Angus Bulls input

Help Support CattleToday:

southalberta

Reaction score
Bought first 3 beef bulls by myself.
Purchased for "cow bulls"mainly bought on my what is a good animal instincts.
If I could get input on my decision as far as pros and cons that would be appreciated.

Pics with EPDs attached (PS. Some EPD clarification would be good)

You need to compare to Canadian Black Angus breed average epds
bw 2.1
ww 45
yw 80
milk 21
sc 1.23
ced 3.5
marbling .77
rea .69

all 3 have bw less than 2.1 so all rated heifer acceptable

Nice set of bulls, I like the pedigrees on the first two a bunch. I just don't have enough experience with the pedigree of the third bull to comment. Phenotype is really nice on all three.

Gizmom

Looks like 3 nice bulls. Like Gizmom I really like their Phenotype. I pay little attention to EPD's on a young bull because of their low accuracy. I go by visual and what the sire and dam have done.

I'm no expert at all, but I really like the look of the first one. Second is pretty nice, too, but I'm not a fan of the third. It may just be the picture. I also don't like how they're in a foot of straw. Nice bulls!

So if I have a bull at 100 pound birth weight
His EPD is 1. What ish would you expect his calves at? Or what math do you do to figure it out?

southalberta":3g2yr15z said:
His EPD is 1. What ish would you expect his calves at? Or what math do you do to figure it out?

In my opinion, ignore the epd's and go with the bw. I try to have heifer bulls that are built like snakes and have 70 lb or less bw. Light birth weights in their family tree counts for a lot too.

If I was going to give any epd consideration at all it would be the milk one. Any over 18 on milk prove to really raise a calf but also cost a lot to maintain in body condition. Think Holstein.............

southalberta":1dr5788x said:
I don't know the formula to convert Canadian to American.
Black Angus with 100 lb bw.... very big... but I don't know what a Canadian BA ced 1 means, but big.... cows only

Bull number 3 aka 37
My first impression was... that is a good looking heifer bull.
bw 87 gave me pause
looking at his pedigree and phenotype.... confirms my opinion of no fear using on heifers and he'll add milk.

of the 2 pictured together (out for a morning jog? :) ) I prefer the one on the right.... (number please)
both seem a bit too alert, but I'll chalk it off to new surroundings

gcreekrch":1j7rrl1w said:
southalberta":1j7rrl1w said:

In my opinion, ignore the epd's and go with the bw. I try to have heifer bulls that are built like snakes and have 70 lb or less bw. Light birth weights in their family tree counts for a lot too.

If I was going to give any epd consideration at all it would be the milk one. Any over 18 on milk prove to really raise a calf but also cost a lot to maintain in body condition. Think Holstein.............

I agree with your statement. Just last week I read an article from a breed association where they stated that how a calf was built had little if any effect on calving easer or difficulty. I have found it is one of the main factors and most of the old respected cattle men some of who have developed heifers tell me the same thing. I still say you don't know if he is a heifer bull until you calf a few out of him. The best recent Angus heifer bull we used weighed over 85 lbs at birth. He never sired a calf on a heifer that weighed over 80 and everyone looked like a greyhound and slid right out.

Son of Butch":2609vtkf said:
southalberta":2609vtkf said:
Black Angus with 100 lb bw.... very big... but I don't know what a Canadian BA ced 1 means, but big.... cows only

Bull number 3 aka 37
bw 87 gave me pause
looking at his pedigree and phenotype.... confirms my opinion of no fear using on heifers and he'll add milk.

of the 2 pictured together (out for a morning jog? :) ) I prefer the one on the right.... (number please)

The one on right is 38, picture is literally from unloading them.

Son of Butch":29gtebvp said:
southalberta":29gtebvp said:

Bull number 3 aka 37
bw 87 gave me pause

In what manner do you feel I was an aasss in responding to your question?

Son of Butch":3bdzxpxh said:
Anyone who has seen South Park knows Canadian vehicles have square wheels, ergo their cattle have square feet too. :)
Oh, I see it now..... sorry if the square wheels comment left any Canadian vaginas bruised..... I apologize. :tiphat:

Son of Butch":2v0zpucv said:
Comparing American Angus Association website with Canadian, sure makes me appreciate all the info AAA provides.
Another callus comment.... I guess I do owe a lot of apologies to many Canooks.... how insensitive of me....
You're right..... sorry, sorry, sorry.

Latest posts