Tomato

Help Support CattleToday:

wlamarparmer

Reaction score
Doing some tomato from seed in greenhouse for friend. Now have true leaves, but left dome on seedling too
long. Bout 3 in high to true leaves. Ready transplant, can bury to true leave or leave at current seedling level?
Wilson L. Parmer

Not sure about the question if there is one. When I bury tomato plants (transplant) if the stem is long I just bury it as deep as needed, no problem. Probably leave to current seedling level.

You can bury almost as deep as you want, it'll keep growing. The experts say that it helps make stronger plants to bury them deep. I'm not sure if it does or not but it doesn't hurt anything.
If I understand correct, you're worried about leaving the seeding in the container too long and now it has leaves? That won't hurt anything, in fact I think they do better by giving them a little extra pampering inside. I've transplanted plants over 2' tall from the nursery before.

I break off all the limbs until the very top, leaving them. Plant so only the top leaves are out of the ground. The entire stalk will produce roots and a healthier plant IMHO.

This project doing my greenhouse for friend, Used single cell peat starter tray, left dome on
too long. Wound up 3 inch spindly plants. They fall over when water, but straighten up. Know tomato
can be planted in garden deep. these ready transfer to growth media, just didnt know if plant deep
to true leaves or leave at seedling depth. Knew all my friends on here have opinion, and probably someone
know.
Wilson L Parmer

History:
This friends dad retired mechanical engineer, Had idea develop seedless tomato. Did crosses/pollinaton 10 plus
years. Apparently got down to to 10-12 seed per fruit. He say only problem indeterment-6 ft end season. Dad
Dad decease late 2017. he just wants carry on legacy. Plants I have appear sturdy, the fuzzy stem even on new
new growth. Just want do best for frriend.

What slick said. With trees you don't want to transplant them deeper than they were, but with tomatoes the deeper the better as long as you leave some leaves. Just break off any leaves that will be below ground.

I just read your post about the history. I'm not sure, but I believe tomatoes are fairly easy to grow from cuttings. That might be easier than growing them from seed, and that way you'd know the genetics would be the same since there wouldn't be any chance of pollination from other plants.

I always bury the tall spindly ones deep...up to the leaves. Some of the hairs along the stalk will turn in to roots.

Too early here...it's not Easter yet.

wlamarparmer":2hfn89aa said:
This project doing my greenhouse for friend, Used single cell peat starter tray, left dome on
too long. Wound up 3 inch spindly plants. They fall over when water, but straighten up. Know tomato
can be planted in garden deep. these ready transfer to growth media, just didnt know if plant deep
to true leaves or leave at seedling depth. Knew all my friends on here have opinion, and probably someone
know.
Wilson L Parmer
Yes, ready to transfer asap to larger containers like six pack cells. Fill them about half full with growing medium and then put plants in and fill the rest of the way up so they don't fall over when watered.

I pull all the leaves off up to the new ones, then bury them up to the very top. When I grow them in the green house, i'll do this several times before they go into the garden.
The most important tomato greenhouse advice I can give you is "NEVER" let them wilt from thirst or heat. Doing this you'll get blossom end rot on almost every tomato. This is the best reason to never buy transplants. Most times they are set in the sun in those tiny amounts of potting soil..They dry out so fast

Thanks for all responses. Got help w/o getting thrown in the ditch. My plants have the fuzzy stalk, so gonna bury deep.
one response on vegetative reproduction good, but seed I planted 2012 and 2016, so vegetative reproduction not option.
Thanks to all took time to help me on this. My childhood did hot frame corner garden, dig up-transplant, water, shade
with newspaper few days, then mother nature in control. Again Thanks.
Wilson L Parmer

If you want to have some big tomatoes another tip is to sucker the Tomatoes when they start spreading out and the growth will go to the tomato fruit instead of the plant so much.

I sometimes grow mine from seed. This year I could not find celebrity tomato in seeds....Not sure why. I was at Atwoods and they had theirs on sale for 79 cents per plant..But its me buying so I dig around and find a pot with 2 plants. You can separate them and, you got it, you get 2 fer... When I got home I broke them apart and planted in a bigger pot. Once i'm sure there is the least danger of frost, i'll put them in the garden. Since its really windy in the spring, i'll bury mine up to the new growth after pulling all the leaves off below. This keeps the wind from breaking them over and it gets a deeper root system and if there is a frost, its easier to cover. I'm not big on pulling suckers, I've found it really doesn't do much. I plant and let them do what they do.... Instead of planting fall plants(which basically not enough time to get ripe tomatoes) i'll let the cherry tomatoes stay in the garden...The smaller tomatoes will regrow when it cools off and you'll get fall tomatoes that are iffy if they ripen. I make green tomato relish out of mine..

cowgirl8":195v021p said:
I pull all the leaves off up to the new ones, then bury them up to the very top. When I grow them in the green house, i'll do this several times before they go into the garden.
The most important tomato greenhouse advice I can give you is "NEVER" let them wilt from thirst or heat. Doing this you'll get blossom end rot on almost every tomato. This is the best reason to never buy transplants. Most times they are set in the sun in those tiny amounts of potting soil..They dry out so fast

cowgirl8":195v021p said:
I sometimes grow mine from seed. This year I could not find celebrity tomato in seeds....Not sure why. I was at Atwoods and they had theirs on sale for 79 cents per plant..But its me buying so I dig around and find a pot with 2 plants. You can separate them and, you got it, you get 2 fer... When I got home I broke them apart and planted in a bigger pot. Once i'm sure there is the least danger of frost, i'll put them in the garden. Since its really windy in the spring, i'll bury mine up to the new growth after pulling all the leaves off below. This keeps the wind from breaking them over and it gets a deeper root system and if there is a frost, its easier to cover. I'm not big on pulling suckers, I've found it really doesn't do much. I plant and let them do what they do.... Instead of planting fall plants(which basically not enough time to get ripe tomatoes) i'll let the cherry tomatoes stay in the garden...The smaller tomatoes will regrow when it cools off and you'll get fall tomatoes that are iffy if they ripen. I make green tomato relish out of mine..

you advised in first quote not to buy transplants , then in second quote you bought transplants . Which one should a person follow if they are seeking advise ??

Well, you take a chance at the transplants. The ones I got were fresh and I couldn't find the seeds I wanted.

I do not bury them deep I lay them in a trench with just the top leaves sticking out. It will straighten up and grow. If plants are nine inches tall for instance I dig the trench and lay them in it cover about three inches of dirt over the stem. You get more roots in the top of the good garden soil.Years ago I had neighbors growing green house tomatoes. When the vines reached the top they would take them down and lay the stems in a trench. Some in on directions and some in the other some of the vines would be 100 foot or so long from where they first sere planted

cowgirl8":1bcc4lii said:

https://www.willhiteseed.com/products.php?cat=77

hurleyjd":k6vwzac9 said:
I do not bury them deep I lay them in a trench with just the top leaves sticking out. It will straighten up and grow. If plants are nine inches tall for instance I dig the trench and lay them in it cover about three inches of dirt over the stem. You get more roots in the top of the good garden soil.Years ago I had neighbors growing green house tomatoes. When the vines reached the top they would take them down and lay the stems in a trench. Some in on directions and some in the other some of the vines would be 100 foot or so long from where they first sere planted

That's the way old commercial growers planted theirs according to my mother.

Latest posts