Good for another 40 years.....

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Good for another 40 years.....

Postby jltrent » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 pm

I bought this old 1970's chainsaw and it looked awful. It had forty years of oil, dirt, and sawdust on it. The saw had low compression, no spark, no muffler, no bar or chain, major air leak, the recoil didn't work and was pretty much a POS. A new used piston/new caber rings, new carb kit, cleaned the points and adjusted, new crank seal, new bar and chain and major cleaning. I probably got 2-3 hours labor in this thing. It is back sawing. Anybody else like rebuilding junk?


Image

Did a pressure/vacuum test and the PTO oil seal was bad.
Image

The air leak ruined the piston as it made it run to lean/hot and scored the piston.
Image

The compression is almost 155 and should hit 160+ when the rings get broke in. Probably 165-170 new.
Image

It will bury the 20" bar in red oak with ease.
Image
Last edited by jltrent on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby Allenw » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Do you have a preferred parts source or brand? I have an 028AV Super I need to rebuild.

Good job on the saw.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm

That’s pretty dang neat. I wish I had the patience......
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby ez14. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:That’s pretty dang neat. I wish I had the patience......

Or the time
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17993
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 pm

[quote="jltrent"]I bought this old 1970's chainsaw and it looked awful. It had forty years of oil, dirt, and sawdust on it. The saw had low compression, no spark, no muffler, no bar or chain, major air leak, the recoil didn't work and was pretty much a POS. A new used piston/new caber rings, new carb kit, cleaned the points and adjusted, new crank seal, new bar and chain and major cleaning. I probably got 2-3 hours labor in this thing. It is back sawing. Anybody else like rebuilding junk?

I like collecting junk and maybe fix 2 out of 10 pieces of junk i get :lol: good job..I have a old homelite chainsaw think a xl12 is the model i want to get running again it was my great grandfathers.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby jltrent » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:I bought this old 1970's chainsaw and it looked awful. It had forty years of oil, dirt, and sawdust on it. The saw had low compression, no spark, no muffler, no bar or chain, major air leak, the recoil didn't work and was pretty much a POS. A new used piston/new caber rings, new carb kit, cleaned the points and adjusted, new crank seal, new bar and chain and major cleaning. I probably got 2-3 hours labor in this thing. It is back sawing. Anybody else like rebuilding junk?

I like collecting junk and maybe fix 2 out of 10 pieces of junk i get :lol: good job..I have a old homelite chainsaw think a xl12 is the model i want to get running again it was my great grandfathers.


I have a blue xl12 with a lightly scored piston appears in great shape otherwise (low hours) when I get the time to fix. I picked it up last fall and haven't had time to repair?

Image
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17993
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 pm

jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:I bought this old 1970's chainsaw and it looked awful. It had forty years of oil, dirt, and sawdust on it. The saw had low compression, no spark, no muffler, no bar or chain, major air leak, the recoil didn't work and was pretty much a POS. A new used piston/new caber rings, new carb kit, cleaned the points and adjusted, new crank seal, new bar and chain and major cleaning. I probably got 2-3 hours labor in this thing. It is back sawing. Anybody else like rebuilding junk?

I like collecting junk and maybe fix 2 out of 10 pieces of junk i get :lol: good job..I have a old homelite chainsaw think a xl12 is the model i want to get running again it was my great grandfathers.


I have a blue xl12 with a lightly scored piston appears in great shape otherwise (low hours) when I get the time to fix. I would like to find a good used OEM piston for it instead of an aftermarket. (No luck yet)


I have a blue one thats heavy as crap and I think a red one too
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm

What model is that jl? I have a Farm Boss from the late 70's I bought brand new and it has the points on it. Any tips in setting up those points? Mine is a bit cranky starting so haven't used it for a few years, I did play with the points a bit which helped it but sure I haven't got them right. I would like to get it back into action.

ken
0 x

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby jltrent » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 pm

wbvs58 wrote:What model is that jl? I have a Farm Boss from the late 70's I bought brand new and it has the points on it. Any tips in setting up those points? Mine is a bit cranky starting so haven't used it for a few years, I did play with the points a bit which helped it but sure I haven't got them right. I would like to get it back into action.

ken
This is a Stihl 031. To adjust the points take to two plastic plugs out of flywheel. Set flywheel back on crankshaft and there you have your cam. You can adjust your points from there with a small screwdriver. If you have a ohmmeter/multimeter you can adjust the points by using the timing marks on the flywheel and case. You'll have to remove the coil bolts and slip a sheet of paper under it to keep the coil from grounding on the case, then put an ohmmeter lead on the kill switch wire and another to ground. Adjust the points accordingly, will take a little trial and error. I removed my flywheel to ease point adjustment, then aligned it back onto the key without tightening it down to check adjustments.

The best way to fix these saws is to convert them to electronic ignition. I did two Stihl 032s last year. A lot of good reading on how to do this on the web.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 am

jltrent wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:What model is that jl? I have a Farm Boss from the late 70's I bought brand new and it has the points on it. Any tips in setting up those points? Mine is a bit cranky starting so haven't used it for a few years, I did play with the points a bit which helped it but sure I haven't got them right. I would like to get it back into action.

ken
This is a Stihl 031. To adjust the points take to two plastic plugs out of flywheel. Set flywheel back on crankshaft and there you have your cam. You can adjust your points from there with a small screwdriver. If you have a ohmmeter/multimeter you can adjust the points by using the timing marks on the flywheel and case. You'll have to remove the coil bolts and slip a sheet of paper under it to keep the coil from grounding on the case, then put an ohmmeter lead on the kill switch wire and another to ground. Adjust the points accordingly, will take a little trial and error. I removed my flywheel to ease point adjustment, then aligned it back onto the key without tightening it down to check adjustments.

The best way to fix these saws is to convert them to electronic ignition. I did two Stihl 032s last year. A lot of good reading on how to do this on the web.


Thanks JL, I might convert it, sounds like the way to go. Mine is the 031, it has been a very good saw and I think still a lot of life in it, I used it regularly but would not say it has had a lot of heavy work.

Ken
0 x

BigYoung
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: Cattle in Freestone County TX, live in So. LA

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby BigYoung » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 pm

JL,
I enjoy your chainsaw threads and appieciate your skills.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10749
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am

Now post a picture of that truck you're holding for me. :D
0 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby jltrent » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:24 am

It is just a plain ol' XLT 2002 7.3PS 3.73 6 speed handshaker Toreador Red Metallic that needs a good cleaning.

Image
Image
The dealer forgot to remove the carpet cover. It is still there.
Image
Image
Image
1 x

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby pricefarm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:54 pm

You could probably sell that truck for about what you payed for it.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12540
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Good for another 40 years.....

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 am

Nice job on it.. I made one good saw out of two bad Husky 394's, and a bit of porting, Really like that saw for big stuff. I no longer split big rounds, just saw them in half..
I built a 064 with an 066 top end, ported, 215 psi compression, the thing is absolutely miserable to start without the decomp, and even so it's not that fun
I picked up a 12mm 044 for $45.. new chain and recoil rope and it runs great, probably my favorite all-around saw, enough balls to go through anything but not awkward and heavy like the 100cc's
I have an XL101 I'm looking for a recoil spring for.. Sky: I might have an XL12 if you need parts, runs but low on compression... The big beast might be a SXL925, they were pretty popular and built for a long time, the blue ones had points ignition, the red ones went to electronic.
I have 5 Husky 2100's to work on.. all in about 6/10 condition with full wraps.. that I have to work on... I have a fleet of Husky L65's, they're pretty boring in stock form but with some modifications they do alright
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest