers ignorance or through misleading them. These particular type laws are to protect uneducated or unknowing consumers.
I still think one should be able to drink milk from his own animal. And I also think if the consumer signs a waiver or some kind of document acknowledging that he or she fully understands the risks then the transaction between individuals should be allowed and with no liability to the seller. Just my :2cents:

JMJ Farms":2tusjpes said:
True Grit Farms":2tusjpes said:
JMJ Farms":2tusjpes said:

I would say because, regardless of the fact that many people drank raw milk for years, there are definitely risks to drinking unpasteurized milk. Namely being the fact that a lot of people don't know how, or simply neglect, to take proper care of milk between the cow and the glass. Therefore potentially endangering some unsuspecting customers, either through the consumers ignorance or through misleading them. These particular type laws are to protect uneducated or unknowing consumers.
I still think one should be able to drink milk from his own animal. And I also think if the consumer signs a waiver or some kind of document acknowledging that he or she fully understands the risks then the transaction between individuals should be allowed and with no liability to the seller. Just my :2cents:

Giving or receiving food poisoning is definitely not my idea of free trade. But I feel like there's more danger of getting poisoned from all the hands that food has to go through before it reaches the table. Some people are just nasty.

True Grit Farms":n42979qv said:
JMJ Farms":n42979qv said:
True Grit Farms":n42979qv said:

Giving or receiving food poisoning is definitely not my idea of free trade. But I feel like there's more danger of getting poisoned from all the hands that food has to go through before it reaches the table. Some people are just nasty.

I couldn't agree more. Some people are definitely nasty. And even some who are not nasty are just "unclean". Maybe one in the same. I think that's the main principle behind not being able to sell raw milk. But I still don't understand why one can't drink from their own cow.

Imagine getting hauled before the courts for drinking milk from your cow. Having a jacket over your head while the tv crews try to get a look at you. Imagine being caught milking the cow, cop pulls his gun out "sir, back away from the cow!!"

My grandfather would roll over in his grave if a law like that came in here.

Seems like it prohibits selling raw milk in "herdshares"--ie, where a farmer sells (or "sells") shares in a cow/goat and the buyer (sorry, "owner") gets that % share in the production. On its face, it prohibits the consumption of raw milk from an animal you don't wholly own. https://legiscan.com/TN/bill/SB0015/2019

Note--I'm not advocating pro or con, just pointing out that it doesn't seem intended to prevent farmers from drinking raw milk from their own animals--just from selling "shares" in the animal as a work-around to try to avoid the laws preventing the selling of raw milk to the public.

I think a lot of the FDA folks are Netflixin-and-chillin these days though, so maybe it's raw milk for everyone? :lol:

It was amended just 2 days ago to allow cow's full owner to drink their own milk.

SENATE BILL 15
By Briggs
AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 53,
Chapter 3, relative to milk products.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 53-3-119, is amended by deleting the
section and substituting instead the following language:

A person who is the sole owner of a hoofed mammal may use the milk from the
animal for the owner's personal consumption or other personal use. This section does
not apply to a person who owns a partial interest in a hoofed mammal.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring
it.

I was talking with a dairyman many years ago. A friend of theirs ask them if they could watch her son one evening, which they said no problem. She told her son not to drink any milk unless it had been pasteurized.

They were getting ready to eat dinner and when the boy saw milk being poured, he said that his mom didn't want him drinking any milk that wasn't pasteurized. The farmer said, well the cows have been out on pasture all day!

The kid drank 3 glasses of milk!

A good friend of mine owns a dairy. They always drank raw milk out of the tank. When his son was about 5 or so they went to a friends house for dinner. The son was poured a glass of milk. He started to drink it and spit it all over the table exclaiming what is that. The people said it is milk. The boy said I know milk and that ain't milk.

boondocks":1cxctg0f said:
Seems like it prohibits selling raw milk in "herdshares"--ie, where a farmer sells (or "sells") shares in a cow/goat and the buyer (sorry, "owner") gets that % share in the production. On its face, it prohibits the consumption of raw milk from an animal you don't wholly own. https://legiscan.com/TN/bill/SB0015/2019

Note--I'm not advocating pro or con, just pointing out that it doesn't seem intended to prevent farmers from drinking raw milk from their own animals--just from selling "shares" in the animal as a work-around to try to avoid the laws preventing the selling of raw milk to the public.

I think a lot of the FDA folks are Netflixin-and-chillin these days though, so maybe it's raw milk for everyone? :lol:
Exactly, I was starting to wonder of no one bothered to read the article.

boondocks":1ezrcbeh said:

You can sell it and drink it here in Texas. About the only limitation is that is has to be sold off the farm not in farmers market etc. One of the few dairymen I know making money is selling his to a Mennonite type homestead group. Only requirement is cattle have to be fed Non GMO feed. They pay him about double what a milk coop would pay dairy owners. He's loving it.

For a list of states and their requirements, go to "Real Milk.com" . It is the site from the Weston A Price foundation. It has a list of every state, current regulations, herd shares etc. Here in Va it is prohibited to sell raw milk, but many do it on herd shares or cow shares. Also. Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund is a legal group that has a "course" for farmers to take to make sure they are aware of all the intricasies of raw milk. They also are involved with supporting and helping with legal contracts etc. FTCLDF has represented the farmer in California (? maybe got the state wrong) several years ago in a fight about raw milk and such.
At an average of $5 to $7 a HALF gallon, raw milk sales, or cow shares, can be the only way a dairy farmer can make it pay. Or the ones that can do things like cheeses etc., and sell at farmers markets. Here it has to cheeses that are made using pasteurized milk. In Vermont, the famous Cabot Cheese company has a raw milk cheddar that we used to get when I lived in Conn.. and belonged to a food co-op. Vt allows milk to be sold from the farm and maybe even allows it to be sold at farmers markets... I can't remember.

I thought I had replied to this thread previously, but maybe I didn't. The Tennessee Bill is a result of 10 kids being hospitalized (4 in the ICU and some almost died) as a result of drinking contaminated milk from a herd share dairy. This all happened in Knoxville and that is where Dr. Briggs is a physician. The realized the mistake in the bill and now it has been amended to exclude drinking milk from your own cows.

Now if we could just get something passed that would allow you to drink your own "corn" byproducts :lol:

sstterry":2wufbsli said:
I thought I had replied to this thread previously, but maybe I didn't. The Tennessee Bill is a result of 10 kids being hospitalized (4 in the ICU and some almost died) as a result of drinking contaminated milk from a herd share dairy. This all happened in Knoxville and that is where Dr. Briggs is a physician. The realized the mistake in the bill and now it has been amended to exclude drinking milk from your own cows.

Now if we could just get something passed that would allow you to drink your own "corn" byproducts :lol:
You did but it was lost when the site went down. Thank you for the additional info.

We milked upwards of 60 cows when I was growing up. I couldn't stand the taste of the watered down store bought milk or ice cream. Nothing like skimming the cream off the top and making ice cream and put a few strawberries and blueberries in it. IF I ever got sick from it I didn't know it.

The Senator who is sponsoring the Milk Bill in Tennessee was on a political talk show today. Over two years 26 kids were hospitalized from drinking raw milk from various farms in his county alone. Nine were placed in Intensive Care and one 4 year old had to get a kidney transplant from a parent. This is the reason for the Bill.

Latest posts